Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : 12 Apostles - 10 Martyrs

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 12 Apostles - 10 Martyrs

[b]Peter[/b] -Martyr Crucified at Rome under Nero.
Crucified up-side-down at his request because he did consider himself worthy to be crucified like Jesus.

[b]Andrew[/b] - Martyr Crucified at Patræ, Achaia [southern Greece].
Hung alive on the cross two days, exhorting spectators all the while.

[b]James[/b] - Martyr Killed 10 years after the first martyr, Stephen.
His accuser was converted by James courage and the two were beheaded together.

[b]John[/b] - Natural Death The only apostle who did not meet a martyrs death. Banished by Roman Emperor Domitian to Isle of Patmos where he received The Revelation of Jesus Christ.,the last book in the Bible.

[b]Phillip[/b] - Martyr Crucified about 54AD
Preached the Gospel in Phrygia which was in the Roman Province of Asia near Ephesus [Turkey].

[b]Bartholomew[/b] - Martyr Crucified by the idolaters of India.
Preached the Gospel in Mesopotamia [Iraq], Persia [Iran] and India.

[b]Thomas[/b] - Martyr Thrust through with spear in India .Preached the Gospel in Parthia [Iran] and in Kerala, [southern India] where yet today the Mar Thoma Church exists.

[b]Matthew[/b] - Martyr Killed with a sword about 60AD.
Preached the Gospel in Ethiopia.

[b]James [son of Alphaeus][/b] - Martyr Stoned by Jews at his age 90, and ended up with his brains bashed out with a fuller’s club [used in dyeing clothes].

[b]Jude[/b] - Martyr Crucified 72AD at city of Edessa [Turkey].

[b]Simon[/b] - Martyr Crucified in Britain in 74AD.
Also preached in Africa.

[b]Judas Iscariot[/b] - Suicide And Judas cast down the 30 pieces of silver in the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself. Matthew 27:5

2006/8/26 4:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: 12 Apostles - 10 Martyrs

In addition to the original 12 apostles: Martyr Mark‡ was dragged to death, Martyr Luke‡ was hanged on an olive tree, Martyr Matthias [who filled the place of Judas] was stoned at Jerusalem, and Martyr Paul‡ was beheaded by Emperor Nero at Rome.

And I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held; and they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth? –Revelation 6:9-10

If anyone has any more details on the stories and how these apostles died it would be great to post it here in this thread.

2006/8/26 4:46Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

Well if we should have any rolemodel uotside of christ..here you have them...

I pray i will recive this kind of faith... the real deal, full time christianity, my bible says we are all going to face persecution if we live in christ... all not a few of us...ALL...
if you arent now...praise the lord thank him and get ready for it...

lets all pray that we will follow hard christ.
gods peace to you
christian

2006/8/27 15:18Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

I have read about half of Foxe's Book of Martyrs. Here are a few others that followed the apostles, from chapter 1:

Polycarp: Martyr-killed about 161 AD at age 86, was the bishop of Smyrna. Prophesied his own burning. Fed his arresters and prayed while they ate. Refused to call Caesar 'Lord.' Was not tied to the stake, but said, "Leave me as I am; for he who giveth me strength to sustain the fire, will enable me also, without your securing me with nails, to remain without flinching to the pile." His body did not seem to burn, so they plunged a sword into him that spilled blood that extingished the flame, so they set him on the pile to finally finish the burning.

Maturus, Sanctus, Blandina, Attalus: Martyrs-roasted on hot iron chairs:
*Blandina was suspended in the form of a cross on a stake, held there as food for wild beasts, but they would not eat her at that time. Later, after being beaten with a cat-o-nine tails, being ripped open by the animals, seated in the iron chair, she was thrown in a net to a wild bull.
*Attalus was led around the arena with a sign that read, 'This is Attalus the Christian.' Thrown into prison after the governer saw this Roman being led to the beasts, he was later beheaded, this being the method by which Romans were killed.

St Lawrence: Martyr-These words were said at his death which were carried out, after Lawrence refused to give away the location of the church's substance: 'Kindle the fire-of wood make no spare. Hath this villian deluded the emperor? Away with him, away with him: whip him with scourges, jerk him with rods, buffet him with fists, brain him with clubs. Jesteth the traitor with the emperor? Pinch him with fiery tongs, gird him with burning plates, bring out the strongest chains, and the fire-forks, and the grated bed of iron: on the fire with it; bind the rebel hand and foot, and when the bed is fire-hot, on with him: roast him, broil him, toss him: on pain for his high displeasure do every man his office, O ye tormentors.'

Alban: Martyr-first martyr of England. Was converted after watching a man fleeing from persecutor's hands that stayed with Alban. When they came to Alban's house, Alban gave himself up in the place of the man. When brought before the judge, he was urged to give up the man he hosted, but rather proclaimed his faith. He was whipped, beaten, then beheaded.

Romanus: Martyr- Was supposed to have his bowels drawn out by the command of Asclepiades. The executioners did not want to carry this command out. They said it was an unnoble death. So they were commanded to beat him with whips with lead ends. Romanus sang Psalms during the beating. This so angerered Asclepiades that he commanded Romanus sides to be stabbed with knives. They were so that the bones could be seen. Romanus then began to preach the gospel, so his teeth were knocked out so that his speech might be impaired. His eyelids were torn with nails, his cheeks with knives, and his beard plucked out. After being threatened with fire, Romanus asked a young man of seven years of age to set the record straight as to whether the Christian profession was true or not. Among other words, the young man stated, "...Christ must be the true God..." The child was scourged, had his hair ripped out, then was thrown into prison, being encouraged all the while to remain faithful by his watching mother. Both Romanus and the child were sentenced to death, and the mother gave up the child, whose head was then taken off with a sword. A storm rose up and quenched the lit fire, so Romanus was lead to prison and strangled.

2006/8/29 23:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy