SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Has Noah's Ark Been Found?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Has Noah's Ark Been Found?

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

June 29, 2006 — A team of Texas archaeologists believe they may have located the remains of Noah's Ark in Iran's Elburz mountain range. "I can't imagine what it could be if it is not the Ark," said Arch Bonnema of the Bible Archaeology Search and Exploration (B.A.S.E) Institute, a Christian archeology organization dedicated to looking for biblical artifacts.

Bonnema and the other B.A.S.E. Institute members hiked for seven hours in the mountains northwest of Tehran, climbing 13,000 feet before making the apparent discovery. "We got up to this object, nestled in the side of a hill," said Robert Cornuke, a member of the B.A.S.E. Institute. "We found something that has my heart skipping a beat."

At first, they didn't dare to hope it was the biblical boat. "It wasn't impressive at first," Cornuke said. "Certainly didn't think it to be Noah's Ark. But when we got close, we were amazed. It looked similar to wood." In addition, some B.A.SE. members say, their discovery didn't look very distinctive.

"It looked like the deck of any boat today," Bonnema said. Long Search for the Ark. The Bible places the Ark in the mountains of Ararat, a mountain range theologians believe spans hundreds of miles, which the team says is consistent with their find in Iran.

The Bible also describes the Ark's dimensions as being 300 cubits by 50 cubits — about the size of a small aircraft carrier. The B.A.S.E. Institute's discovery is similar in size and scale. "It is provocative to think that this could be the lost ark of Noah," Cornuke said. Throughout history, people have been searching for the Ark to help prove God's existence.

"There's this idea, if we can prove that the ark existed then we can prove that the story existed, and more importantly, we can prove that God existed," said Bruce Feiler, author of "Where God Was Born."

Previous scholars have searched for the Ark on Mount Ararat in Turkey. "Czar Nicholas, actually, in 1916 sent two expeditions to photograph it on top of Mount Ararat," said Feiler. One former U.S. president, Feiler said, looked for it in the mountains of Iran. "There is a story that Jimmy Carter, on his way to visit the Shah of Iran in 1977, purposefully flew over it," he said.

As recently as March, researcher claimed to have satellite photos that proved the presence of Ark remains. The B.A.S.E institute hopes the physical evidence they've brought back from Iran will hold the answer to this enduring mystery. "People will always be looking for it, always be skeptical, always be excited of the search," Cornuke said. "But I think we found something here that's very notable." The B.A.S.E. Institute's samples are being examined at labs in Texas and Florida. B.A.S.E officials concede that there would be no way to conclusively prove that their finding is actually Noah's Ark.

So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of gopher wood but no one knows what it is.

2006/6/29 18:44Profile
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Has Noah's Ark Been Found?

Very interesting.

2006/6/29 22:26Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/whatsnew/default.jsp?story=20060630-0847

This link has several pictures of the ark! 400 foot long pieces of petrified wood 13,000 feet up the side of a mountain. Gee, I wonder how that gets there.

2006/6/30 16:20Profile

Re:

another interesting site:
http://wyattmuseum.com/noahs-ark.htm

picture:

http://wyattmuseum.com/images/wpe109.jpg

2006/6/30 17:14
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This link has several pictures of the ark! 400 foot long pieces of petrified wood 13,000 feet up the side of a mountain. Gee, I wonder how that gets there.

Yes, this looks very hopeful, if it is in God's good pleasure to reveal to this world the trustworthy testimony of the Word of God then great! It will really open the eyes of alot of people and get people reading the scriptures more. If it does prove to be nearly true or true, it will be on all the news stations quite soon.

2006/6/30 17:17Profile
freedbyjc

Jacksonville. Florida

Re:

Still another link to an older version of the story... [url=http://www.hikingthetrailoftruth.com/TrailTime.htm]Trailside Meadow[/url]

2006/7/24 13:02Profile

Re: Noah's Ark found?

Quote:
If it does prove to be nearly true

Greg, I can't let this go without a comment. Please try to stop thinking in terms such as 'nearly true'.

This whole age is steeped in scepticism, and it is a mental and intellectual discipline to resist it.... and profitable for the soul, I believe.

2006/7/26 13:24
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: Has Noah's Ark Been Found?

Quote:

sermonindex wrote:
So the hunt goes on. The biggest hurdle in identifying Noah's Ark comes down to "gopher wood." The Bible says the Ark was made of gopher wood but no one knows what it is.

doesn't the Bible also say Cypress wood?

Either way, if someone doesn't want to believe, no evidence will convince them. There is plenty of archeological evidence to prove the Bible is true, but people would rather use nature to explain it away.

I personally think this is the real thing, but if it isn't, I still know the Bible is true.

:-P

2006/7/26 13:59Profile

Re:

Quote:
doesn't the Bible also say Cypress wood?

Actually, some of the modern versions say that the ark was made out of Lego's...

:-P

Krispy

2006/7/26 16:36
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Actually, some of the modern versions say that the ark was made out of Lego's...

you are a case!!! :-D :-D

2006/7/26 17:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy