SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Greatest Christian Book Ever Written? (besides The Bible)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sevenplaces4all

Orange County, CA

Greatest Christian Book Ever Written? (besides The Bible)

I'm just curious to know what you all consider to be the greatest Christian book ever written (besides The Bible of course). I am a fairly new Christian and I want to know what is really worth reading out there. All comments are greatly appreciated.

2004/1/15 11:46Profile
Meg

Augusta Ga USA

Re: Greatest Christian Book Ever Written? (besides The Bible)

Well Sevenplaces, greatest is really gonna be a matter of opinion. I'm recovering from a 23 year fall, and first book (after The Bible of course) The Lord led me to was "Can You Stand To Be Blessed" by TD Jakes. Jakes tell-it-like-it-is style was a real lifesaver during those early months, so that's one I will always keep around and recommend. He's written several other books, but Stand really shines.

I hope you stand strong in the Faith! If you have any questions, especially tough ones :-) , feel free to post something here and there's probably someone in this group who can relate.

Grace be with you, Meg

2004/1/15 14:27Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Mike, I'm sure there is no "one" book- like Meg said, it will be a matter of opinion.

I have to say that for the last three years my favorite and most helpful thing to read was my copy of "My Utmost For His Highest" by Oswald Chambers.

I'm sure that IF you've been reading my emails, that you probably already know this, though. :)

Other than the Holy Spirit- it has been my conscience. It has prompted me and pressed me and encouraged me. It challenges you to never stay where you are in your faith.

Two thumbs up for "My Utmost".

In Him, Chanin

2004/1/15 14:34Profile
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Greatest Christian Book Ever Written? (besides The Bible)

Power Through Prayer by E.M. Bounds

(Although it's not aimed at new Christians).

2004/1/15 16:27Profile
jouko

Ex-England colony of Australia

Re:

Try The Christian In Complete Armour by William Gurnall. It's one of many good books.

ISBN 0-85151-456-1 The Banner of Truth Trust

2004/1/15 18:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Power Through Prayer by E.M. Bounds

For Leonard Ravenhill this was a live changing book! he read it on his knees and he didn't go through the book the book went through him.

This is quite a hard question and I am not sure if I can answer it. I would like to suggest that biographies of old men of God show Christ the most brightly but for me I would have to say that the book: "Sit, walk, stand" by watchman nee or "The Normal Chrstian Life" probably has had one of the lasting impressions on me simply because as a young Christian I read them over and over again!

2004/1/15 18:29Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

[u]A.W.Tozer[/u]
"The Knowledge of The Holy"
and "The Pursuit of God"

2004/1/15 18:32Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
"The Pursuit of God"

I was very close in choosing that one also! :-D

2004/1/15 18:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Here's a link to a copy you can read online if you are interested

[url=http://calvarychapel.com/library/Tozer-AW/PursuitOfGod/0.htm]The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer[/url]

2004/1/15 18:48Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Re: Greatest Christian Book...."

Greg wrote:
"The Normal Christian Life" probably has had one of the lasting impressions on me simply because as a young Christian I read ... over and over again!"

If I could only bring one book to that proverbial desert island, (besides the Bible and Strong's Concordance), it would probably be Nee's "The Normal Christian Life". (I'm still reading it over and over, probably because it didn't get through my thick skull until the fourth try around.)

A very close second would be Andrew Murray's 31-day devotional, "Abide in Christ".

Nee's "Love Not the World" ("world" - a beautiful, harmoniously integrated Satanic system) was a powerful eye-opener.

2004/1/15 19:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy