SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Verse 6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled." Many teach about the righteousness that is imputed or declared by God for those who call on the name of the Lord. Not many know of the righteousness that comes from following Jesus day by day. In the previous verses we have seen a change come upon those who follow Jesus. Once we were proud in spirit, now poor. Once we were oblivious to sin, now mournful of its consequences in our life. Once we demanded our rights, now we are bondservants. Through the refining work of Jesus by the Holy Spirit we are introduced to our Savior. The more we experience His life, the more we will hunger and thirst for more of Him. O the bliss of being filled with His life!

The previous attributes grown into a disciple of Christ speak of the inward work of the Holy Spirit in ones life. These attributes speak of how we have learned to love God with our whole heart, with our whole soul and with all of our strength. The ways and hopes that once filled our life have now diminished and everything that is of Him has increased. In the verses to follow we will learn that our love of God will enable us then to love others as He has enabled us to love Him.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/22 13:20Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Verse 7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy." I have failed many times in trying to minister to others as Christ has ministered to me. I easily forget the path my Savior has led me along. The thoughts I write of today have taken my Lord four years of patiently teaching me. I have stumbled and sinned against my Savior. Yet He has been merciful with me. He is faithful. I easily forget how I learned. And yet I do not faithfully and patiently teach others in the same way that I have learned from Him. I become critical of others, thinking to myself, why don't they understand? Again my Lord convicts me of my sin. I am beginning to understand how mercy affects how I love others. Or more to the point, how the lack of mercy hinders me from learning to love others as He has loved me. I can only imagine the bliss of ministering to others as He has ministered to me. Lord, have mercy on me a sinner. Lead me along the Highway of Holiness.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/23 8:05Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Verse 8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." Paul wrote of Timothy, "For I have no one like-minded, who will [b]sincerely[/b] care for your state. For all seek their own, not the things which are of Christ Jesus. But you know his proven character..." Philippians 2:20-22 In another place Paul wrote of Timothy, "...I remember you in my prayers night and day, greatly desiring to see you, being mindful of your tears, that I may be filled with joy, when I call to remembrance the [b]genuine[/b] (unhypocritical) faith that is in you..." 2 Timothy 1:3-5 Paul testifies of Timothy's pure heart. A heart that does not seek its own glory, but will sacrifice all for the things of Christ. The faith of Timothy relies not on the powers of the flesh but looks to the power that is in Christ. Having anything less than a pure heart for the things of Christ, will only diminish our ability to love one another. "And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread for house to house, they ate their food with gladness and [b]simplicity[/b] of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved." Acts 2:46-47 I can't imagine the bliss of seeing God work all around you as the church of Acts did. The promise of Jesus for His disciples remains. Enter His rest.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/23 12:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

The gospel, what is it; but God's heart in print.
-William Gurnall

2004/1/24 10:56Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Thankyou Gregg...

Verse 9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." Paul exhorts us, "to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace." To love others as Jesus loves us, requires that we also endeavor to grow together as brothers and sisters in the unity of Christ. Only then, will we understand how Jesus creates the bond of peace within His church. As we travel along the Highway of Holiness, we will experience the unity that comes not by the flesh but by following the Spirit. My heart rejoices when I meet another pilgrim on the path. I see Jesus in them. This last Thursday I met a stranger who is my brother. The joy of the unity I experienced with my brother filled me with bliss! Thinking back to our meeting my heart sings, "For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness." Psalm 84:10

As we learn the joy of peacemaking within His church, Jesus will call us to be peacemakers in the world. "How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: "How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the [b]gospel of peace[/b]'[b]who bring glad tidings of good things![/b]" Romans 10:14-15 The sons of God will have good things to talk about! Amen!

2004/1/26 7:23Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Re: The Gospel

Quote:
"This last Thursday I met a stranger who is my brother. The joy of the unity I experienced with my brother filled me with bliss!"

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the Lord commanded the blessing, even life for evermore (Psalm 133:1-3).

But speaking the truth in love, (we) may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love (Ephes. 4:15,16 ).

I noticed earlier today that here Paul says something that goes beyond “edifying one another”. (He says that elsewhere.) Here he refers to the “edifying of itself” in love.

Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name (Malachi 3:16).

2004/1/26 8:35Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Thankyou Roger, Psalm 133:1-3 was uplifting.

Verses 10-11 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake. Rejoice and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." A nation under God killed His prophets, a religion representing God said, "You know nothing at all, nor do you consider that it is expedient for us that one man should die for the people, and not that the whole nation should perish." John 11:49-50 God cursed Satan in the Garden of Eden. He declared that there would be hatred between the sons of God and the sons of Satan. James writes to the believers, "...Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God. Or do you think that the Scriptures says in vain, "The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously?" James 4:4-5
The Holy Spirit will teach us what is pleasing to our Lord and Savior. His life is us will cause the world to hate us as it hated Him.

"We know that we are of God, and the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one." 1 John 5:19 Do we accept this truth of the world in which we live? What does it mean to be a stranger, a pilgrim on earth in search of the heavenly country? I hear many pray, thanking God for a country where persecution is minimal. Remember, Israel killed Jesus and the prophets for the sake of self-government. Could it be that Satan like the religion he sees in the West? I know he doesn't like the Believer's Church in India! "For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and
[b]is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.[/b]." Hebrews 4:12 Just imagine if the peacemakers would sow and water one heart at a time. Then pray for God to give the increase. The reward in heaven would be great.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/26 10:24Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Jesus said that He came to fulfill the law and the prophets. He came to preach the good news of the kingdom. He promised all, who would believe, that they would have life and that life would be more abundant. As we have seen in the beatitudes, Jesus came to enable us to fulfill the two greatest commandments of God. Verses 3-6 gives us an itinerary of the experience of learning how to love God with our whole heart, with our whole soul, and with all of our strenght. Verses 7-12 teaches us how we who walk along the Highway of Holiness, will learn to love one another as Jesus has loved us. Will we become a Believer's Church? Every day is the day of salvation. Every day He will show us the bliss of following Him. This is the good news of the kingdom. Is the substance of our hope in Jesus? Do we believe in His promises? Faith is the evidence of things not seen. This is the gospel that Jesus taught His disciples to go out and proclaim!

So where in the OT does the gospel proclaim the good news?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/27 5:59Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

In the thoughts that I have shared pretaining to the beatitudes, I have covered, you might say, the outcome for a believer who has followed Christ. In a sense, this is the relationship realized by a disciple of Christ. How does God work this work? "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. [b]Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me[/b]..." Matthew 11:28-29

The Word teaches us. We must give up choosing to yoke ourselves with the world. As we read the Scriptures we must choose this day as the day of salvation. The Holy Spirit will speak to our hearts and give us a choice to obey or to remain yoked to the world. The Word promises: "for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls, for My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Matthew 11:29-30. As Jesus taught in the beatitudes, He promises us here that He is gentle and lowly in heart. Those who follow will take on His nature, His life. This is the good news of the kingdom.

Look to Psalm 119, the Word teaches about the precepts, judgements, ordinances, statutes, and commandments that describe, one might say, the components of the relationship we have with Jesus.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/28 7:01Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

The power of the New Covenant is declared in Jeremiah 31:33-34. "But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord; I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. [b]No more shall every man teach his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, "Know the Lord," for they all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them..."[/b] The power is centered in the fact that God promises to teach those who are His people. We know that Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would come and guide us. "However, when He, the Spirit of truth, has come, He will [b]guide[/b] you into all truth..." John 16:13

The writer of Psalm 119 writes, " I have more understanding than all my teachers, for Your testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts. I have restrained my feet from every evil way, that I may keep Your word. I have not departed from Your judgments, [b]For You Yourself have taught me.[/b] How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" verses 99-103

Jesus says, "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who love Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and [b]manifest Myself to him."[/b] John 14:21

Those who learn the ways that the writer of Psalm 119 speaks of will know Jesus for He will manifest Himself to us who obey.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/1/29 7:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy