SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 6

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"I must honestly declare my conviction that, since the days of the Reformation, there never has been so much profession of religion without practice, so much talking about God without walking with Him, so much hearing God's words without doing them, as there is in England at this present date. Never were there so many empty tubs and tinkling cymbals! Never was there so much formality and so little reality. The whole tone of men's minds on what constitutes practical Christianity seems lowered. The old golden standard of the behaviour which becomes a Christian man or woman appears debased and degenerated. You may see scores of religious people (so-called) continually doing things which in days gone by would have been thought utterly inconsistent with vital religion. They see no harm in such things as card-playing, theatre-going, dancing, incessant novel-reading, and Sunday-travelling, and they cannot in the least understand what you mean by objecting to them! The ancient tenderness of conscience about such things seems dying away and becoming extinct, like the dodo; and when you venture to remonstrate with young communicants who indulge in them, they only stare at you as an old-fashioned, narrow-minded, fossilized person, and say, 'Where is the harm?' In short, laxity of ideas amoung young men, and 'fastness' and levity among young women, are only too common characteristics of the rising generation of Christian professors."

-- J.C. Ryle

2006/10/23 13:37Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"We want more men and women who walk with God and before God, like Enoch and Abraham. Though our numbers at this date far exceed those of our evangelical forefathers, I believe we fall far short of them in our standard of Christian practice. Where is the self-denial, the redemption of time, the absence of luxury and self-indulgence, the unmistakable separation from earthly things, the manifest air of being always about our Master's business, the singleness of eye, the simplicity of home life, the high tone of conversation in society, the patience, the humility, the universal courtesy, which marked so many of our forerunners seventy or eighty years ago? Yes: where is it indeed? We have inherited their principles, and we wear their armour, but I fear we have not inherited their practice. The Holy Ghost sees it, and is grieved; and the world sees it, and despises us. The world sees it, and cares little for our testimony. It is life, life--a heavenly, godly, Christ-like life--depend on it, which influences the world. Let us resolve, by God's blessing, to shake off this reproach. Let us awake to a clear view of what the times require of us in this matter. Let us aim at a much higher standard of practice. Let the time past suffice us to have been content with a half-and-half holiness. For the time to come, let us endeavour to walk with God, to be 'thorough' and unmistakable in our daily life, and to silence, if we cannot convert, a sneering world."

-- J.C. Ryle

2006/10/23 13:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"We shall have eternity in which to celebrate our victories, but we only have one swift hour before sunset in which to win them!"
-Anonymous

2006/10/28 3:33Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re:

Not how many meetings you go to.
Not how many gifts you have.
Not how many sermons you preach.
Not how many records you've made.
Tell me what time you spend alone with God...
and I'll tell you how spiritual you are

Leonard Ravenhill

2006/10/30 23:34Profile
Peacemaker

Bakersfield, California

Re:

"If Jesus had preached the same message that ministers preach today, He would never have been crucified."

Leonard Ravenhill

2006/10/30 23:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"Men are perishing, children are dying, Hell is filling, yet you are sleeping!"
-David Legge

2006/11/6 20:47Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

"I'm not about to put up a silly skit and preach a 15-minute message on 'how to cope' to a multitude of people who are dying and going to hell. I tremble at the thought."

- David Wilkerson

2006/11/8 15:37Profile
kobilove

Re:

“Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to the garage makes you a car.”
--Laurence J. Peter

2006/11/8 22:29Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"If you are strangers to prayer you are strangers to power."
- Billy Sunday

2006/11/9 2:35Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

“There are two sorts of hypocrites: one that are deceived with their outward morality and external religion; many of whom are professed Arminians, in the doctrine of justification: and the other, are those that are deceived with false discoveries and elevations; who often cry down works, and men's own righteousness, and talk much of free grace; but at the same time make a righteousness of their discoveries and of their humiliation, and exalt themselves to heaven with them.”
- Jonathan Edwards

2006/11/11 21:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy