Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Reprove me, please

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Reprove me, please

This was my response to someone's post on a secular website in regards to his 'christian' beliefs....

I won't comment on your beliefs, but will state my own.

I don’t really like the term ‘christian’ because too many people generally claim the title, but have no fruit to show it. They think they say a little prayer and can go on with their lives the same way they always were.

This is what following Christ means to me.

First of all, Christ is not a dead man who lived 2000 years ago. He is alive and well today. His Spirit lives in me! He speaks to me, I speak to Him. We have a relationship.
He is my whole purpose for being. I live to Glorify Him. I am obedient to His will; I put my own will aside. I spend time with Him, seeking His Face, learning to know Him more. He is my Savior, but more importantly, He is My LORD. He is the first Person I think of when I wake in the morning and the last thing I do at night is speak to Him. During the day, I live in a way that would please Him, if I do something wrong, I stop at that very moment and repent of it. I ask for mercy on my imperfection and grace to grow more and more like Jesus.

I am so imperfect, I have too much pride. I am not where I want to be. The perfection I ache for will not be found here on this earth. I just love Him….but my love is not the love that he requires. But I am learning. I am learning. If the Bible says it, I believe it. Nothing will change my mind.

In my interactions with people here I stand by my convictions and that makes me unpopular. That is okay. I don’t dislike any of you. I pray for all of you. I like being part of this community. But who I am is all because of what I believe about following Christ.

I really need feedback. was I too harsh?

2006/7/28 15:02Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Please reprove me....how far off am I?

Acts 11v26 tells us the disciples were first called Christians at Antioch. They did not name themselves, others gave them the name. It had to be that their lifestyle and manner so imitated Christ that they were called after Him.
There is nothing wrong with yearning for God. The psalmist did. Over and over in the Psalms we see their hearts yearning after God.
We see the apostles in the book of Acts giving themselves continually to prayer and the word of God.
As it is, as we go through the scriptures and are convicted by what we see, repent. It tells us in 1 John that if we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleans us from all unrighteousness.
Never mind being hard, just think of the judgment seat of Christ. You will be glad then that you were being hard, as you call it. God bless.

2006/7/28 15:41Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Thanks, Enid

I was told that I was judging other Christians as unfaithful and shallow, and if I had no sin, I should cast the first stone. this was at a secular website. my response was that I was not judging brothers and sisters in Christ, only people who were claiming to be, but aren't. I was also told I am arrogant, because I think that what I believe is right and won't change my mind no matter what.

I don't care about any of that. I just don't want to be profanig God's name in front of heathens.

2006/7/28 15:45Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re: Thanks, Enid

If you were too harsh in speaking of those who claim to be Christian, but don't live like it, then our Lord was too harsh.

Matthew 7:22 "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

2006/7/28 16:44Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Thanks JoeA

I don't feel that I was too harsh. of course the people I am dealing with are mostly atheists, so anything they think they can catch me on, they point out. again, it isn't my reputation that matters, I only want to make sure that I am not misrepresenting our Lord.

2006/7/28 16:52Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re: Am I wrong?

No, you were not too harsh!

Matthew 10:32 (NAS)
"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father who is in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father who is in heaven."

You must realize that people of the world cannot accept what you said. Because of this, the world will judge you harshly for making such claims. They may persecute you and try to beat you down just as they did Jesus.

Indeed, we are sinners and obviously we are wrong about many things. Because of this, we place all our faith in Christ. Jesus then gives us faith with confidence. This confidence appears to the world as pride, but it is not. Do not be confused. They will accuse you of pride when you stand by Christ.

In discussions like the one you were in, I openly admit I am wrong. I am a terrible person who needs a Savior. I tell them plainly, "I am wrong, but Jesus is right." I am not promoting myself or "my" religion or "my" ideas. I am promoting Christ, "His" religion and "His" ideas. I am standing firm on the rock that is Christ. My conviction and faith comes from Heaven, like a ray of sunlight admist the darkness. And because of this, everything depends on Him, not on you or me.

The world cannot fathom or understand such a thing. They will always think selfishly, that you are pushing "your" beliefs. In their mind, they think you have created up your beliefs, just as they have. They cannot even begin to imagine having faith in something that is real and true, a God who lives and answers prayers. And so, no matter what you say, they will not believe you. Not to mention, they will criticize you harshly for it.

However, do not ever be embarrassed or ever feel guilty for standing by Christ. The world will tell you it's wrong, and the Devil will quietly accuse you of pride. To admit openly that Christ is your Savior is the greatest act of humility you can commit. What pride is there in saying you need a Savior? What can be more humbling?

So, expel those feelings you have. Stand firm by what you said in all situations. Live it.

May Christ bless you indeed,
Your brother,
Blake

2006/7/28 18:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Am I wrong?

Melissa,
I love your testimony! Your goal for life is Biblical, the way a heart for God should function which will by its very nature incur the wrath of people alienated from God. Of course, they will say you are being judgemental. BUT wait: did they say you are judgemental? Who is judging you????? Are they not doing exactly what they are accusing you? Melissa, if you listen to them carefully, you will notice the discrepicies in their philosophies. But never mind....just do not do like Peter did when Jesus invited him to come join him on the water. He got out of the boat, started walking and when he noticed the waves, he started sinking. Jesus is still asking his children to join him on the water and too many times we fail to keep our eyes on Him and we sink.

I do have one word of caution for you when talking to atheists: be careful you do not "cast any pearls before them" lest they trample them...You can, however, meet them on their own turf and discuss issues intellectually, but I suggest you refrain from debating. Arguing gets you nowhere. (Romans 1: 29 (KJV) lists debate as sin.) Understand what I mean? It means you use their logic to demonstrate the absoluteness of God. Ravi Zacharias utilizes this method in confronting New Agers, etc. You can listen to him at www.rzim.org.

Hope this helps...any questions? comments? disagree?

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2006/7/28 18:32Profile
raja_coc

Re:

hello brother

2006/7/29 14:54Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re:

Not too harsh at all. Sounds like you were just telling the truth. I commend you and stand with you.

Just curious. Have you ever told them why they need to be saved? It sounds like you have a great opportunity to.

2006/7/29 19:23Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Hey Ginnyrose,

Quote:
Arguing gets you nowhere. (Romans 1:29 (KJV) lists debate as sin.)

I think this scripture needs to be clarified unless all of SermonIndex be accused of sin, and the apostles too. In Acts 15:7, the apostles had been in a debate over the circumcision of gentiles. And in Acts 19:19 debated with others daily in the school. Were they sinning?

At first reading of Romans 1:29, we all might be inclined to think "debate" is a sin as it says, "Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers," However, we must also look at the original greek word used here for "debate" and compare this to other translations.

According to Thayer's and Smith's Bible Dictionary, the original greek word used here is "Eris" which means "contention, strife, wrangling." The NKJ, NASB, and NIV uses the word "strife" instead of "debate."

In Romans 1:29, Paul wasn't talking about debating as Paul himself debated with a great many people. He was speaking specifically of that which involves fighting or quarreling with someone as in competition.

Our debates should be instructive and done as an act of love. You are right to say we should not argue, if our arguing is done with the wrong intent. There comes a point when a debate becomes a fight to see who will win. As Christians, we don't seek to conquer others, we seek to help them.

Indeed, I agree with you that we should not throw pearls to swine. If a person openly rejects the message of Christ, then we don't really have anything more to say.

This too is a good warning, as the person we debate may seek to conquer us and lead us astray from Christ.

In love,
Blake

2006/7/29 22:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy