SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Heavenly minded no earthly good?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Heavenly minded no earthly good?

In my short nineteen years of being saved one of the things I've noticed is christian "buzz" phrases. One of those phrases is "Don't be so heavenly minded that you are of no earthly good." Now I know that in one sense, this makes sense. However, I have seen it used against christians by other christians who really don't know what they are saying. Often the one saying it is actually,"So earthly minded they are no earthly or heavenly good." The way I have seen it abused is let's say there is a brother who is really set apart unto God. He witness all the time, Prays' reads the word dose'nt partake of the wordly,"lust of the flesh ,lust of the eye's boastfull pride of life" stuff. Well then a christian who is more of a partaker of those things in his misguided thoughts of "I will win them by partaking with them" (ex. going to bars, going to R rated movies, Hitting the rock concert scenes, etc etc. And when I give those examples I mean getting drunk or buzzed, actually enjoying the filth on the screen or really enjoying that Def leppard concert etc.)He is the type who will look at the more set apart brother and say "Ah he's so heavenly minded....." and then will say He's not reaching them like I am. Well guess again.

The scriptures are repleat with, "seek first the kingdom of God" "set your mind on things above not on things of the earth" etc. God is basicaly declaring that if you are truley heavenly minded you will be of the utmost earthly good!!! One of my/our problems is we are not always heavenly minded or walking in the Spirit. We are not always " approaching the throne of grace in our time of need,(which is in heaven).

Well I know that somebody will want to take issue with this post. I hope I am wrong. if this post is a "doudtfull post" then perhaps it should be ignored As opposed to festering arguments. I won't be offended if this post is ignored. But if there is anything true in it for anyone then take it and be blessed and keep on going with God! God bless, John

2006/9/2 9:08

Re: Heavenly minded no earthly good?

Not me. I'm on your side.

Take it a step further... How can you be of any earthly value to the Lord unless you are completely heavenly minded?

"Let this Mind be in you as it was in Christ Jesus".

If you have His Mind then you will know the "Shepherd of your soul"

:-)rm

2006/9/2 9:35
enid

Nottingham, England

I've had that phrase said to me, to which I replied 'whatever that means'. I got no answer. What does it mean? Sinners never say it, they couldn't care less. It is always said by those whose commitment to Christ is almost zero. They still love this world, but don't want to go to hell, so they kind of go to church, but, there are too many other things they love, like their sin, that they don't want to give up, not even for God, because they don't believe He is worth the bother.

The word of God tells us the carnal mind is enmity with God.

Ehp 2 tells us that we were...fullfiling the desires of the flesh and of the mind and were by nature children of wrath...

Romans 12 tells us ...be transformed by the renewing of your mind...

The most heavenly minded person whoever walked this earth was the Lord Jesus Christ. His desire was to do His Father's will. Let us be the same. God bless.

2006/9/2 11:02Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Take it a step further... How can you be of any earthly value to the Lord unless you are completely heavenly minded? :-)rm

Jesus was both Heavenly minded and earthly good.

2006/9/2 11:09Profile
Sentry

West Monroe, Louisiana

Years ago, when I was young in the Lord, and had a zeal and fire for Godly things...a Pastor said this to me.

He said it kinda jokinly...but it hurt me deeply.

Years later, his Church split. Now I know...I would much rather be Heavenly Minded.

2006/9/2 11:12Profile
Nellie

Amen, John.
God Bless you.
It is impossible to be too Heavenly minded.
May we all seek to be more Heavenly minded.
Nellie

2006/9/2 11:44Profile

Re:

Quote:

MrBillPro wrote:
Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Take it a step further... How can you be of any earthly value to the Lord unless you are completely heavenly minded? :-)rm

Jesus was both Heavenly minded and earthly good.

What part did I get wrong??

2006/9/2 11:50
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:

You got no part wrong, I was just using what you said to set up what I said, sorry I guess I should have posted this in that post also, maybe I need to elaborate a little more in my posts but I am just a good old country boy from Texas but I try my bestest. :-?

2006/9/2 11:55Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Hey, while we're on the subject, what about this beauty:

"I'm just a thief-on-the-cross Christian."

I had a guy tell me that while using swear words and telling dirty jokes. His point was God accepts him [i]just like he is[/i], like God accepted the thief on the cross. No need to change and try to be a phony religious person.

The difference between this guy and the [i]real[/i] thief on the cross, was a cross. Both were thieves, but only one was on a cross. I've actually heard this sorry phrase a few times, and each time it was spoken, the person saying it was living in clear rebellion to God. I'd wager the same with most people who remind us: "Don't be too heavenly-minded." What! How can a born again person say such a thing! All I want to [i]do[/i] is be more and more and more heavenly minded! What else is there to set your mind on? The corruptible things of clay and flesh? Mortal vanities?

If you get a true heavenly vision, the Spirit will direct your attention back down here to where lost sheep perish. No one will have to remind you.

2006/9/2 12:09Profile

Re:

Quote:

MrBillPro wrote:
Quote:

Ormly wrote:

You got no part wrong, I was just using what you said to set up what I said, sorry I guess I should have posted this in that post also, maybe I need to elaborate a little more in my posts but I am just a good old country boy from Texas but I try my bestest. :-?

Whew!! You had me worried for a while :-D

2006/9/2 12:45

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy