SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Prosperity

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Prosperity

(3Jo 1:2 MKJV) Beloved, in regard to all things I pray that you prosper and be in health, even as your soul prospers.

Is John talking about Financial Prosperity here ?
Please explain "as your soul prospers"
How do we put this statement in context to the new covenant and the following verses

a. (Luk 6:24 MKJV) But woe to you who are rich! For you have received your consolation.
b. (Mat 19:23 MKJV) Then Jesus said to His disciples, Truly I say to you that a rich man will with great difficulty enter into the kingdom of Heaven. (Eye of the needle Verse)
I am trying to find where can I strike the balance. Does Prosperity appear only 3 times in the new testament ?

2006/9/7 4:37Profile

Re: Prosperity

John is talking about spiritual prosperity reflecting out into life. As the soul prospers from the renewing of the mind by the pure milk of the word it then reflects out into practical life of bring forth fruit in keeping with repentence.
While the scripture does not condem riches it warns of the danger of riches and commands those who are rich to share with others. Many temptations come with pursuit of riches and having riches. Most cannot handle those temptations. The better is to be a person who is able to live with both abundance or without abundance. But to save yourself form unesescary temptions I would say the scripture encourage's a moderate to low finacial status. Read book of James about how the rich oppres.
Again, remember I have not said christian cannot have abundance of wealth but be very careful with it. God bless, John

2006/9/7 7:33
mastersuse

London. UK

Question 1 - No. NIV says "Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well"
We can see that it is the soul that John is particular about because that is what is eternal.

2. Your souls prospers when you feed it with the words of God. It becomes rich in God. And then the devil cannot stay there or have power over it. Continually being in the word.

The rich do not have time for God or for the things of God. They are so buried in their riches and how to be richer. Anyone who is rich does not love God because sincerely amasing of wealth or riches does not make you have time for God. You cannot serve God and Mammon.

That is why a rich man will find it difficult to enter into the kingdom of God like the rich young ruler. A rich man is just concerned about how to make more money every minute. The love of God is not in a rich man.

God bless you

2006/9/7 7:34Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

brethren
indeed properity of ou souls is true properity. this properity comes from the belief in the Gospel of our Saviour and shows itself in our very lives, in our conduct and indeed the Life of Christ flows out of us.

being rich doesn't equate to having favour with God, there are very many wealthy heathens out there but what does it mean when a Christian is wealthy? the word says the earth is God's and the fulness thereof. If we have anything it is for the purpose of God's use. Should we not then consult Him on what we ought to do in all things? In Acts Chapter 4 we see what the wealthy ones did, from time to time they sold homes, fields and so on, got the proceeds and laid them at the apostles' feet and the money was distributed as people had need. This way nobody had to much and nobody had too little either.

it is not a bad thing for a Christian to be rich if he understands that whatever he has is not his, but rather belongs to God and he is a steward of God's wealth.

Lord give us a heart for stewardship.AMEN.

2006/9/7 11:39Profile
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re: in regards to John's comments

thanks for your reply can I ask on the basis of what can you say that he is talking about spiritual prosperity. For instances is it the greek meaning or does the word appear to be spiritual prosperity in the septuagint, or is it from a cultural context in which the word was used to mean spiritual prosperity or was the initial meaning of the word spiritual prosperity and the as a result of the fall language got corrupted.
Please understand I need validation. Thank you once again very much
Joe

2006/9/8 1:15Profile

I think I see what your asking.
The word prosper means just that, prosper or increase in something.
Now prosper in what? material wealth? Spiritual gifts? What?
The hyper "health and wealth" teachers take this verse and make it bigger than it is and read into it more than it is saying.
On any teaching we always compare scripture with scripture. Starting with what Jesus said and then the apostles.
Our conclusion of our understanding of what the scriptures say on a teaching should not render any of those scriptures" void or unreasonable."
That coupled with the confirmation of the Spirit should resolve in a christians mind the true teaching on any subject.
Now you can also add in the testimony of the early christian writings,(The Ante Nicene Fathers,!2 vol 90- 300 a.d.) as well as the reformers and revivalists.
In so doing you will find a unifying thread of sound doctrinal teaching on prosperity as well as all the other essantil teachings to Godliness.

Many are uncomfortable with the early writings and reformers and revivalists added into the intpretation mix. Thats fine. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is What did Jesus plainly say, What did the apostles plainly say and how they understood it and The Holy Ghost confirming it in your mind.
I hope that helps. Look forward to talking more, God bless, John

2006/9/8 2:09
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

According to my understanding of 1 tim 6:9 if a person has a desire to become wealthy then he according to 1 tim 6:9 is jepordizing his spiritual walk. Assuming that even if he has a minute incremental desire for increase in his current financial position 1 tim 6:9 still applies to him. Is this correct ?
1Ti 6:9
(ALT) But the ones desiring to be growing rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires, which sink people into ruin and destruction.
(ASV) But they that are minded to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and many foolish and hurtful lusts, such as drown men in destruction and perdition.
(BBE) But those who have a desire for wealth are falling into danger, and are taken as in a net by a number of foolish and damaging desires, through which men are overtaken by death and destruction.
(CEV) People who want to be rich fall into all sorts of temptations and traps. They are caught by foolish and harmful desires that drag them down and destroy them.
(GNB) But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and are caught in the trap of many foolish and harmful desires, which pull them down to ruin and destruction.
(ISV) But people who want to get rich keep toppling into temptation and are trapped by many stupid and harmful desires that plunge them into destruction and ruin.
(KJVR) But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
(LITV) But those purposing to be rich fall into temptation, and a snare, and many foolish and hurtful lusts, which plunge men into ruin and destruction.
(MKJV) But they who will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts which plunge men into destruction and perdition.
(MSG) But if it's only money these leaders are after, they'll self-destruct in no time.
(Murdock) But they who desire to become rich, fall into temptations, and into snares, and into many lusts which are foolish and hurtful, and which drown men in destruction and perdition:
(RV) But they that desire to be rich fall into a temptation and a snare and many foolish and hurtful lusts, such as drown men in destruction and perdition.
(Webster) But they that will be rich, fall into temptation, and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
(YLT) and those wishing to be rich, do fall into temptation and a snare, and many desires, foolish and hurtful, that sink men into ruin and destruction,

2006/9/8 3:38Profile

Re:

Yes it is correct., God bless, John

2006/9/8 6:52
joeSOC

Melbourne Australia

Re:

Based on my previous foundation if a person is saying I want to make money to give to the poor or help the ministry. The verse still applies to him because it is not conditional on the reason why you wish to increase in wealth. Is this correct ?

2006/9/9 1:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy