SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : 5 Common Mistakes When Studying End Time Prophecy -brayley

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 5 Common Mistakes When Studying End Time Prophecy -brayley

[img]http://bokertov.typepad.com/btb/images/mount_of_olives_1910.jpg[/img]

[b]5 Common Mistakes When Studying End Time Prophecy[/b]

There seems to be a growing interest in the study of end time prophecy (eschatology) these days within the Body of Christ, or perhaps I should say a growing emphasis upon the subject, as a reaction to the recent developments in the Middle East, in North America and in the rest of the world. This is certainly nothing new. In the past, many have predicted the return of Jesus Christ and have worked up their followers into a kind of frenzy of anticipation, embracing charts and commentaries on ancient Bible prophecy, convinced they know the hidden answers. Unfortunately, many end up deceived, disappointed and often disintegrated. Jesus said: "Take heed that no man deceive you." (Matthew 24:4) The problem lies with men teaching the ideas of men and other men falling for it. We need to be led by the Spirit of God which is the Spirit of truth.

Today I am seeing various false teachings arise within the Church, some terribly influential, others gaining strength, taking captive many to their subtle impositions. Much of this is the direct result of unintentional deception, where members are ignorantly teaching something they have only been fooled into believing; but the uglier side of this points to the schemes and lies of the devil trying to lead astray precious souls from God. We then can find ourselves dealing with false prophets and false teachers or worse. The important thing to remember is the warning and exhortation of Christ Jesus our Lord: "Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation." (Mark 14:38) If ever there was a time to watch, it is now.

End time prophecy is a fascinating and relevant part of the Word of God, constituting nearly 40 percent of the entire Bible, and oh how we need Christians to begin to rightly divide the word of truth in this area for our day. Eschatology is incredibly practical, utterly fundamental and desperately essential; I wholeheartedly encourage people to dig the mines of this valuable treasury, but let us make sure we do so correctly so to avoid fallaciousness.

THE 5 COMMON MISTAKES OF END TIME STUDY

When studying end time prophecy, I have observed five very common mistakes that Christians fall into which opens the gate for false teachings to flood in. This article is written as an introductory overview in the hope of raising the awareness of these errors and curbing future misconceptions that corrupt the intended meanings of Biblical prophecies. I can only pray that the reader will remember these as he/she continues to study or be taught the subject.

1. Starting from the Wrong Place
One very common mistake people make when studying about the end times is that they immediately jump into the book of Revelation, or the book of Daniel, or any of the expressly difficult, apocalyptic books that contain much imagery and symbolism, and thereby attempt to paint a description of what will take place at the close of the age. In doing this they break one of the most elemental rules of Biblical hermeneutics, and that is: that figurative Scripture is to be interpreted by literal Scripture and not the other way around. Error occurs when people draw a scenario from the book of Revelation and then try and re-interpret the words of Jesus or the words of Paul to fit their figuratively conceived notions.

Where students of end time prophecy should start when they begin to study the Scriptures is at the very words of our Lord Jesus Christ, The Word of God, and secure what He has to say about the subject before proceeding further into the abstract content. Our Lord spoke very plainly and clearly about His own return; what better place to start than with the One to whom these things concern? In essence, it is like building a house. The first thing to do before assembling the frame is to lay down a solid foundation where the rest of the house will be aligned and set. If the foundation is straight, the house will be straight. Likewise it is like constructing a human skeleton from a pile of bones. It is very difficult to deduce which bone is which and where each fits, but if you establish first the spine, then the rest of the bones fall into place one by one from that anchor point. It is exactly the same when studying Bible prophecy. Make sure you begin at the right place to avoid future error.

2. Reading Beyond the Text: Imposing a Presupposition
This fallacy applies not only to Bible prophecy but also to any study of the Word of God. It is the error of reading the Scriptures with a preconceived idea and imposing it into the text without plainly receiving what is actually being said. Simply put: it is pressing 'truth' into the content instead of drawing truth from the content. Our understanding of Scripture must be so pure that if someone else across the world were to read the same thing we would both come out with the same conclusion. I am not negating the fact that some passages of Scripture are more difficult than others, but regardless of difficulty, we must forcibly refrain from any and every speculation or interpretation that is not plainly drawn from Scripture. I believe it is for this reason that there is so much division and falsity within the Church regarding doctrine. We must remember 2 Peter 1:20 and hold to it doggedly, which is: "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." If you do not know the meaning, do not guess! Simply take away with you what is plain until God makes the rest clear.

Let me draw an example for clarity using a straightforward Scripture that has been repeatedly abused in this way. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 reads: "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." Now from this very Scripture amazing speculation has been deduced. It is said:

1) this is not the coming of the Lord Jesus
2) this is a secret snatching away of the Church
3) this will not be seen, heard or felt by anyone but the Christians
4) this preludes "the Great Tribulation"
5) there will be people left behind who can still be saved
and so forth...

Now the question is, where in this Scripture did they read this? Try going back and reading the Scripture again to find these imaginations; they cannot be found! How could a person without any previous predilection gather these points from these words of the apostle Paul? The answer is simply: they have imposed their speculation within the text. One might argue: "It is supplemented by other Scriptures", but where are these other Scriptures that have not been spoiled by conjecture? The truth is they have none. These ideas could not have been concluded without outward influence. But I will deal with this in more detail in another article. The important key to remember in all this so as to avoid error is to only seek the pure milk of God's Word and not the modified chocolate milk from a man-induced manufactory (1 Peter 2:2). Be ever so keen on this one.

3. Misunderstanding the Church
Biblical prophecy deals primarily with three specific groups: Jacob (the Jewish people), the Church (the redeemed of God) and the heathen nations (everyone else), termed Goyim in Hebrew. Most people haven't any trouble understanding who the Goyim are and can identify them quite easily within Scripture, however, we cannot say the same about the other two companies. Doctrinal error can arise from failing to determine which people group is being conveyed at the time, and so it is important to take notice of the context of the passage; precisely who is speaking and to whom. Yet although it is necessary to give mention of this point, there is a far deeper mistake in this area that needs to be addressed.

Failure to discern the Body of Christ, which is the Church of the living God, and having a skewed understanding of who the Bride is, is a serious mistake commonly made today. Many Christians hold to a false idea that the Church has replaced the nation of Israel as God's chosen people, or that the Church is made up of all those that call themselves 'Christians', a largely Gentile connotation. Let me remind us of some basic Biblical facts:

First of all, the word "Church" comes from the Greek word "ecclesia" which means "the called out ones". Isn't that wonderful? "Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2:5) Our Father in heaven is preparing a Bride for His Son Jesus, made up of those who are called out of the world according to the foreknowledge and wisdom of God. The Church did not begin some time in A.D., but truly began when men began to call upon the name of the Lord out of a pure heart. It is not a New Testament institution, but has been in motion since the foundation of the world, but only now manifested in these last days. Hebrews chapter 11, known as the Hall of Faith, records those great individuals who laid hold of God through faith and won the good report. Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses... all part of the company of saints. Now hear what it says in verses 8-10: "By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: for he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God." Indeed the "called out ones" span the ages of time. Jew, Greek, slave, free, male, female, old, young... there is no boundaries upon who is in Christ.

Therefore, when we speak of the Church, or the ecclesia, we are talking about all the Body of Christ combined. Hebrews 12:1 recognizes a "great cloud of witnesses", John sees the Bride of Christ descending from heaven comprised of those whose named are written in the Lamb's Book of Life, Paul, when speaking of the coming of the Lord, describes the whole Body of Christ being caught up to meet the Lord in the air, starting with the resurrection of the dead, and followed by those "which are alive and remain", making it clear that the Church is not simply a body of presently existent Christians (Matthew 22:31-32). Remembering this will save you from future deception. Be alert!

4. Misunderstanding the Great Tribulation
This one misunderstanding, deliberate or not, has cost the Church much regression in the study of eschatology. The problem lies with Christians making the mistake of calling the great tribulation (a time prophesied as occurring immediately prior to the coming of the Lord) the wrath of God (the judgment prophesied as manifesting with the coming of the Lord) This simply is not true, and just as Jesus said: "Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God." There is much to be said about this fallacy, but I will only touch briefly upon it for the sake of this being introductory:

Our Lord Jesus first used the phrase 'great tribulation' when speaking of the prophecy of Daniel to His disciples on the Mount of Olives (Matthew 24:21), a conversation later called 'the Olivet Discourse'. He said: "For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be." Now notice that Jesus does not say "then shall be THE Great Tribulation", but merely 'then shall be great tribulation'. Too often we have a romanticized picture of what that time is all about. 'Great tribulation' is translated "megas thlpsis", meaning "big pressure". The fact is, ever since the beginning of Creation until the present day there has always been the reality of pressure. Jesus referred to this as "birth pains" or "sorrows" (see Matthew 24:8). As we grow closer and closer unto the end of the age, so do these birth pains grow in intensity and frequency; simply ask a mother who has gone through labour. The nearer to the return of Christ the more pressure is applied. Jesus purely said that in the end there would be great pressure, such as the world has never before experienced. This, my dear friends, is not the wrath of God but the groaning of creation, the painful road to deliverance, the necessary labour towards the advent of Christ and the mounting opposition of the enemy, the devil, who is trying everything he can to prevent the establishment of the Kingdom of God upon the Earth. But glory to God, we know what the end shall be, and what a glorious end! "Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy. A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. And ye now therefore have sorrow: but I will see you again, and your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no man taketh from you." (John 16:20-22) Hallelujah!

And without dispute, we know that when Christ our Life shall appear, "...out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God." (Revelation 19:15) Where then is the confusion? None.

5. Handling Prophecy Chronologically
We come now to the fifth and final common mistake when studying Biblical prophecy, and that is in the mishandling of prophecy by assuming a neat and tidy chronological order of revelation. It is interesting to note that no well-versed Bible scholar would concede that the prophetic books of the Bible are chronological: Isaiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Joel, Zechariah, for example, are all highly discursive (jumping from one subject to another) and segmented in their order of vision. If you were to read these books supposing an orderly sequence of events the final outcome would be confusing and incontructible. Is it not characteristically the pattern of God to reveal unto His people discursive dreams and visions? I remember one night I received a vision in four separate segments; the first of which I saw myself as an elderly man; the remaining three I was my normal age. This may not seem logical to us, who would reason putting the eldest vision at the end, but our ways are not His ways (Isaiah 55:8-9).

However, though Christians acknowledge Biblical prophecy is understood discursively rather than consecutively, many people fail to apply that same consistency to the book of Revelation and flagrantly handle it as if it were a chronologically received vision, thus falling into a two large dilemmas. First, if you consider the book in this way, you will find the vision at odds with what Jesus, Paul and the other Bible prophets disclosed about the things of the end. Secondly, you will find numerous discrepancies within the vision itself (for example, the baby Jesus being born in the end times? After the antichrist comes? Revelation 12:5) The book of Revelation is not one long grandiose vision that John received in perfect chronological order, but a variety of short discursive visions which he received back-to-back, the junction of these scenes being his repeated phrase, "I saw". Therefore the book cannot be treated any differently than the other prophetic books before it. To do so would be hermeneutically unrealistic.

THE SPIRIT OF TRUTH

I certainly hope that by these brief points your study of eschatology and Biblical prophecy will be rooted and grounded in proper Scriptural understanding after a sincere love of the truth. The Lord did not set out to confuse His people in this area, but rather desires for us to know and apprehend these matters, even more so as the great Day approaches. May we always seek to be filled with the precious Holy Spirit of promise, that He may give light and understanding to our dark and feeble minds; light we so desperately need in this rapidly approaching midnight hour.

"Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come." (John 16:13)

2006/8/17 0:00Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: 5 Common Mistakes When Studying End Time Prophecy -brayley

Some good, solid, thinking here Greg. Thanks for posting it.

2006/8/17 9:06Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Greg,

Was this message done by Eli?

Murray

2006/8/17 12:47Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: 5 Common Mistakes When Studying End Time Prophecy -brayley

Quote:
Let me draw an example for clarity using a straightforward Scripture that has been repeatedly abused in this way. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17 reads: "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." Now from this very Scripture amazing speculation has been deduced. It is said:

1) this is not the coming of the Lord Jesus
2) this is a secret snatching away of the Church
3) this will not be seen, heard or felt by anyone but the Christians
4) this preludes "the Great Tribulation"
5) there will be people left behind who can still be saved
and so forth...

This, I think, is the most blatant example of all. I have pointed it out over the years and when I have the person always points to someone smarter than me as their source. A person can be a triple doctorate and be 'wrong'. The passage is too strait forward to tamper with.

2006/8/17 13:00Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Many Christians hold to a false idea that the Church has replaced the nation of Israel as God's chosen people, or that the Church is made up of all those that call themselves 'Christians', a largely Gentile connotation. Let me remind us of some basic Biblical facts:

First of all, the word "Church" comes from the Greek word "ecclesia" which means "the called out ones". Isn't that wonderful? "Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." (1 Peter 2:5) Our Father in heaven is preparing a Bride for His Son Jesus, made up of those who are called out of the world according to the foreknowledge and wisdom of God. The Church did not begin some time in A.D., but truly began when men began to call upon the name of the Lord out of a pure heart. It is not a New Testament institution, but has been in motion since the foundation of the world, but only now manifested in these last days. Hebrews chapter 11, known as the Hall of Faith, records those great individuals who laid hold of God through faith and won the good report. Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses... all part of the company of saints.

This is somewhat of a new thought to me. I do see in the OT where gentiles were "saved." Rahab being one example. But does this line of thinking take away from Isreal being a distict people of God?

2006/8/17 13:27Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
This is somewhat of a new thought to me. I do see in the OT where gentiles were "saved." Rahab being one example. But does this line of thinking take away from Isreal being a distict people of God?

This is an issue that we have discussed often here. My own view is that the Church which Christ said he would build is not the same as the 'Church of Israel'. That does not mean that ultimately the 'saved' out of Israel will not be included in the Church of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
The Church did not begin some time in A.D., but truly began when men began to call upon the name of the Lord out of a pure heart. It is not a New Testament institution, but has been in motion since the foundation of the world, but only now manifested in these last days.

The simple question that needs to be asked here is how could stones be added to the building until the foundation stone had first been rejected and then laid by God. It was the 'rejected' stone which is the foundation stone of the Church.

2006/8/17 13:35Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Was this message done by Eli?

yes, Eli Brayley. He is a 21 year old brother if I am not mistaken and really has a heart for God. I have been able to meet with him and fellowship.

2006/8/17 20:54Profile
Eli_Barnabas

Cache Valley, Utah

Re:

Quote:

Josh, that's a good question. Let me elaborate:

No, it doesn't take away from the distinction of Israel. We need to remember a very important Scripture:

[i]"For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.
And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert grafted in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;
Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee.
Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be grafted in.
Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be grafted in: for God is able to graft them in again.
For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert grafted contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be grafted into their own olive tree?
For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in."[/i] - Romans 11:16-25

I say, this entire chapter is one of the most overlooked chapter in the whole Bible which leads to erroneous thinking about the Church and the Jews. Let us never ever forget we are GRAFTED in to the tree, the Jewish tree, Abraham being the root. There is no Church of Israel and Church of Gentiles. All are one in Christ (Galatians 3:28). Paul warns us not to boast against the vine or be conceited. Many people don't like the fact that we are grafted into the Jewish tree and attempt to disconnect the two. Remember, we being Gentiles were not originally called by God, we did not seek God; He already had a people called by His name. It is by the mercy of God we are grafted INTO that people! God has not chosen a new people, He has included the Gentiles into His already chosen people.

So what is the Church? The Church is all those called out by God. All those of the household of faith, from the beginning of the world to the end. Jesus is the "Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" and by faith did men look to Him from the beginning until now. [i]"The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart."[/i] (Romans 10:8) God gave a promise to Adam for all mankind that a Saviour would come and save us from our sins. This is the faith men hold to.

The apostles were Jewish, and they were the pillars of the Church! Jesus was Jewish, our Bible is Jewish, everything about the Church is Jewish because we have been grafted into to the Jewish tree! To disconnect Gentiles and Jews is absolutely wrong.

Now not all Jews believe, are they of the tree? No. But not all Jews are unbelievers either, are they of the tree? Yes. A believing Jew is a true Jew, of the seed of Abraham and of the word of faith. An unbelieving Jew is of the seed of Abraham but not of the word of faith. A Gentile is not of the seed of Abraham but of the word of faith. It is really not complicated. A Jewish believer overlaps both seed and faith. He is both Jew by nature and by the Spirit. It is not separate.

Therefore heed the words of Paul: [i]"Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee."[/i] God has not utterly forsaken His people. For if the casting away of them has been the riches of the world and the receiving of the Gentiles, how much for their reconciliation!

[i]"For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.
For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.
O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?
Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?
For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen."[/i] (Romans 11:29-36)

2006/8/18 8:27Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I say, this entire chapter is one of the most overlooked chapter in the whole Bible which leads to erroneous thinking about the Church and the Jews. Let us never ever forget we are GRAFTED in to the tree, the Jewish tree, Abraham being the root.

Hi Eli,

I enjoyed the article very much. I wonder if you have considered that Jesus Christ is actually the 'Root'? That He is [u]T[/u]he [u]S[/u]eed to which the promises were actually made? (Gal 3:16)

God Bless,

Robert

2006/8/18 8:36Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I say, this entire chapter is one of the most overlooked chapter in the whole Bible which leads to erroneous thinking about the Church and the Jews. Let us never ever forget we are GRAFTED in to the tree, the Jewish tree, Abraham being the root.

Abraham is certainly the root, in my opinion. Perhaps more precisely 'Abrahamic Faith' is the root. The faith that Abraham had before he was in covenant with God. In a sense before he was a 'Jew', before his circumcision.

One of the problems we have here is that we are using different terms as though they are synonyms; this always causes confusion. We need some working definitions of Hebrew
Israel
Jew
The Circumcision We also need to keep in mind that what the United Nations calls "[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_UN_Partition_Plan]Israel[/url]" is a modern sovereign state and may or may not have any relationship to the Biblical use of the word 'Israel'.

The word Jew derives from Judah. The term is used in the scriptures from the time of the Babylonian captivity: 2Kings 16:6; 18:26,28; 25:25; 2Chr 32:18; Ezra 4:12,23; 5:1,5; 6:7-8,14; Neh 1:2; 2:16; 4:1-2,12; 5:1,8,17; 6:6; 13:23-24; Esth 2:5; 3:4,6,10,13; 4:3,7,13-14,16; 5:13; 6:10,13; 8:1,3,5,7-9,11,13,16-9:3; 9:5-6,10,12-13,15-16,18-20,22-25,27-31; 10:3; Is 36:11,13; Jer 32:12; 34:9; 38:19; 40:11-12,15; 41:3; 44:1; 52:28,30; Dan 3:8,12; Zech 8:23.

The earliest of these references is 2 Kings 16:6 which refers to the alliance of Syria and Israel (the Northern Kingdom) which drove 'the Jews from Elath'.king of Syria. The position of this scripture is significant as 2 Kings 17 is the account of the end of 'Israel'. “In the ninth year of Hoshea the king of Assyria took Samaria, and carried Israel away into Assyria, and placed them in Halah and in Habor by the river of Gozan, and in the cities of the Medes.”
(2Kings 17:6 KJVS) Samaria, (the city) was taken and the northern tribes of 'Israel' were deported to Assyria; this is key date BC 722. From this point the northern tribes pass out of biblical history and into legend.

In the Old Testament then, the term Jew does not mean what it means in the New Testament. In the OT it is not a religious term or a description on the descendants of Abraham but is a term describing the inhabitants of the nation state of Judah. It is not, and this is important, at this time a synonym for Israel. In fact, it is a term used to distinguish the remnants of Judah [u]from[/u] the banished nation of 'Israel'. You can see why this can get confusing. ;-) In the book of Jeremiah the word 'Israel' has to be read carefully with regard to the context to discover who Jeremiah is speaking about. Most times when he says 'Israel' he means 'Israel' as distinct from Judah. (Israel had already gone into captivity 120 years earlier. However when he describes God as 'the God of Israel' he is thinking of the the whole nation as it had been under Moses, Joshua, David and Solomon. We might call it 'ideal Israel'.

120 years after God had banished the northern Kingdom of Israel the southern Kingdom of Judah also went into captivity; Israel to Assyria and Judah to Babylonia. Both the northern kingdom and the southern kingdom had been emptied of its 'rightful tenants' (God's covenant people). Some 70 years later a tiny remnant returned from Babylon to Judeae. I estimate that at the time of David's ill-fated census the total population of the united nation was upwards of 6 million. The numbers that returned during the times of Ezra and Nehemiah were less that 50,000. (Can someone do the math for me? What percentage returned? It is less than 1%) To give some sense of what this means consider an American megachurch of 5000 people. Imagine them being taken into captivity and 40 people returning 70 years later, and perhaps less than 10 were the original deportees.

In effect this was a brand new beginning. This tiny remnant is really the remnant of a remnant.; Judah was what remained when Israel was taken captive. That remnant, Judah, went into Babylonian captivity and from that 'remnant' a tiny 'remnant' returned to re-seed the land. The astonishing thing to note is that this remnant now become the sole inheritors of the promises which God made at Sinai. There is a significant phrase in Ezra which describes this tiny remnant of Judah as 'all Israel'. The have become the carriers of the promise and destiny of 'Israel'. “The whole congregation together was forty and two thousand three hundred and threescore, Beside their servants and their maids, of whom there were seven thousand three hundred thirty and seven: and there were among them two hundred singing men and singing women. Their horses were seven hundred thirty and six; their mules, two hundred forty and five; Their camels, four hundred thirty and five; their asses, six thousand seven hundred and twenty. And some of the chief of the fathers, when they came to the house of the Lord which is at Jerusalem, offered freely for the house of God to set it up in his place: They gave after their ability unto the treasure of the work threescore and one thousand drams of gold, and five thousand pound of silver, and one hundred priests’ garments. So the priests, and the Levites, and some of the people, and the singers, and the porters, and the Nethinims, dwelt in their cities, and [u]all Israel in their cities[/u].”
(Ezra 2:64-70 KJVS)This tiny remnant of 'Judah' had become 'Israel'.

I am not sure that the Old Testament ever refers to the 'land' as 'Israel'. Israel is the people and the 'land of Israel' is the land which is possessed by Israel. It is not a land called 'Israel' but the earthly possession of the people called Israel. I am open to correction on this, but even if examples could be found to show otherwise I am convinced that the people rather than the land is the carrier of the name 'Israel'. It was not until [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1947_UN_Partition_Plan]November 29th, 1947[/url] that we have a piece of real estate called 'Israel'.

Perhaps I'll wait a little for any feedback before pursuing the other definitions. We still need to see how this people got its name and what it signifies.

2006/8/18 11:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy