Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : George Mueller's Secret

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

George Mueller's Secret

I know this is a very timely post for some brothers and sisters here on SI - I pray this fantastic little excerpt blesses your hearts and imboldens your faith!

"It is not enough for the believer to begin to pray, nor to pray correctly; nor is it enough to continue for a time to pray. We must patiently, believingly continue in prayer until we obtain an answer. Further, we have not only to continue in prayer until the end, but we have also to believe that God does hear us and will answer our prayers. Most frequently we fail in not continuing in prayer until the blessing is obtained, and in not expecting the blessing. Those who are disciples of the Lord Jesus should labor with all their might in the work of God as if everything depended upon their own endeavors. Yet, having done so, they should not in the least trust in their labor and efforts, nor in the means that they use for the spread of the truth, but in God alone; and they should with all earnestness seek the blessing of God in persevering, patient, and believing prayer. Here is the great secret of success, my Christian reader: Work with all your might, but never trust in your work. Pray with all your might for the blessing in God, but work at the same time with all diligence, with all patience, with all perseverance. Pray, then, and work. Work and pray. And still again pray, and then work. And so on, all the days of your life. The result will surely be abundant blessing. Whether you see much fruit or little fruit, such kind of service will be blessed." – George Muller

2006/9/16 11:42Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: George Muller's Secret

This is timely indeed, thank you brother.

George Mueller has been an amazing inspiration in my life. Here's another tidbit that R.A. Torrey wrote about Mr. Mueller's prayer life...
When it was laid upon George Mueller’s heart to pray for anything, he would search the Scriptures to find if there was some promise that covered the case. Sometimes he would search the Scriptures for days before he presented his petition to God. And then when he found the promise, with his open Bible before him and his finger upon that promise, he would plead that promise with an open Bible before him.
There is also a book from Moody Press that is a compilation of Mr. Mueller's narratives that show the amazing power of believing prayer. The book is titled Answers to Prayer and can be found [url=http://www.amazon.com/Answers-Prayer-Muellers-Narratives-Classics/dp/0802405657]HERE[/url] for just $6 new and even cheaper used.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/9/16 12:20Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Sometimes he would search the Scriptures for days before he presented his petition to God. And then when he found the promise, with his open Bible before him and his finger upon that promise, he would plead that promise with an open Bible before him.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! This is great faith! Oh, what an inspiration this colossal man of prayer and faith was! I have his autobiography. What strikes me the most about Muller was his baby-like approach to God. This God-approved quality is so infinitely greater than any highfalutin theological adroitness or accumulation of Greek and Hebrew could ever muster. Time and time again, you see the ones who impacted the world most deeply for Christ Jesus were the simple, baby-trusters of no highbrow reputation.

As of recently, something inside of me just wants to utterly disappear for Jesus, to vanish from all mainstream applause and commendations, and to just be known only by God and by those beloved poor souls whom He has put in my temporal care. Oh Lord, intensify this longing until the cord of self-preservation is finally severed and my whole being is utterly and unreservedly put aside to your sovereign disposal.

Brother Paul

2006/9/16 13:03Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Why am I not surprised to see you posting this thread Paulwest?

Do you remember what was George Mueller's regret in his last years? That he had not spent enough time in the Word !!

Prayer and study, happily, must go hand in hand. Without the Word, sometimes, we don't even know how or what to pray.(speaking for myself)

How I admire this man's testimony !!

thankyou

2006/9/16 13:52Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Do you remember what was George Mueller's regret in his last years? That he had not spent enough time in the Word !!

Ha! A statement like this [i]really[/i] turns the heat of conviction up! This is coming from a man who loved the Word, and exhorted over and over and over again the vital necessity to link prayer with the Word and the Word with prayer. If this great titan of God, at the end of his life, can express such a regret - oh, what is there to say about me? Oh, to have such a consuming appetite for pure scripture! A Spirit-illuminated springboard of a particular scripture in the prayer-closet is akin to rocket fuel. It's the best way to break through the stratosphere of flesh and clutter-mindedness and sail upward into the heavenlies where God awaits to commune with our spirits.

Quote:
Prayer and study, happily, must go hand in hand. Without the Word, sometimes, we don't even know how or what to pray.

True! R.A. Torrey also said of George Mueller: "George Mueller, one of the church's mightiest men of prayer, always prepared for prayer by studying the Word."

You are so right, Mamaluk. Prayer and scripture meditation are to be inextricably linked!

Brother Paul

2006/9/16 15:06Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: God alone

Quote:
As of recently, something inside of me just wants to utterly disappear for Jesus, to vanish from all mainstream applause and commendations, and to just be known only by God and by those beloved poor souls whom He has put in my temporal care.

Quote:
Those who are disciples of the Lord Jesus should labor with all their might in the work of God as if everything depended upon their own endeavors. Yet, having done so, they should not in the least trust in their labor and efforts, nor in the means that they use for the spread of the truth, but in [u]God alone[/u];

Could not agree with you more Paul. It is difficult to even speak this much right now. I am truly afraid something is going drastically wrong, even here in places...

His honor, His Holy atributes, everything that cannot even be uttered it so defies our human abilities of language ... And yet, the vast amount of things being said, done and atributed to Him. The unbelievable is happening, that God is forgotten in the midst of His own people while we go on talking all around Him, yet rarely about anything that truly pertains to Him ... just how it all relates to us.

2006/9/16 15:27Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

I would also highly reccomend "George Mueller Of Bristol" by A.T. Pierson. It is I believe a condensed version of "The Lord's Dealings With George Mueller".
It is interesting to see how a man named Franke inspired Mueller to start orphanages trusting solely in GOD, and now here our Saintly brother inspires us to something so foreign I fear to our lives - utter trust and abandonment to HIM alone.

2006/9/16 16:00Profile
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: George Mueller's Secret

Do not have much to add except, this guy is a legend. What an inspiration!!!

2006/9/16 18:01Profile
mamaluk

Re:

I try to shy away from using the 'must read' phrase in terms of books, except for the Bible of course. But this one, in my mind belongs to this category, thanks Roaringlamb.

I too [i]super[/i] highly recommend "George Mueller Of Bristol" by A.T. Pierson"

I believe A.T. Pierson also wrote some other fine books. I read Mr. Mueller's life testimony about 14 years ago, but all the acts of faith God produced through this man still linger on my mind.
Speechless..a definite faith boostering read.

2006/9/16 18:34Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Here's something else I found today while reading through Mueller's diary. There are so many wonderful accounts in it, so many miraculous answers to prayer and faith - but in the midst of all of them, I came across this entry. It provides, I believe, a valuable reminder to the praying saint:

November 28, 1834

"I have been praying every day this week concerning the orphan house, entreating the Lord to take away every thought of the matter if it is not of Him. [b]After repeatedly examining the motives of my heart[/b], I am convinced that it is of God."

Saints, certainly caring for an orphan house is a good thing, a noble deed that is pure and close to the very heart of God (see James 1:27). But Mueller understood that the motives of his heart which fueled this particular prayer may not have been of God. So, what does the man do? He [i]examines[/i] his heart, and asks God to take the whole thing away if it is not His will. Notice, he prays that God adjust his prayer and grant him understanding as to the real motive behind his supplications. Men cannot understand the deceit of their own hearts, even in times of virtuous prayer. We need God to lay bare and expose false assumptions and erroneous motives for even the righteous and scriptural causes in our God-given ministries.

I can't help but think how many Christians embark upon good and noble (and sometimes radical) deeds for Jesus without God first validating the driving motives. Just because something is in God's Word does not necessarily mean it is [i]our season[/i] to accomplish it. All things are in God's timing, and if we're not ready and jump the gun, our motives will be misaligned. Notice, Mueller asked God to take away all the thoughts of caring for an orphanage if his motives were not right. He scrutinized his own heart while he prayed throughout the week, at last coming to the conclusion that the thoughts and motives were of God.

Oh, what peace must come from an assurance such as this! I am positive Mueller could now boldly ask for all provision in Christ, knowing the stamp of God was valid and his heart was pure! Saints, we must also seek God's validation in areas where we are most inclined to minister. Take heed, especially street preachers and fire-breathing evangelists who often wander onto harvest fields the Lord never sent them, with motives and burdens ill-gained. We must all seek and examine our hearts, lest righteous zeal blind our eyes to perfect will of Christ.

Brother Paul

2006/9/16 19:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy