SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Need some Godly Advice

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Need some Godly Advice

Here is the problem. Whenever something occurs with one of my children, I get angry. I had an incident with my daycare yesterday concerning my son. I have dealt with it, prayed about it, but it just stays on my mind. I try to just let it go, and I'm not one to hold grudges, but it just bothers me.

So how do you all handle things like this? How can I stop these feelings?

Thanks in advance. :-D

2006/7/20 9:37Profile
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: Need some Godly Advice

1 John 1:9 works for me :-)

2006/7/20 9:40Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Need some Godly Advice

Hi Melissa,

I have likewise been there many times. My kids are older teenagers now mostly. Kids have a way of taking hold of us and causing us to react out of character at times. Often teachers, etc. may not 'like' one of your kids and it is evident when you talk to them. You must not allow this to get ahold of you or the enemy will push that button every chance he gets.

Be realistic also and know that our kids are not always 'angels' either. Our kids do things to other kids, either on accident or intentionally. Keep this before your eyes and when things 'happen' you are better postured to handle it.

Mercy is always the best policy. We need to forgive because we were forgiven. This is easier said than done, but a revelation of what Christ has done for us will keep it in prespective.

Sometimes terrible things happen. Unspeakable things. I know families who suffered terribly. We all do, I suppose. One lost a daughter to a drunk driver, etc. etc. These are things that test the very limits of the love of God in our hearts. For those who see this happen to others and do not suffer them- themselves, it helps bring prespective. It helps us be thankful for our families.

Knowing we are none perfect and that we all sin is a key here. We were fogiven 10,000 talents (as it were). A revelation of that will cultivate a heart of mercy and forgiveness. The Holy Spirit will give you the grace to forget and go on. The ability to 'choose' not to remember the offense.

2006/7/20 10:00Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Thanks Robert,

I know my son can be a stinker, but in this case, it was something that happened which could have been prevented and the teachers were completely at fault. I guess that is why it bothers me so much. because it was preventable. I know the teachers, I like the teachers, my son gets along well with them so that isn't the problem.

Again, it isn't that I don't forgive, it's just these emotions that I am trying to ignore. I don't talk about it, I'm just trying to forget it ever happened.

But. You know what I mean?

2006/7/20 10:42Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Thanks Aaron! I appreciate the Scripture. that is always the best medicine... :-P

2006/7/20 10:43Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
But. You know what I mean?

Yes. I have had my teenaged boys hurt at school by other students while the teachers seemed not to react. One had his teeth almost knocked out when a boy smashed his face down into the drinking fountain as he got a drink, for no reason. It is times like those when you need GREAT grace. This is grace to help in time of need. Some things you just have to give to God. He will give you direction as your seek Him. :-)

2006/7/20 15:30Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

I think most parents have the same attitude when it comes to protecting their kids, it's not wrong, but we must learn to control it and not let it turn into unrighteousness or lose our witness through it. Pray for patience and humility, (though God often allows us to be put in these stressful situations just so we can learn these things and truly trust in Him).

Just this week my six year old was taunted by her classmates because her new teacher wanted them all to hold up their first and last fingers in the 'devils salute' as a way of getting them all to be quiet. My daughter knew there was something wrong with the gesture and wouldn't comply, the other kids spent the rest of the day holding up their hands in this way to ridicule her, remember they're 6 and 7!

I have seen the head about this and I hope it's sorted, but I used the oppertunity to explain to my daughters, that as Christians we must stand up for what we know what is true and right, even if we suffer for it.

Sadly, I believe that God is preparing our kids to learn to deal with a lot of stuff we didn't have to deal with, as all the examples above show. They will become stronger Christians because of it.

Ray Comfort's 'How to bring your children to Christ' is very good, but sadly no longer available on this site.

We are living in dark times but we must be lights to the world.

Praise God, He's coming soon!

Ste

2006/7/20 16:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy