SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Get rid of the Tv!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

deltadom wrote:
Amen to that !! I have not watched tv in years and do not miss it!!1

God Bless you I am sincerely very happy for you if this works for you.

This is probably the 3rd or 4th turn off the TV thread I have read in my short time here and personally I am "not" turning off my TV because my TV is what brought me to Christ and until Christ tells me to turn it off Mr. Bill I will continue to watch it, because I listen to Jesus Christ not man. We should all remember there is a remote on most TV's today don't like what you see flip the channel, can't find any good channels to watch? hit the off button, but I don't feel it even close to right to have Christians to even debate this on a public forum and try to make other Christians that are being Blessed by some shows on the TV to feel under "any" condemnation.
I am sorry if maybe some of you fell my words were a little strong they were just cut and dry and to the point so please don't read more into them if at all possible. If I turn my TV off I may as well not drive my truck anymore also, have you ever looked at some of the signs on the freeways? in Houston we have a lot that advertise topless clubs and bars so should I drive blind and let God lead me? or just not drive. We all have to work out our own salvation and God see's our hearts and if I am flipping across the TV to find something of value to watch "because there is some" I stop, and if I come across something that is of lesser value and stop and I start to do this more and more often then my TV will probably go out in the next weeks trash, but I don't see this happening anytime soon because personally I find a lot of programs that Bless me and quite often.
God Bless
Mr. Bill

2006/8/30 10:17Profile
Rahman

Electronic Media and Christian Maturity ...

--- Until i hear Holy Spirit tell me to me get rid of my TV i won't be ... The problem with a TV is not the TV but what one watches on it ... i'm amazed at how much Holy Spirit has weeded out my viewing/listening of electronic media in just the past 5 years ...

TV to me is like the Internet - it's a tool ... It's bad if one spends their time indulging in all of the filth on it, but it's good if it's used for the provision of pratical information ... i find TV an invaluable tool in my ability to walk circumspectly in viewing what's going on in the world ... In fact i believe Holy Spirit uses it (as with the Internet and SI) in my behalf/calling to teach me, and to make me see the ever increasing ills in our world ...

i've locked out all of the questionable channels on my TV except for MTV (tho i don't visit it much) because i have teen-aged grands, teens in my family/church/community, and i feel a necessity to know at least a little something of what satan is bombarding them with, and i have to admit that at age 56 (with an ever increasing sensitivity to seeing evil as evil) what i see on MTV isn't alluring to me at all but alarming ...

What i watch on TV are News programs primarily ... i love C-Span, Book-TV, Public TV ,Foreign News TV, Frontline, etc., from these sources i gather all kinds of info on what's going on in the world ... i watch Christian TV stations, some to my uplift, most to my dismay, but even those serve a purpose to continually prompt me to pray against such ills wrapped in the mantle of Chritianity ... i believe Holy Spirit has me interested in such things on TV because in combination with spiritually, i'm also informed in the natural and the combination (to me) makes for a much more thorough understanding and witness ... i find it annoying when folk talk about events/issues they have no factual info about ... Cases in point:

- What's happening in Iraq and why? ...
- The latest skirmish between Israel and Hezbollah ...
- Hurricane Katrina ...
- FEMA ...

i've learned so much in the last few days from CNN, FOX, Frontline, the History Channel, Modern Marvels and the Weather Channel on Katrina, FEMA, and why such a slow response to this catastrophe, until i can have a really intelligent and informed conversation about such matters ...

i also enjoy HGTV (love anything connected with This Old House), The Antiques Road Show and The Food Channel ... And yep i'll even watch a pro football game from time to time, tho no one can ever accuse me of being a rabid sports fan ... i know for myself that when i view, hear or think anything Holy Spirit's unction will instantly alarm me to whether i'm being drawn out by my own prurient interest ... When this happens i repent, and move on ... It doesn't happen often because tho i'm a channel surfer my channels are safely pre-set ...

Bottom line for me is if one can't help themselves from indulging in TV's or the Internets evils, or are stumbled by them, then by all means get rid of it ... If not then i agree with Ravenhill (i know what i'm convicted of not to watch, search or listen to) ...

2006/8/30 10:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
have you ever looked at some of the signs on the freeways? in Houston we have a lot that advertise topless clubs and bars so should I drive blind and let God lead me?

That's not the same situation as the tv by any means. We have a highway here in Dallas that is littered with topless and adult store billboards. If I can find another way to get where I'm going without having to drive down it I will. 99% of the time I can. Somtimes it takes a little longer but that's ok.

2006/8/30 10:45
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

sscott wrote:
That's not the same situation as the tv by any means.

I personally think it's a perfect example but if we don't want to see it that way we won't. And if satan thinks I am driving a hundred miles out of my way because of signs on the freeway he has really lost it! What would happen "IF" God was waiting for you to Bless someone on the Freeway with all the bad signs, like maybe a child of God broke down and needing help and could even be from "your" Church, what you just find another way to travel and miss out on helping that person?
This is what I mean this is all crazy ness in my opinion, and if we are that bad off and have no will power maybe we should stay in our cellar with just a bottle of water and our Bible and pray God will take us home soon, but I have a news flash for you the "GOD" I serve was tempted everyday he did not avoid he found a way through it, no he would have went down that freeway with all the bad signs ministering and praying and not trying to avoid anything, the minute I have to start avoiding the bad in life is when I stop growing and become stagnant in my walk. I personally want to be out there among the worst those are the ones that need us, if I buy a tool and keep it in my tool box and never use it what good has it done me? My salvation and my accepting Jesus Christ brought the 'Tool" of the Holy Spirit into me to use, and it is a universal tool it fits anything God gives me instructions to use it for, does you tool still look new? want to have it show a little wear drive down that freeway and pray that those signs would burn down or the city would vote to remove them.

2006/8/30 11:03Profile
myfirstLove

Re:

another one of those things not clearly stated in the bible conversations. got to love those :)

"I personally think it's a perfect example but if we don't want to see it that way we won't. And if satan thinks I am driving a hundred miles out of my way because of signs on the freeway he has really lost it! What would happen "IF" God was waiting for you to Bless someone on the Freeway with all the bad signs, like maybe a child of God broke down and needing help and could even be from "your" Church, what you just find another way to travel and miss out on helping that person?
This is what I mean this is all crazy ness in my opinion, and if we are that bad off and have no will power maybe we should stay in our cellar with just a bottle of water and our Bible and pray God will take us home soon, but I have a news flash for you the "GOD" I serve was tempted everyday he did not avoid he found a way through it, no he would have went down that freeway with all the bad signs ministering and praying and not trying to avoid anything, the minute I have to start avoiding the bad in life is when I stop growing and become stagnant in my walk. I personally want to be out there among the worst those are the ones that need us, if I buy a tool and keep it in my tool box and never use it what good has it done me? My salvation and my accepting Jesus Christ brought the 'Tool" of the Holy Spirit into me to use, and it is a universal tool it fits anything God gives me instructions to use it for, does you tool still look new? want to have it show a little wear drive down that freeway and pray that those signs would burn down or the city would vote to remove them."

i believe God honors it if someone wants to take a long way home to avoid being tempted in something that they may think can cause them to stumble quick. especially when it comes to very lustful images, and most men can fall easily into such things.

let us not deceive ourselves. the flesh is weak if we are not continually abiding in Him. not a lot of christian are in a constant relationship with the Lord, so i wouldn't go tell some, hey, you don't have to take the long way, just beleve. that wouldn't be very sensitive to where they are at.

Matthew 18:7-9
7 Woe to the world because of offenses! For offenses must come, but woe to that man by whom the offense comes!
8 “If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire. 9 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes, to be cast into hell fire.

jesus is stating here, if something is causing you to sin, get rid of it! if you feel that you will be easily tempted in certain things, then don't mess with it. its o.k. and WISE to avoid it. this is called being WATCHFUL.

i remember this story told by a friend. this man had a heart for the prostitutes, so he went ALONE thinking he can minister to them ALONE. instead not realizing how strong the temptations and how weak his flesh, he fell into temptation and end up marrying a prostitute, thus divorcing his wife. it might of been better if he went with a women or a group, to help him minister to the prostitues and keep him accountable, helping him be watchful.

1 Corinthians 10:12-13 (New King James Version)
New King James Version (NKJV)

12 Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. 13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.

this is saying theres stuff that our flesh will be weak towards, but God will provide away out, like taking another highway to avoid the highway thats full of lust, or like, He may tell you to flee, if you are weak in certain areas . everbodys got their weakness, but God says He will provide a way out for us during temptations.

we are also told to guard our hearts. this is not saying your weak if a person choose to not go a certain way to avoid temptation or to throw away our t.v. knowing that we can be easily tempted in watching something if our relationship with God becomes idle sometimes.

2006/8/30 13:01Profile

Re:

Quote:
And if satan thinks I am driving a hundred miles out of my way because of signs on the freeway he has really lost it!

Finding an alternate route to take in Houston or Dallas does not mean driving a "hundered" more miles (or 1.5 more hours). It may take me 10 more minutes or so to get where I'm going. Not really a big deal.

Quote:
I personally want to be out there among the worst those are the ones that need us, if I buy a tool and keep it in my tool box and never use it what good has it done me?

Me too. I go to some of these "worst of the worst" places for evangalism. Driving my car down the road is not evangalism. It's getting from point A to point B.

2006/8/30 13:18

Brother Rahman

Much love to you brother in Christ.

I usually start my day with reading from the Bible, then I check my email and SI, and then I clean the house, and then off to work, I work nights, and I'm fond of, sometimes of watching televised baseball, not as an idol, but as a sport that I admire.

at my workplace, the guys I work with, we use baseball analogies to focus our group as a team....by the way, they call me the "Ozzie Guillen" of the group, except that I don't curse.

I'm also fond of C-Span 1 and 2, coz I'm what you would also call a "policy wonk". In my work I also have to review vast segments of historical political footage, lately its been "American Experience" PBS shows on Mayor Richard J. Daley, RFK, LBJ and JFK. lately I've been delving into the world of the Underground Railroad, coz God willing thats my next project, The Rev John Rankin, Josiah Henson, the great Harriet Tubman and John Brown.

point being, we all must work out our own salvation with fear and trembling. I understand the brother from Australia who must take such a stand in his own home.

The only reason I addressed the post to you was to say "Hi" and God bless you, and that i love you in the Lord. Would you pray for me? I'm working in Chicago and the Lord has been calling me to cross the color line in His and mine selection of a home church. I'm white and a burden on my heart is racial reconciliation in my home town, and now I must walk the walk, not as some secular earnest white "liberal", but as a child of God obeying the Father's call on my life.

God bless you is my fervent prayer, bartle.

2006/8/30 13:59
Compton

Re:

Quote:
let us not deceive ourselves. the flesh is weak

Well said myfirstlove,

There is a saying: If your head is made of butter, then stay away from the flame.

MC

2006/8/30 15:12Profile
Rahman

Brother Bartle ...

--- Hey bro Bartle ...
Much love in Christ back at you!

Amen ... I generally start my day the same way i end it - thanking God! ...

As i said i do occasionally like to sit down and watch a good game, tho as of recent with so much emphasis on money and stars (setting bad examples) instead of team i don't enjoy it as much :-( ... i've completely abandonned pro Basketball ...And praise God that on the "Ozzie" level you're outspoken but without the expletives :-P ---

In reference to your "policy wonk" statement, i was thinking when i first posted that folk would call me a "news junkie", but i just like information ... I'm very analytical, and i like thinking about things, listening to all sides, and forming an informed opinion ... i believe these are traits God gave me for benefit of His use and glory ...

American Experience i think is a great TV program, i like all kinds of informative programs like that ... The Underground Railroad is a very interesting subject to, as is a whole lot of history period ... There are some very entertaining and educational things on TV that are even wholesome enough for a family with youngsters to enjoy together, tho as you said for any saint who choses to opt out altoghether i certainly have no beef

Hey bless God and you that you posted to say "hi" ... This is the kind of thing that warms a fellow believers heart and so i had to reciprocate ... Of course i'll remember you in my prayers ( i just wrote it down) ...

i identify with you as to the burden you spoke of as i'm a strong advocate against anything that seperates us from our "oneness" in Christ (Gal. 3:28) ... What i've found over the years is that when Holy Spirit has made such a headway in your heart and mind about our "oneness" in our Lord, physically one may still see the things that distinguish us but spiritually our mutual bond in Christ as family overwhelms, overshadows, and asides the natural ... We're all one color in Christ - BLOOD RED! ... So praise God, one thing i can tell you for sure if He's got a mission for you, and you humble yourself before Him, He'll perfect His work in/thru you ... It's amazing what a person who'll allow the love of Christ to shine thru them can do! ...

Bro Bartle you wrote;
"God bless you is my fervent prayer"

Amen, and ditto to you! ... Our God is good! ---

2006/8/30 15:12Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Compton wrote:
There is a saying: If your head is made of butter, then stay away from the flame.MC

Hey it don't get much plainer than that. :-P

Also Like I said before you don't want to watch TV more power to you, I choose to watch mine and "man" sure won't be the person that changes my heart about TV only God will ever do that, But you got to love this statement There is a saying: If your head is made of butter, then stay away from the flame. :-)
I have also found out that "most" Christians including myself are hard headed in there ways and you are wasting you time on trying to change them by the way as my Pastor says that is Gods job anyway and not mine, got to go the food channel is coming on it's about eating healthy today hope I won't be condemned for learning how to eat healthy. :-(

2006/8/30 18:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy