SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Just along for the ride

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Just along for the ride

I just got back from a men's conference in my city. Something was said that i wanted to share.

A 5 minute video was show of a man and his son competing in a triathalon. The son had suffered from cerebral palsy since his birth, so the father did all the work. While swimming, he pulled his son behind him in a raft. While bike-riding, his son sat in a seat on the front of the bike while the father (probably in his fifties) pedaled away with all his might. In the last event, a race, the father ran while pushing the son in a modified wheel-chair. When nearing the finish-line, the son pumped one of his fists into the air proud of the victory and completion that he had gained. . . all through his father's work.

One brother stood after the video and said with tears in his eyes "The first time I saw this, I thought 'Why's that kid waving his arms in victory? His dad did all the work, he's just along for the ride.' Then I realized, that's me! I'm just along for the ride. My Father's doing all the work while I do nothing."

Aren't we all just along for the ride?

"I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live. Yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." - Gal 2:20

2006/9/16 14:55Profile

Re: Just along for the ride

Quote:
Aren't we all just along for the ride?

Food for thought, brother.

Perhaps there is something to learn about [i]rest[/i], here.

2006/9/16 15:40
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Just along for the ride

Quote:
In the last event, a race, the father ran while pushing the son in a modified wheel-chair. When nearing the finish-line, the son pumped one of his fists into the air proud of the victory and completion that he had gained. . . all through his father's work.

This is a beautiful, touching picture. I won't even dare comment on it. Things like this are best left between Holy Spirit and the reader.

Thank you, Joe. This post brought tears.

2006/9/16 16:02Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

Quote:
This post brought tears.

It brought a tear to my eye as the brother stated that he was the boy in the video being carried all the way by the Father. Some stony areas of my heart were softened this weekend and i've come away with a greater sense of God's love for us. This video was a major part of it.

We can often go to extremes in our walk with God, either focusing too much on His love without His holiness (which may cause lasciviousness) or focusing too much on His holiness without love (which may cause legalism). There must be a balance, and i've found that the only way to get that balance is by focusing on Christ Himself, Who is all holy, and all loving.

2006/9/16 20:04Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
There must be a balance, and i've found that the only way to get that balance is by focusing on Christ Himself, Who is all holy, and all loving.

You can't go wrong when you look to Jesus, in Whom all things of perfect balance dwell. Jesus was full of grace and full of truth. The perfect model, and the [i]only[/i] object of emulation and spiritual measurement. Bless you, brother. Keep looking to Jesus! I've noticed the more I cast my wonders on Him, the larger He grows and the smaller I become. An elephant looks big to me...yet how much more gargantuan does it appear through the eyes of a squirrel? We should be looking at Jesus through the eyes of a worm. Only then can we behold the magnitude of His true beauty and majesty, and begin to put the things of God into proper perspective.

Brother Paul

2006/9/16 20:16Profile
Azulfire

Washington state

Re:

What a wonderful story......who wouldnt get choked up....How many times has my heavenly father carried me, pushed me,.....diffently lots to meditate here on

2006/9/16 23:20Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

"There must be a balance, and i've found that the only way to get that balance is by focusing on Christ Himself, Who is all holy, and all loving."

amen, brother.

thanks for sharing the story. very encouraging.

2006/9/16 23:28Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy