SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Closed door: Kicked out for open-air

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Closed door: Kicked out for open-air

I just thought I'd give out a praise report. Tonight I was kicked out of an out-door shopping center I have frequently preached at for the past couple summers. This time the head of security took my name and asked me to leave Birkdale Village (the name of outdoor shopping center). However, I managed to preach roughly an hour before such happened, and not without speaking much about the gospel.

I managed to preach to a wide variety of people, everything from Muslims, Jews, unbelievers, nominal Christians, back-slidden Christians, Christians, white, black, male, female, young, old, etc. Some people were glad to see me preaching, others were not. I suppose the others who were not were the ones who managed to probably get me kicked out of the shopping center. However, when I was kicked out a great number of people were unhappy to see me removed and complained a bit to security. Many of the same people shook my hand on the way out.

One young man in particular thanked me, saying he had strayed from following Christ, and has now decided to follow Him again.

Do be in prayer for me still though, I am really hoping to find a spot to preach at open-air where I don't have to worry about being shut down. The area I live doesn't have many such places.

2006/7/7 21:52Profile
repentcanada

Re: Closed door: Kicked out for open-air

bless the LORD brother Jimmy!

2006/7/7 23:25Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Closed door: Kicked out for open-air

Hey Jimmy,

Keep preaching the Word, man. Were you preaching at an outdoor outlet mall? The first time I open-aired, my friend and I decided to go to an outlet mall and get up on a fountain. I was able to speak for maybe 10 minutes before security came and shut me down. The guard who shut me down told me he was a Christian...but we were preaching on private property and breaking the law.

Thanks for this report! God bless!

Paul

2006/7/8 10:47Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Birkdale Village is an outdoor shopping center. It has a couple streets running through it, with shops along the street. The shops include everything from Old Navy to Victoria Secret to Barnes & Noble to Starbucks, as well as mom and pop shops. On top of the shops are luxury condo's. The center of this village has a long median which has park benches, sidewalks, a large gathering area with a water fountain that shoots out of the ground, and a bit down the street, a large wishing well (which is where I usually preach). This area is pretty much the hotspot of the greater Lake Norman area in North Carolina.

Technically speaking, it is private property, though the streets are public.

2006/7/8 11:19Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Yeah, if it's on private property, you're gonna get chased every time (at least that's been my experience here in Texas). That's why I'll usually go downtown to the county courthouse and preach there. It's all public property. You can just get up on a memorial and preach away. Lots of people at malls, and it's very tempting to preach at them, but they're usually privately owned and the owners don't take very kindly to a public proclamation of God's Word. Spoils everyone's day, bad for business.

2006/7/8 11:30Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Jimmy. Will pray that God lead you to another place if need be; maybe this is His way of doing so?

I've wonder sometimes what sort of places Whitfield and Spurgeon preached in. I had the impression they were open spaces like fields, at least sometimes? What is amazing is how far thier voices must have carried, especially if there were no buildings in front of them to reflect the sound.

I know it is possible to project your voice very far from calling cadence in the Army; it is a powerfull sound!

Grace be with you in Messiah Jesus.

2006/7/8 11:43Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Whitefield was so loud, he could be heard by 30,000 people, and for over a mile away. Benjamin Franklin was an eyewitness to this; he even measured the distance! Also, Whitefield preached till his throat bled. Now, I've served in the US Army for 10 years, and called cadence many times, and I know how powerful the human voice can be. But a mile away? To 30,000 people? I don't know what kind of ampitheaters these men used, but they sure did work!

Laying prostrate before God all night didn't hurt either!

2006/7/8 14:36Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

Paul

Quote:
Whitefield was so loud, he could be heard by 30,000 people, and for over a mile away.

I think there is a message here at SI where J. Edwin Orr mentions something like that. Also, if I'm not mistaken, it was here in Philadelphia and he could be heard across the river in New Jersey?

Interesting to note that there is a statue of Whitfield on the campus of the U of Penn. I was not allowed to go into the area but I asked a student that was passing by to go in and see what the statue was and he verified it. Pretty neat.

Quote:
Laying prostrate before God all night didn't hurt either!

good point!

As I think of it, these stories of Whitfield actually serve to support the scripture accounts of Christ preaching to the mulitudes in the open-air as well, don't they? I mean, people might find it hard to believe He could do so, but here are examples from more recent times.

Chris

2006/7/8 16:07Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I've wonder sometimes what sort of places Whitfield and Spurgeon preached in.

Much of the "field preaching" they did was simply on the private lands of various people who invited them to do such. Thus, when Wesley could not gain an audience in the church his father preached in, he proceded to address the church from his father's tombstone, which itself was private property.

Quote:

What is amazing is how far thier voices must have carried, especially if there were no buildings in front of them to reflect the sound.

I once saw a reinactment of Jesus preaching to the multitudes on TV, staged in Israel. They simply had an actor standing with his back to the sea of Galilee talking in a conversational tone, and they were some distance from him. Yet, the natural surroundings were more than sufficient to broadcast the actors voice so as to been easily heard. I can only imagine how much easier it would've been to hear the Lord had he been speaking passionately on any topic.

Frankly, speaking open air to people so as to be heard by as many as possible has very little to do with how prayed up one is, and really has everything to do with the location one picks to speak at, and of course, the strength of one's voice.

I imagine rolling hillsides, lakes, and forests which were in abundance back then, would help amplifying one's voice over a long distance, much as buildings on a college campus really aid one's voice in speaking.

2006/7/8 22:52Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy