Discussion Forum : General Topics : Biblical Relationships

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Taylor,

Go for it! You will never regret it! I promise. Now the problem will be to find someone who shares your value system...but God knows where that person is, so wait on him and do not run ahead of Him.

Evangelist Andrew Jantzi (now deceased) used to say about women wanting to marry: "some women get so desperate they will take anything in pants. After they get him they wish all they had was the pants!"

Have a blessed day!

ginnyrose

2006/9/8 8:57Profile

Re:

I have been learning quite a bit about this subject the last few days. I will share a few observations I have been making.

One of the main problems with dating (apart from it not being scriptural..) is that it is a false commitment. From day one, there are things that are required in this sort of relationship, although the two people are not married. So then, the seriousness of the relationship is guaged by pre-established roles that the world says are required within this relationship (e.g., calling everyday, anniversaries, saying I love you, etc.).

Alternatively, istead of acting out of obligation because of what dating requires, it is better for two people to grow together, mutually encouraging one another towards Christ. Ultimately, if they are growing so close in the same direction, the obvious next step is marriage. The commitment they have comes from an over-flowing of the heart and a developed empathy for one another - not rules given by the constructs of dating. Their focus, instead, has been on becomming best friends, which is a much stronger foundation.

As far as physically, I am still not sure what, if anything is appropriate. I do know that physicality often falsely creates intimacy when the rest of the relationship remains shallow. Here is an interesting quote I saw on a blog I was reading about this:

Quote:

Deep friendship is definitely a key part of a relationship- without it, relationships rarely last, or if they do they are not very healthy. And if affection/physicality is used to fill the friendship-hole in the relationship or to avoid working through problems, that can create disastrous issues. However, healthy physicality (within resasonable bounds) can be a very potent and pure way of showing your devotion to/ appreciation for/ love for a person, including who they are inside.

What do you think?

-K DAY

2006/9/9 0:29

Re:

What's wrong with dating and what is courtship?

2006/9/9 4:12

Re:

I am really seeking some Godly counsel on this whole issue of relationships. How does it work? If you are married, how did you go about pursuing your partner? Are there examples in scripture that give us a Biblical precedent? Please respond if you have wisdom, as these are all questions that are immediately relevant in my life.

-K DAY

2006/9/19 13:37
MSeaman

Michigan

dating vs courtship

Josh Harris wrote a book called "I kissed dating goodbye." Perhaps you could look at that, it discusses courting vs dating. he has a website joshharris.com.

2006/9/19 13:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy