SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 6

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Great Quotes 6

New Thread, share your favorite quotes, long, short, one's that don't fit in other categories. Also for reference is the locked topic of the first Great Quotes thread here:

Great Quotes
Great Quotes 2
Great Quotes 3
Great Quotes 4
Great Quotes 5
---

"But they could not endure to hear of purity, and of victory over sin and the devil. They said they could not believe any could be free from sin on this side of the grave. I bade them give over babbling about the Scriptures, which were holy men's words, whilst they pleaded for unholiness. Then I bade them forbear talking of the Scriptures, which were the holy men's words; "for," said I, "the holy men that wrote the Scriptures pleaded for holiness in heart, life, and conversation here; but since you plead for impurity and sin, which is of the devil, what have you to do with the holy men's words?"
-George Fox

2006/7/3 13:01Profile
iamhis

North Carolina

Re: Great Quotes 6

Smith Wigglesworth said "Fear looks but Faith jumps."

2006/7/3 13:45Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"But see that impenitent sinner. Convicted of his sin under the clear gospel light that shines all around him, he is driven to pray. He knows he ought to repent, and almost thinks he wants to, and will try. Yet still he clings to his sins, and will not give up his heart to God. Still he holds his heart in a state of impenitence. Now mark here; his sin in thus withholding his heart from God under so much light, involves greater guilt than all the abominations of the Heathen world. Put together the guilt of all those widows who immolate themselves on the funeral pile -- of those who hurl their children into the Ganges, or into the burning arms of Moloch -- all does not begin to approach the guilt of that convicted sinner's prayer who comes before God under the pressure of his conscience, and prays a heartless prayer, determined all the while to withhold his heart from God. Oh! why does this sinner thus tempt God, and thus abuse his love, and thus trample on his known authority? Oh! that moment of impenitence, while his prayers are forced by conscience from his burning lips, and yet he will not yield the controversy with his Maker -- that moment involves direr guilt than rests on all the Heathen world together! He knows more than they all, yet sins despite of all his knowledge. The many stripes belong to him -- the few to them."

-Charles G. Finney

2006/7/5 10:55Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"See that backslider? He has tasted the waters of life. He has been greatly enlightened. Perhaps he has really known the Lord by true faith -- and then see, he turns away to beg the husks of earthly pleasure! He turns his back on the bleeding Lamb! Now, put together all the guilt of every Heathen soul that has gone to hell -- of every soul that has gone from a state of utter moral darkness, and your guilt, backsliding Christian, is greater than all theirs!Do you, therefore, say, may God then, have mercy on my soul? So say we all; but we must add if it be possible; for who can say that such guilt as yours can be forgiven! Can Christ pray for you as he prayed for his murderers, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do?" Can he plead in your behalf, that you knew not what you were doing? Awful! awful! Where is the sounding line that shall measure the ocean-depth of your guilt?"

-Charles G. Finney

2006/7/5 10:58Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Those Finney quotes are sobering indeed. I was such a one as he describes, saying a "sinner's prayer" only out of fear of hell, with no intention of yielding my will to the Lord of heaven and earth. Indeed my guilt was so great.

But, and what a glorious 'but' this is, there was mercy for me at the foot of the cross! What forebearance and love is this, what amazing grace! The one who deserves many stripes now receives a crown, who is sufficient for these things?

In Christ,

Ron

2006/7/5 11:20Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"Suppose I should call out a sinner by name -- one of the sinners of this congregation, a son of pious parents -- and should call up the father also. I might say, Is this your son? Yes. What testimony can you bear about this son of yours? I have endeavoured to teach him all the ways of the Lord. Son, what can you say? I know my duty. I have heard it a thousand times. I know I ought to repent, but I never would.

Oh! if we understood this matter in all its bearings, it would fill every bosom with consternation and grief. How would our bowels hum and heave as a volcano! There would be one universal outcry of anguish and terror at the awful guilt and fearful doom of such a sinner!"

-Charles G. Finney

2006/7/5 13:24Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"It is time that we all understood this subject fully, and appreciated all its bearings. It is no doubt true, that however moral our children may be, they are more guilty than any other sinners under heaven, if they live in sin, and will not yield to the light under which they live. We may be perhaps congratulating ourselves on their fair morality; but if we saw their case in all its real bearings, our souls would groan with agony -- our bowels would be all liquid with anguish -- our very hearts within us would heave as if volcanic fires were kindled there -- so deep a sense should we have of their fearful guilt and of the awful doom they incur in denying the Lord that bought them and setting at naught a known salvation. Oh! if we ever pray, we should pour out our prayers for our offspring as if nothing could ever satisfy us or stay our importunity, but the blessings of a full salvation realised in their souls."

-Charles G. Finney

2006/7/5 13:25Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

"How foolish so many of us have been in the clear light of God's Word. We have been running off with blessings and anointings with God's power, instead of tarrying until Bible evidence of Pentecost came." Apostolic Faith (Azusa Street) - Issue #1

2006/7/5 16:00Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Some more quotes from the Apostolic Faith papers #5.

If you want to keep fat and filled with the power of the Holy Ghost, live off of the Word.

When you were poor and ugly in your own sight, then was the time God exalted and used you, but when you get to be some great Nebuchadnezzar, then God turns you out to eat grass like an ox. Keep little and God will use you.

You cannot win people by abusing their church or pastor. As long as you preach Christ, you feed souls; but as soon as you jump on the preacher, you grieve the Spirit. Preach Christ, and you will feed the flock and have fat sheep; but if you get to preaching against churches, you will find that sweet spirit of Christ that envieth not, vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, thinketh no evil, suffereth long and is kind, is lacking and a harsh judging spirit takes its place. If you feed them from Christ, you will find the same Spirit burning in their hearts.

We must deal patiently with the Lord's people. The Lord shows us in the parable of the ninety and nine, that we should not take the little lamb and beat it over the head; but lift it up into our bosom, just as the Shepherd did. We do not want to stamp out the little spark of life in one of God's weak ones, who has the Blood of Jesus Christ in their heart.

Many people claim to be saved from hell but not from sin. A good many are preaching that kind of salvation. They preach the fire all out of hell, but it is still there. We preach it is a lake burning with fire and brimstone, "And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." The only salvation is through the blood of Jesus that cleanses from all sin. It will save you throughout eternity. Christ has conquered death and hell.

2006/7/5 16:15Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

Here are some quotes on faith from an old preacher named George Kulp.

[b]Faith makes a man an optimist. The man who believes God cannot be discouraged.[/b] He hears the Master talking to him and, as he listens to Him, there comes the comforting words, "I am with thee even to the end." Now, the devil can launch his brigades and his divisions and his legions, but this man sees the other side and shouts the victory.

One day a smart little boy -- and you know there is nothing so smart as a little boy, unless it is a little girl -- said to his sister, "Can you spell water with three letters?" Of course she could not. Then he spelled it for her, i-c-e. When one gets where he can see God, he will find that every promise in the Bible is spelled v-i-c-t-o-r-y, -- victory over sin, over the world, the flesh, and the devil. "Oh, Brother Kulp, I have tried everything and I am defeated." [b]Quit "trying everything," and believe God. Faith is the victory.[/b]

The God who promised that He would take you through, no matter what may befall, is the same today, He will see you through until your soul shall be gladdened one day in the city where the sun never goes down. If I had my choice, I would rather he the son of a poor Christian man, rich with the promises of God, than to be the son of any millionaire on earth who did not know God. I would rather lean on God's Word than on any man' s money.

2006/7/6 8:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy