SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : John 17 That they be one is Us

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

John 17 That they be one is Us

John 17:1-11 (NASB-U)
Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, [2] even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life. [3] "This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. [4] "I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do. [5] "Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.
[6] "I have manifested Your name to the men whom You gave Me out of the world; they were Yours and You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. [7] "Now they have come to know that everything You have given Me is from You; [8] for the words which You gave Me I have given to them; and they received them and truly understood that I came forth from You, and they believed that You sent Me. [9] "I ask on their behalf; I do not ask on behalf of the world, but of those whom You have given Me; for they are Yours; [10] and all things that are Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine; and I have been glorified in them. [11] "I am no longer in the world; and yet they themselves are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are.

[[i]cf[/i]] My Utmost for His Highest.......January 17th

The vocation of the natural life

But when it pleased God . . . to reveal His son in me . . . Gal. 1:15-16 .

The call of God is not a call to any particular service; my interpretation of it may be, because contact with the nature of God; by the revelation of Jesus Christ, has made me realize what I would like to do for Him.
The call of God is essentially expressive of His nature; service is the outcome of what is fitted to my unsullied nature, by Him. The vocation of the natural life is stated by the apostle Paul—“When it pleased God to reveal His Son in me that I might preach Him” (i.e., *sacramentally express Him) “among the Gentiles.”

• To sacramentally express God is by design, the normal Christian life; anything less is not by His design ergo, it is sub-normal. Anything less implies we are not in union with Him. Paul uses the word “might” to imply we have a part, a responsibility, in expressing the Father. His Nature is to be our nature through which the expression of the Father comes. It is to be from His Nature; we act and have our being.

• Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner. [John 5:19 NAS]

• Aside from sacramentally expressing the Character of the Father, the son desires to do nothing except it is of the Father. Because:
……..without faith, His very Life within us, it is impossible to please the Father, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek to be in union with Him. [cf Hebrews 11:6

Galatians 2:20 (KJV)
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ lives in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Service is the overflow of super abounding devotion; but, profoundly speaking, there is no call to that, it is my own little actual bit, and is the echo of my identification, union with the Nature of God. Service is the His Nature [al] part of my normal Christian life.
God gets me into a relationship with Himself whereby I understand His call; that which He desires me to know of Himself ……..
“For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ”. 2 Cor. 11:2 (KJV) ]

……..for then I will do things out of sheer love for Him on my own account, because I will know I am His son. To serve God is the deliberate love-gift of a nature that has heard the call of God and can only respond from a heart that is “holy” His.
[Again], service is expressive of that which is fitted to my nature, progressing in its journey to be in union with Christ Jesus, in the Father. The service is to be of God’s choosing. Therefore:
“Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart: wait, I say, on the Lord”. Psalm 27:14 (KJV) In your patience possess ye your souls. Luke 21:19 (KJV)

God’s call is expressive of His nature; consequently, when I receive His nature and hear His call, the voice of the Divine nature sounds in both and the two work together. The Son of God reveals Himself in me, and I serve Him in the ordinary ways of life out of devotion to Him.

God calls to the new nature of Christ Jesus within us. Is the new nature of Him, our ruling disposition? In this, there can be no compromise. If my old nature, to whatever degree, remains alive in me, there will be warfare and His voice will be difficult to discern. Therefore: “ Wait on the Lord, and keep his way, and he shall exalt you to inherit the land……….Psalm 37:34 (KJV)

Added Emphasis throughout

2006/9/1 11:53

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy