SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tyndale: marginal note in Romans 8

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
Spitfire

Re: baptism & communion

In reading through this thread today, I had a thought which was sparked by this:

But there is a darker picture in John 3:14-16 where Christ used the figure of an uplifted snake. Baptism has the effect of united the baptized into the element into which he is baptized.
“For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection,”
(Rom 6:5 NKJV)
This 'uniting with' in the consequence of the 'baptism into death' of verse 3.

He was baptized into what we had become. He was united with it so that the judgement that came upon Him came upon it. Once and for all. He was baptized into 'our death' and we must be baptized into His. He was united by baptism to what we were and we are united by baptism (not water) to what he is.

I began to take personal communion regularly about a year ago. I take it during my morning devotional time. As I began to really pause everyday to check my own heart, I thought of something Jesus said to his disciples: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." As I began to meditate on this, I realized that, in eating his flesh and drinking his blood, I was agreeing to entering into all that his death, burial, and resurrection accomplished. It is the only way that I can escape the death of sin. This is believing, really believing. Gotta go. Dian.

2006/9/6 6:40Profile

Re: Tyndale: marginal note in Romans 8

philologos said

Quote:
But there is a darker picture in John 3:14-16 where Christ used the figure of an uplifted snake. Baptism has the effect of united the baptized into the element into which he is baptized.

Slowly, now. This 'uplifted snake' phrase, seems to be packing a punch.

Quote:
He was baptized into what we had become. He was united with it so that the judgement that came upon Him came upon it.

Well, after I posted last time, I had that good cry on the way home, and what came to me is, (while I knew the snake had been [i]in me[/i]), I had never seen that [i]I was in the snake[/i]. :-(

Then, I'd become acquainted with this verse, from Neil's last compilation (Kingdom of Priests, which I admit I don't fully understand), and it has been coming to me here.

Deuteronomy 21:22
And if a man have committed a sin [u]worthy of death[/u], and he be to be put to death, [u]and thou hang him on a tree[/u]:

I thought of the dead serpent, hanging on the tree, and something's beginning to make sense in that verse - though I still don't understand why one would hang anyone on a tree, after they were already dead.....?

2006/9/7 16:15

Re: Tyndale: marginal note Romans 8

Quote:
I still don't understand why one would hang anyone on a tree, after they were already dead.....?

Maybe there is a [i]trophy[/i] and an [i]example[/i] significance; also, that here you are, this really is DEAD!

I just want to testify further, that I went on to have waves of peace as I let the truth settle in my understanding. And I also realised that the whole business of 'dying' in Christ has been an unwelcome one, in that it rang fearful bells I could not define. I realised my life was threatened when I was very young, and I had a fear of dying urged on me, to procure my silence about the abuse in my preschool years. This is one reason it is only now (the last couple / few years) that I've become better at knowing what I'm thinking AND finding words for it. It has been a process of release, and of causing things to come into being by putting them into words. Once they are thus in view, they are able to be faced and dealt with appropriately.

I know this is a long way from Tyndale's allusion to 'sin-offering', but I'm very glad I followed the prompting to investigate it, as I've been moved on by the realisations which followed.

Dian said
Quote:
As I began to meditate on this, I realized that, in eating his flesh and drinking his blood, I was agreeing to entering into all that his death, burial, and resurrection accomplished. It is the only way that I can escape the death of sin. This is believing, really believing.

Thank you for sharing this testimony, Dian.

I tried all kinds of way to think about my 'salvation', to try and make sure I was 'saved', but, the only thing which has made sense in practise, is not the believing it is all over and now I can [i]relax[/i], but the believing it is all [i]now[/i]; that as I interface with eternity through the Spirit (prayer and worship - simply [i]being[/i] in Him), I am being saved. I can't get my head round any other way of thinking about it.

2006/9/12 6:23

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy