SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Elijah in a cave

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Clutch

Oak Ridge, Tennessee

Re:

Lars,
Great point when you said:
"Are we able, even willing to acknowledge the difference between the holy and profane"?
I would only add; we desperately need "disernment" prior to the act of acknowledgement, which precedes the act of repentance (turning from the profane to the Holy).
Clutch ;-)

2004/1/19 7:06Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

It is perhaps profitable to define discernment as conscience stirred and awakened.
We desperately need such an awakening, which will come by means of prayer, a church displaying practical holiness and by solid, biblical preaching all this generated by the presence of the Holy Spirit – underlining Holy.
Lars

2004/1/19 7:31Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Amen.

[u][size=small]Holy[/size][/u]

2004/1/19 8:00Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

Any revival or awakening in God’s people must be accompanied by an appreciation for the holiness of God. It is debatable whether the Church today has ever known the holiness I am referring to, but certainly we have a great repository in scripture in the books of Exodus, Deuteronomy, Leviticus and Numbers. I look for a Last Days’ people, a remnant people of God, who have that same press upon their spirits as the plate that pressed against the forehead of Aaron, ‘Holiness to the Lord;’ a people who are conscious always of what they say and what they do as being before a holy Judge. Such a jealous regard for the holiness of God has been lost to us. Do we really know what the holiness of God means? This revelation is a provision from God, and if it is deeply inscribed upon our hearts, it will be a safeguard against the cheap and flimsy age in which we live.
Art Katz

2004/1/19 8:07Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

We need to be reminded that the Holy Spirit means the Spirit of holiness, and before we think that we can obtain the advantage of the Spirit of God as being the Spirit of power or any other benefit that accrues to us through the Spirit, we need to be aware that in its first ministration, the Spirit of God is the Spirit of truth, the Spirit of righteousness and holiness, and then, when received on that basis, He will become to us as power and the other forms that are needful in this life.
Art Katz

2004/1/19 8:58Profile

Re: Elijah in a cave

Back to the original message from FireinmyBones1.

Thank you, Jeff for boldness in sharing this message. I completely agree with you.

The Lord called me into full time ministry at the Brownsville Revival. I went for the first time in the summmer of 1996, one year after the revival broke out. The Lord touched me in a powerful way by His Spirit and called me into ministry at the first service that I ever went to there. I shook (literally) under the power of God for 8 hours.

Now this was something that I had never been exposed to before so I guess I was a sceptic but after the Spirit of God touched me I learned my lesson. That is the point that I want to make:

WHO ARE WE TO TELL GOD WHAT HE IS ALLOWED TO DO? JUST B/C WE HAVE NEVER SEEN SOMETHING BEFORE DOESN'T MEAN IT IS NOT "AUTHENTIC". HAVE WE SEEN THE WIND? NO, BUT WE STILL BELIEVE IN IT. HAVE WE SEEN GOD? NO, BUT WE KNOW THAT HE IS REAL.

In the same way we shouldn't judge something as false just because we have never seen it before.

Just a thought to ponder. Blessings to you all!

2004/1/26 11:02
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The Lord called me into full time ministry at the Brownsville Revival. I went for the first time in the summmer of 1996, one year after the revival broke out. The Lord touched me in a powerful way by His Spirit and called me into ministry at the first service that I ever went to there. I shook (literally) under the power of God for 8 hours.

Brother, thats great. But I would ask why were you shaking under the power of God. Was it of deep conviction and revealing of your sin in your life? If you listen to the message "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" by paris reidhead you will hear him tell of in meetings by whitfield, wesley, etc.. where people were so convicted of sin in the light of the HOLINESS of God that they would literally shake or fall down.. uncouncious in many cases. this would happen to hundreds at a time,.. not because someone waved there hand and sent an annointing out.. but because God was revealed to people's hearts in such a powerful and tangible way.

I am not making light of your experience and I am sure the Lord did call you into ministry.. but one reason why I am not in total agreeance with brownsville and other so called 'revival' movements is that there is a falseness in these manifestations that happened in such powerful ways in true God-sent revivals in the past. Now to say that God is not in brownsville is NOT correct also.. I do believe that God is working there absolutely. But as I said in my other post is this even near to God's best or what is possible in God.. The flesh is a scary thing. It can see something that is born of God.. a promise etc.. and go impatiently to fulfill it. Yes I am saying that brownsville is a in some sorts a 'child born of hagar' not of 'sarah'.

By saying this I am not persecuting you brothers or saying you are in total delusion, we are together.. we are the body of Christ. I encourage you to read my post (2nd on in this thread). I show some distinguishing marks of revival. I HATE the division that is being caused in the body of Christ, alot from prophecies, etc.. that say that if anyone questions anything that happens in these movements they will even die (thats an extreme example) but it shows that we need to get real! I desire revival just as much as you guys.

I know God is doing things right now.. but God's biggest working in our days is inward and its a calling of his true body to travail and seek His face, a remenant of the body that is being called to be purified so that God can send down a revival to His church that will shake the gates of hell and change society as we know it.

Lord do it through your willing servants.. break us.. break up the fallow ground.. plant the seeds of revival.

2004/1/26 11:22Profile
laholmes

Re:

Elijah did end up in a cave. And as the days grow darker, so will the community of those following foolishly after the cross grow smaller. Elijah encounterd God in the temple alone. It was not a "annointing" nor a message that shook the foundations of the temple. Instead it was merely the voice of him that called.

HOLY HOLY HOLY IS THE LORD OF HOSTS THE WHOLE EARTH IS FULL OF HIS GLORY

The Holiness of the Lord alone can save us. As the Jeremiah cried
[i]Who would not fear You, O King of the nations? Indeed it is Your due! For among all the wise men of the nations And in all their kingdoms, There is none like You[/i]

As the days grow on, the world will grow darker, but Lord make my fire burn brighter for you

2004/1/26 18:18Profile

Re:

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you that we should remain in unity as part of the body of Christ. We all have more in common than we realize b/c we have been ransomed by Christ and called to serve Him. We should focus on this more than anything else. As we open our hearts to His will He will lead us in the direction that He would have us go.

Blessings

2004/1/27 4:32
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

I was reading this today from A.W. Tozer's [i]The Pursuit of Man[/i] and thought it may be useful in this thread. I have no direct personal experience with Brownsville so I can't speak much concerning the movement there but perhaps those who have can use this excerpt to help prayerfully test the spirit of what they have seen and heard, at Brownsville, or at any so-called move of God.

"For myself, I fear any kind of religious stir among Christians that does not lead to repentance and result in a sharp separation of the believer from the world. I am suspicious of any organized revival effort that is forced to play down the hard terms of the kingdom. No matter how attractive the movement may appear, if it is not founded in righteousness and nurtured in humility it is not of God. If it exploits the flesh it is a religious fraud and should not have the support of any God-fearing Christian. Only that is of God which honors the Spirit and prospers at the expense of human ego. "That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord" (1 Corinthians 1:31)"

In Christ,

Ron

2004/1/27 14:36Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy