SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : How David, When by Sin Deceived - Newton

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

How David, When by Sin Deceived - Newton

Dear Saints in Christ,

There is some sobering truth here, truth and warning that we all must take heed to. I highly encourage everyone to take this hymn and meditate on the example of David. Let us replace our posting and boasting with seeking and weeping less we end up like disobedient Saul, lustful David, or boasting Peter. Oh, how we need a greater revelation of holiness here on SI, and our posts need to reflect it.

"How David, when by sin deceived,
From bad to worse went on!
For when the Holy Spirit’s grieved,
Our strength and guard are gone.

His eye on Bathsheba once fixed,
With poison filled his soul;
He ventured on adultery next,
And murder crowned the whole.

So from a spark of fire at first,
That has not been descried;
A dreadful flame has often burst,
And ravaged far and wide.

When sin deceives it hardens too,
For though he vainly fought
To hide his crimes from public view,
Of God he little thought.

He neither would, or could repent,
No true compunction felt;
’Till God in mercy Nathan sent,
His stubborn heart to melt.

The parable held forth a fact,
Designed his case to show;
But though the picture was exact,
Himself he did not know.

“Thou art the man,” the prophet said,
That word his slumber broke;
And when he owned his sin, and prayed,
The Lord forgiveness spoke.

Let those who think they stand, beware,
For David stood before;
Nor let the fallen soul despair,
For mercy can restore"

- John Newton

http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/h/o/w/howdavid.htm

2006/8/18 11:36Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re: How David, When by Sin Deceived - Newton

Paul,

Thank you for posting this. Especially the posting and boasting and seeking and weeping part.

To all members that I have engaged in past discussions and current discussions with. I apologize for a lot of my responses. I many times have spoken words without knowledge. My motives are often wrong, full of pride and void of spirit.

I truly know very little.

Murray

2006/8/18 14:17Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I many times have spoken words without knowledge. My motives are often wrong, full of pride and void of spirit.

Dear Brother Murray,

There have been many times where I've wanted to jump into a heated discussion here on SI, but the Lord restrained me. I'm glad I listened. I would be very ashamed to have people read those posts now, had I blasted away.

Many dear brothers and sisters here need to pray for wisdom before they post. This forum isn't a toy; when we post here, were are posting in heaven as well. Jesus is reading these posts, and the precious Holy Ghost is often repelled. I think we can so obsess over wanting to right, and trying to prove our point that we don't notice when the dove takes flight. We keep right on blasting away until a moderator locks a post. But by then it's too late; the dove has already flown.

The whole reason brother Greg obeyed God and founded SI, I imagine, was to make a place where the dove can find rest "for the sole of her foot" (Genesis 8:9) and nurture and feed and inspire God's children. But what use is it if she's flown? We should remember that this is not our home, Greg founded it for God. It doesn't matter if you're right, theologically, and the other person is dead wrong. It matters if the Holy Spirit is grieved, and it matters if the Holy Spirit is pleased. Let's find out what pleases the Spirit and keep doing it. Let's find out what grieves the Spirit, and quit doing it.

Don't you know that you can be doctrinally right and convince everyone else here that you are right, and yet still grieve the Spirit? That's why many here have no rest; once they finish squabbling on one thread, they'll go right to another. I post uplifting, holy hymns and try to find rich, edifying material to share and feed you with. But hardly anyone ever wants to gather around and talk about it and worship and lift the eternally majestic Name of Jesus in sanctified purity. Instead, they're all on the controversial posts. Haven't you noticed when Greg posts meat from Payson and Edwards and Ryle, very few will actually take the time to comment? I find it disheartening at times.

I'm not looking for sympathy, just an increased awareness of the Holy Spirit's sensitivity. In returning to the above-posted hymn, we find relevance in Newton's verse:

"For when the Holy Spirit’s grieved,
Our strength and guard are gone."

Brother Paul

2006/8/18 15:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy