SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Wigram's Englishman's Greek Concordance

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Wigram's Englishman's Greek Concordance

Does anyone know anything about this concordance? [b]Wigram's Englishman's Greek Concordance[/b]

It seems to simply categorize all the greek words used and list the bible references to the greek words which then shows the different words used for the same word, which can be very helpful.

2006/8/24 19:33Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Wigram's Englishman's Greek Concordance

Never heard of it, Greg. Sounds like something I could use!

2006/8/24 20:21Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I am going to order a copy, by reading about the tool it seems like a great asset in bible understanding of the original languages.

2006/8/24 23:19Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: George Wigram's Englishman's Greek and Hebrew Concordances

It's a great tool but you don't need it any more. :-o Wigram's work was done before Strong added his numbers.

If you are using any Bible software that links the words to Strongs numbers you can create your own Wigrams instantly or you can use the online study tools.

eg Suppose I want to see how the word 'dunamis' is used in the New Testament. If I have a Strongs numbered text I can find the different ways that the KJV translators translated the word or use the [url=http://www.blueletterbible.org/search.html#strongs]BlueLetter Bible Strongs Tool[/url] Now all you have to do is enter the Strongs Number for 'dunamis' which is 1411. Make sure you check the Greek box! Now you have an absolute treasure store of information.
1. You have Strongs own definition of the word dunamis
2.a list of the KJV words used to translate 'dunamis' and their number of uses.
3. the Thayer Greek Lexicon. One of the best older Greek Lexicons, although Thayer was Unitarian.
4. Every use of the Greek word 'dunamis' irrespective of variaries of the English translation. (This is what Wigram's does.)You can now browse through the different verses and get a real 'feel' for the word dunamis.

If you want more you can check out the [url=http://www.antioch.com.sg/bible/vines/]Online Vine's Expository Dictionary[/url]

Then all you need is a few decades of meditation on the scriptures...

[i](Greg. I know you like the feel of a solid book in your hand but this electronic version is a big improvement on the bound version.[/i] ;-) )

The BlueLetter page has this statement "George Wigram's Englishman's Greek and Hebrew Concordances were produced in 1839 and 43 respectively and contain a complete listing of all occurrences of each unique Greek and Hebrew word in the New and Old Testaments. It was not until fifty years later that James Strong assigned numbers to each unique word in the Old and New Testaments and produced a dictionary listing each word with its number. This electronic text combines Wigram's identification (of each unique word's occurrence) and Strong's numbering system, using Strong's numbers to mark each location where Wigram identified a particular word. The result is a 100% accurate Strong's Concordance imbedded within the KJV." Courtesy of the good folks at Online Bible (Used with Permission).

2006/8/25 6:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy