SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Heavenly minded no earthly good?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
And Brother that is wonderful and I totally respect you for that attitude and if you can do that without trying to make everyone else feel like they should be the same way,

Everyone else should be. That's not opinion. That's scripturual. What/where is the wrong in what he wrote...scripturally, that is?

:-orm

2006/9/3 17:46

Re: Heavenly minded no earthly good?

Such phrases come from those who look at the sacred as spooky and "way out". I've heard people say to me years ago when I would tell them my experinces in the LORD (these were Christians who have been in the way alot longer than I was) they'd say, "don't get too far out on the deep end", upon hearing that I wanted to go in the deep end if it means getting away from your dead form and ritualism.

2006/9/3 17:53
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Quote:
And Brother that is wonderful and I totally respect you for that attitude and if you can do that without trying to make everyone else feel like they should be the same way,

Everyone else should be. That's not opinion. That's scripturual. What/where is the wrong in what he wrote...scripturally, that is?

What did he write is his "particular statement" that I was referring to the was right out of the Word? that is what I mean by scriptural.

Let me make this as clear I know how, Scripture and Opinion are two completely different things we all have seen that with that Get rid of the Tv! thread, and unless I can find a plain direct to the point Scripture like "Do Not Watch TV" I will continue to watch it, see those over there on that TV thread were all opinions.

2006/9/3 20:40Profile

Re:

'Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. [b]Let us fix our eyes on Jesus[/b], the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.' Hebrews 12:1-2.

'Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things.' Philippians 4:8.

You cannot deny, that the absolute greatest thing with which to fix our eyes on is Jesus Himself and the incredible, undeserved glory which awaits us - heaven.

2006/9/4 3:55

Re:

Quote:

MrBillPro wrote:
Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Quote:

What did he write is his "particular statement" that I was referring to the was right out of the Word? that is what I mean by scriptural.

Let me make this as clear I know how, Scripture and Opinion are two completely different things we all have seen that with that Get rid of the Tv! thread, and unless I can find a plain direct to the point Scripture like "Do Not Watch TV" I will continue to watch it, see those over there on that TV thread were all opinions.

If you believe to be a matter of opinion,
where do you place this in your thinking?

Philip. 4:8 (KJV)
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Generally speaking, can you honestly say that TV aids God's Grace in drawing you to Himself or is it really only something by which we are amused or worse, have our base nature titilated? What does God see in us when we depart from Him for such choices?
Look up the definition of the word "amusement".

:-)

2006/9/4 4:16

Re: Heavenly minded no earthly good?

Quote:
You never know who you are "subjected" to until they raise their voice.

Ormly,

Just because a person raises their voice, doesn't mean the person to whom they raised it, has to [i]be[/i] 'subjected' to what they said (or them). A raised voice is a raised voice, that's all. But, [i]what[/i] is being said, and whether it is necessary to raise one's voice to say it, (such as one might justify in the case of 'FIRE!') is, with the meaning of the attitude it communicates, an important attribute of the overall message the other person receives.

You are not the first person to mention other forums, and more than one has commented on the nastiness they've encountered outside SI, which for its unbecomingness to Christians, has driven them away.

In that you believe you bring an objective mind to the conversation here, I hope you will begin to be able to look [i]beyond[/i] the stereotypical mindsets you've found elsewhere and consider there may be more than one way to peel an orange ... and more than one way to divide it, too.

People arrive at where they are by many different routes. Remember, Greg feels led [u]by God[/u] to offer the whole range of theological approaches, through the sermons he accepts. That means there is time for an overdependence on one particular line of reasoning, to be challenged by the thinking of those (brethren and preachers) who have found a different balance.

This reminds me of the preacher who shared about his three sons, at the time, all under 12. One would be disobedient to the point of incurring physical punishment, whereas another was so tender, that only a firm word produced his obedience to it. The important 'hearing' we do here, is that listening out for [i]the word of God[/i] to our hearts (Do you agree?), and in the right atmosphere, (a loving one), people will change - will be changed.

Quote:
I believe if you checked your "subjective-objective" meter you might find it needs calibrating.

Even so, I think you'd find if you invited observations, that most people [u]here[/u] have [u]had[/u] to make adjustments to theirs since they arrived, to be able to proceed honestly before God.

And you?

Quote:
provided one doesn't go deeper than John 3.16 [b]with hope of[/b] helping someone sort out [u]the issues they present[/u].

There is nothing wrong with John 3:16, brother. Anyone who follows it up with John 3:17 - 21 [i]as a lifestyle[/i], has nothing to fear [u]from God[/u].

Anyway, these people with 'issues'. Did they ask for help? Did they share your perception that there were 'issues' [i]at all[/i]?

If you had 'issues', would you ask for help on open forum? Are you [i][b]enjoying[/i][/b] having help offered to you as I am, implicitly, now?

Q) How [i]does[/i] one offer help without activating the other person's hackles? ?-)

A) Without them noticing.... that's how.... :-D

Quote:
I've done my darndest to address every issue objectively only to have the subjective one come against my objectiveness in an unrelenting way -- because it rubs them and they can't handle it.

Ormly,

Surely this statement is purely [i]subjective[/i] on your part? :-o Isn't that the whole 'forums' thing..... that one man's subjectivity is another man's object? Or, as one radio wit quipped, one man's fish is another man's poison?

Every word we write here either requires a context (such as what a previous poster has said), or, an explanation of the parameters [i][b]we[/b][/i] have invisibly [i]in mind[/i]. Otherwise, conversations turn into something closer to fantasy football, than wholesome communication - benfitting no-one.

Ormly, I have no idea how you can post 'I've done my darndest to address every issue objectively', after the string of genuine questions I asked (in A Critical Spirit) which you did not even acknowledge. Any chance of answers, now I've reminded you? 8-)

If so, I might find out what 'issues' I 'present'. ;-)

Oh! There is an old thread which didn't get very far, in the Lounge.... Might you be able to shed some light on the matter... 'Love is not objective'?

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10708&forum=35]https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10708&forum=35[/url]

2006/9/4 10:54
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Quote:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

Generally speaking, can you honestly say that TV aids God's Grace in drawing you to Himself or is it really only something by which we are amused or worse, have our base nature titilated? What does God see in us when we depart from Him for such choices?

You read "way" to much into what I said and also into his statement below:

--------------------------------------------------
The problem with present-day Christianity is that we are content with where we are. I am not. I am not happy with my current state of Christianity. I want to know God more. How do I do this? By being more heavenly minded.

What I was saying that there is no scriptures in here I don't see one could you please point out a literal scripture in the above statement, do you read more into contracts when your reading them? probably not so why read more into this? he was just stating his opinion is all I read here. ;-)

You can quote or point to scripture with about anything said here "if you try hard enough" or in the world but please don't forget there are still opinions that are valid also that folks use everyday just at face value to be an opinion and not scripture, and what he wrote I took it at face value as being an opinion.

2006/9/4 11:32Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

You are not the first person to mention other forums, and more than one has commented on the nastiness they've encountered outside SI, which for its unbecomingness to Christians, has driven them away.

In that you believe you bring an objective mind to the conversation here, I hope you will begin to be able to look [i]beyond[/i] the stereotypical mindsets you've found elsewhere and consider there may be more than one way to peel an orange ... and more than one way to divide it, too.

That is an awesome statement! thank you for posting this.
God Bless
Mr. Bill

2006/9/4 11:58Profile

Re:

Quote:

MrBillPro wrote:
Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Quote:

You read "way" to much into what I said and also into his statement below:

The problem with present-day Christianity is that we are content with where we are. I am not. I am not happy with my current state of Christianity. I want to know God more. How do I do this? By being more heavenly minded.

What I was saying that there is no scriptures in here I don't see one could you please point out a literal scripture in the above statement, do you read more into contracts when your reading them? probably not so why read more into this? he was just stating his opinion is all I read here. ;-)

You can quote or point to scripture with about anything said here "if you try hard enough" or in the world but please don't forget there are still opinions that are valid also that folks use everyday just at face value to be an opinion and not scripture, and what he wrote I took it at face value as being an opinion.

I have no problem accepting opinion, as opinion nor scripture for what it states to be absolute. One must separate the two. However, one's opinion should be anchored in scripture. The problem with your observation is that you are ignoring context, therefore your observation is weak and can't pick up on the implications. Make sense??

More simply put, his remark: "By being more heavenly minded", goes hand in hand with several verses like: Jeremiah 29:13 (KJV)
"And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart."

..... but the great commandment, to be sure.

I hope I am still not mis-understanding you.

:-)rm

2006/9/4 12:04
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:

I have no problem with what you say here but one little thing you keep leaving out the "Internet" also.Why?

I wrote this below on the Get rid of TV thread in case you missed it and I don't know how much better it can be said.

The Internet and the TV is a powerful, but value-neutral tool. Like a chain saw or a car, it can perform wonderful work or cause untold damage.Use it wisely and well, with Christian determination to do what is right and pleasing to God, and you'll have an excellent servant. Approach it with the desire to seek what is less than good for you, and you'll have a cruel master. Remember, "It's not what goes in to the mouth that makes it unclean, but what comes out." The same holds true with Internet and the TV, I also have a tape around here somewhere it's a sermon on why believers shouldn't have a TV or the Internet, I bought it about 5 years ago at the Baptist Book Store in Houston, I don't remember the pastor but if I can locate it I will post his name.

2006/9/4 12:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy