SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Please pray for Mel Gibson

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread

Please pray for Mel Gibson

This man, this actor has been sober for a long time now and obviously fell, please pray for him, at least you can see the Lord in his life the way he publicly repented:

Mel Gibson Apologizes for DUI Arrest
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 6:15 p.m. ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Mel Gibson issued a lengthy statement Saturday apologizing for his drunk driving arrest and saying he has battled alcoholism throughout his life.

The actor and ''The Passion of the Christ'' director also apologized for what he said were ''despicable'' statements he made to the deputies who arrested him early Friday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

''I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested,'' he said in a statement issued by his publicist. ''I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse.''

He said he was taking ''necessary steps to ensure my return to health.''

Publicist Alan Nierob declined to elaborate beyond Gibson's statement, and sheriff's Sgt. Rich Erickson declined to respond, saying the case was still under investigation.

Gibson, 50, was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol after deputies stopped his 2006 Lexus LS 430 for speeding at 2:36 a.m. Friday. Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said deputies clocked him doing 87 mph in a 45 mph zone.

A breath test indicated Gibson's blood-alcohol level was 0.12 percent, Whitmore said. The legal limit in California is 0.08 percent.

The actor-director posted $5,000 bail and was released less than two hours later.

Gibson also apologized Saturday for what he called ''my belligerent behavior'' when he was taken into custody.

''The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person,'' he said.

''I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable.''

Nierob and sheriff's officials declined to discuss what Gibson said.

Gibson won a best-director Oscar for 1995's ''Braveheart'' and had a 2004 religious blockbuster with ''The Passion of the Christ.'' He also starred in the ''Lethal Weapon'' and ''Mad Max'' films, ''What Women Want'' and ''The Man Without a Face,'' among other movies.

2006/7/29 18:39

Re: Please pray for Mel Gibson

Quote:
Please pray for Mel Gibson

OK. Sounds like he's serious about straightening up again. Praise God.

2006/7/31 7:40
W_D_J_D

Re:

did you hear about what he said about the jews?

man i still cant believe that people think he is a christian.

NO ONE who hates the jews is a christian.......NO, NOT EVEN MARTIN LUTHER!!!!!

2006/7/31 8:23Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Yes, I have heard what he said about the Jews. He isn't a Christian. Most people think because he did a token movie about Jesus he gets the green light from God. Wrong. Martin Luther did make some anti-Semitic statements. They seem to be unknown by many in Christian circles, or ignored. Hatred of the Jews or anyone else is un-Christian. The Jews are God's people, they always will be. God bless.

2006/7/31 8:47Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

What was it that he said about Jews?

And what did Martin Luther say? Is there credible evidence?

2006/7/31 12:10Profile
brentw

Ohio

AW Tozer said: "Hollywood has faces like angels but morals like ally cats"

2006/7/31 13:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
And what did Martin Luther say? Is there credible evidence?

I dont know what Gibson said, but Martin Luthers anti-semitism is well documented in his own writings. His opinions infected Germany for generations, and culminated with the Nazis. (I'm not saying Luther was a Nazi... but the seeds of his hatred for Jews levened the whole lump)

As for Gibson's salvation, we can not judge the heart. However we can judge his own words, and his faith is NOT in the Jesus of the Bible. His faith is in the ordinances of the Catholic Church, and in Mary.

Also, if Mel knew his Bible he would cease calling his problem "the disease of alcoholism" and call it what God calls it: the sin of drunkeness. Not until people call sin sin can they really expect help from God. Mel doesnt need to "return to health" as he calls it... he needs to get right with God.

... as we all do from time to time.

Krispy

2006/7/31 14:16

Brethren - brentw in particular - how do these comments answer bartle's request for prayer for this man?

Further, how do they honour the name of Christ whom we seek to serve?

I hope both my questions strike you as rhetorical, as they are intended to be. I responded to [i]agree[/i] to pray. Frankly, I'm embarrassed to be writing this. All of us once were prayed for by faithful people who knew we were off the rails at the time. If you don't want to pray, that's fine, but this thread doesn't need to lose focus in the process of generalised negativity. I hope no-one is any more offended by my express concern here, than by the comments which drew it out.

EDIT: Krispy, I think we posted at the same time.

2006/7/31 14:23
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

I wasn't aware that Luther was anti-semitic. Very sad.

Quote:
cease calling his problem "the disease of alcoholism" and call it what God calls it: the sin of drunkeness

Amen.

And Dorcas, you're right too. We are a little off-topic, and judgmental.

2006/7/31 14:24Profile
markm

Re:

Why not pray for him concerning his attitude toward the Jews?

My recollection (from the time of the movie) was that his father was an anti-semite, and the media was trying to trap him into either agreeing with it or denouncing it. At the time, he refused to do either. He said he didn't agree with what his father believed, but he wouldn't dishonor his father either.

Did God stick with you even though you were still hanging on to baggage from your childhood? Did He in His good time reveal truth to you? When Israel was wayward did he repeal his name from them? Or was Israel still "His people?" Should we repeal the name 'christian' from someone just because their heart was in the wrong place, and their words got written down?

I'm glad I'm not famous and having my faith judged by words that I can't take back because they have been written down.

Obviously, Mr. Gibson is struggling with his faith right now. He turned to alcohol instead of to God, and he is reaping the consequences. But do you want the judgment of God to fall on him for his mistakes? Or do you want the grace of God to work toward change in his life?

I don't know Mel, I don't know his faith all that well, but obviously he is a man who wants to know Christ, shouldn't we be praying that God would have mercy and meet that desire?

----
Edit: posted at the same time as several of you. Funny how a post can become redundent while you are typing it. Well said dorcas.

2006/7/31 14:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy