SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Chuck Smith talks about King James?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

My wife speaks English as a second language. This makes it quite difficult for her to understand if someone uses a different translation. I'm thinking that's where Wyatt is coming from.

On the other hand, it's critical if you're doing any serious study to look at various translations, not simply one. That's been my approach for what its worth.

2006/7/6 11:58Profile
mamaluk

Re:

Quote Ormly:

Funny, I didn't get that from his message at all. He is very accurate in his remarks. In fact what He says I've been practicing for years, using abot 5-6 trans.. Perhaps re-visiting what he states would be helpful to you? All you need to do is click on the second sermon and slide the button over to about what might be the last ten minutes of his message.

This doesn't sound rude to me at all! I think Ormly's trying to help.

By the way, that's how I study my KJV Bible too, flipping through Old English, Chinese, Interlinear, NKJV, NIV.. plus a couple of 'good' commentaries, as research aids.

Hope I'm not being too rude. :)
mamaluk

2006/7/6 12:00Profile

Re:

Amen, Hab. Any serious inquirer will take that approach.

:-D

2006/7/6 12:05

Re:

Are you saying I've been rude in this thread? Boy... go away for a couple weeks and everyone gets thinned skinned on here. I dont think I've said anything rude. All I did was point out that I agreed with Chuck Smith, but was dismayed that he would preach for two hours against modern versions... and then not encourage people to leave them alone. How is that rude?

Krispy

2006/7/6 13:11

Re:

Because you seemed to have addressed your remark to meaning me. But lets not dwell on that and more on.

You said:

Quote:
"Chuck is very supportive of the KJV, but not enough in my opinion. In his sermons he explains why he believes (as I do) that the modern versions are corrupt, and explains why he believes (as I do) that the line of manuscripts on which the modern versions are based on is corrupt. However, at the end he encourages people to cross reference their study of the KJV with modern versions. Thats where I depart from Chuck."

What he said was to cross reference what they read in the new modern version with the KJV. You got him backwards.

:-(rm

2006/7/6 14:58

Re:

Thats not what he said at the end of his sermon... listen to the last 5 minutes of part II.

As for being rude toward you... I guess if someone is looking to be offended it wont matter how nicely someone words something... the other person will find a way to be offended. I fail to see how I was rude toward you...

...especially since I wasnt really responding to you, but was offering my honest opinion of Chuck's messages on the KJV.

I'm a cuddly teddy bear.

Dont pass judgement so quickly on people you dont know anything about. ;-)

Besides, you're a fellow North Carolinian... you're probably my cousin. What part of NC are you in?

Krispy

2006/7/6 15:13

Re:

#1. I did pay attention to CS. His implications aren't different from my own and that based on what I heard him say. Context means alot in this.

#2. You need to re-read your post in regards to "rudeness" and how it could be construed to mean me.

#3. I'm just south of Raleigh near Clayton. Perhaps your are near me?

Regards,

:-Drm

2006/7/6 16:01
groh_frog

Re:

I haven't heard the split version of Chuck Smith's sermon, but I've heard another one that he gave. It's posted on the Calvary Costa Mesa website, but I don't remember how to get to it. I'm sure Krispy remembers.

Much of this is a conversation that Krispy and I held a long time ago. I was almost die-hard NIV, and he stood behind KJV. After listening to Pastor Smith, and doing a little footwork myself, I'll say that I pretty much take the same stance as Krispy does now. I can't understand how some of these bad translations can be so popular.

Now, as Chuck Smith says, I don't think KJV is the only way to go. I believe you can be saved out of an NIV. I believe sanctification can happen in your life while using NAS. But honestly, for the normal, english-speaking person who's capable of understanding KJV (Come on, it's not that far of a stretch, and it really does get easier as you get acclimated), I don't know why you'd settle for anything less than a translation from the TR.

2006/7/6 21:30Profile
groh_frog

Re:

Ok, actually, I can understand why some of these newer translations are so popular. It's much the same as fast food (thanks Krispy, again, for the intuitive spark) that we (Americans) love. It's usually horrible for you, but it's quick, tastes great, easy to swallow...

2006/7/6 21:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
#3. I'm just south of Raleigh near Clayton. Perhaps your are near me?

I'm near Asheville... I live right on the Henderson/Transylvania county line. My wife and my two older sons will be in Releigh next week for a couple days.

Good to meet ya, neighbor!

Krispy

2006/7/7 7:27

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy