SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Terrified by the Unknown

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lovegrace

Terrified by the Unknown

This blessed me tremendously in my [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12006&forum=44&11]current situation[/url] and I pray that it blesses you as well.

Courtesy of a brother in the Lord - [url=http://www.touchingthenations.com/index.php?reflections1]Touching the Nations[/url]

A chief tells a story of a spy who was captured and then sentenced to death by a general in the Persian army. This general had the strange custom of giving condemned criminals a choice between the firing squad and the big, black door. As the moment for execution drew near, the spy was brought to the Persian general, who asked the question, "What will it be: the firing squad or the big, black door?"

The spy hesitated for a long time. It was a difficult decision.
He chose the firing squad.

Moments later shots rang out confirming his execution. The general turned to his aide and said, "They always prefer the known way to the unknown. It is characteristic of people to be afraid of the undefined. Yet, we gave him a choice."

The aide said, "What lies beyond the big door?"

"Freedom," replied the general. "I've known only a few brave
enough to take it."

See: Mk 16:1-8; Ps 27:1; Jn 3:18

-- Don McCullough, "Reasons to Fear Easter," Preaching Today, Tape No. 116. --

2006/9/2 13:57Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Terrified by the Unknown

Great article! And how much like us as Christians as to wether we trust God or not.

God tells us not to trust in UNCERTAIN riches, yet we do.

He tells us to store up for ourselves treasures in heaven, are we?

God tells us not to trust in the arm of flesh.
What! You mean you want me to trust God?

Well, you know, that is the general idea.

He created the world and everything in it. Yet we'll hang on to that last coin, because if we give it to God, we won't have anything.

If we don't give it to God, we WON'T have anything.

I'm emphasising money here more than anything else, because I have seen it as a big stumblingblock in the life of many Christians.

Either we trust God, or we have a lot of lessons to learn, the hard way.

God bless.

2006/9/13 15:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy