SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is moral perfection possible?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re: Is moral perfection possible?

Before you get into a discussion of whether or not "perfection" is possible, we must first define "perfection". What is "perfect"?

Is perfection something you do or something you are? What or who gives definition to perfection? If perfection is lost, how can it be attained?

Additionally, what is sin? Is sin outward, something committed in body and deed, or something inward, commited in spirit? Can a person whose intention is good, whose spirit is good, commit a sin outwardly in the flesh, in deed, and yet still be perfected in spirit? Can a person ever be perfect in the flesh?

Lastly, what of our own perfection? Is it something in our control? Or something outside our control? Do we make ourselves perfect? Is that possible? Or does God make us perfect? And if God makes us perfect and we sin, why did we sin?

Some questions to ponder...

In Christ,
Blake

2006/6/27 15:45Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Eze 36:25 Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from [b]all your filthiness[/b], and from [b]all[/b] your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

Eze 18:30 Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from [b]all[/b] your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.
Eze 18:31 Cast away from you [b]all[/b] your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

1Th 5:23 And the very God of peace [b]sanctify you wholly[/b]; and I pray God your [b]whole[/b] spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1Th 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

2Co 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from [b]all filthiness[/b] of the flesh and spirit, [b]perfecting holiness[/b] in the fear of God.

Col 4:12 Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, that ye may stand [b]perfect and complete[/b] in all the will of God.

In Barnes' Notes upon 2 Cor. viii. 1, we have the following:--
"The unceasing and steady aim of every Christian should be perfection--perfection in all things--in the love of God, of Christ, of man; perfection of heart, and feeling, and emotion; perfection in his words, and plans, and dealings with men; perfection in his prayers, and in his submission to the will of God. No man can be a Christian who does not sincerely desire it, and who does not constantly aim at it. No man is a friend of God who can acquiesce in a state of sin, and who is satisfied and contented that he is not as holy as God is holy. And any man who has no desire to be perfect as God is, and who does not make it his daily and constant aim to be as perfect as God, may set it down as demonstrably certain that he has no true religion."

2006/6/27 17:40Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

""I asked myself the same question, and the Spirit of God led me to the answer. One that brought much comfort and assurance. It's heavenly divine.
I will Return.""

I like this.

I like this also, how about I have returned in the Spirit of all believers. "When that which is perfect is come," Is He come? Are we known as He is known to us? The Holy Spirit reveals Him to us more and more each day. As Paul has said, "Phl 3:10 That I may know Him, and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death; Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. 1Jo 5:20 And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know Him that is true, and we are in Him that is true, [even] in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life.

Has He Come? Are we Perfect in Him? What more can we say? Yes, Yes and Yes Yes. Praise God and Amen.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/6/27 17:56Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
I like this also, how about I have returned in the Spirit of all believers. "When that which is perfect is come," Is He come?

The context of this verse is the comming of Christ. In that day, when we shal see Him face to face. No, it has not come. But it shall come. And in that day we shall be Like Him because we shall see Him as He is.

In that day is the day of His comming which is also the day of our transfiguration into the complete image of his likeness. In that day we shall be truly like Him inwardly and outwardly.

Graftedbranch

2006/6/27 19:47Profile

Re:

Great question.

If were born of incorruptable seed and not of corruptable than that means there is no corruption after we are born again. Right? The question is what part is incorruptable? I believe it is our spirit that is incorruptable. "That which is born of flesh is flesh and that which is born of spirit is spirit." What spirit? The holy spirit. If our flesh is "concieved in sin" that means our flesh is born in sin and there is no hope because the flesh can't be born of the spirit. Right?

So our spirit is perfect but our flesh is imperfect and it can't be saved until we recieve an "unfallen" new body untouched by sin.

But we must keep our flesh under SUBJECTION or it will either be PUNISHED or DESTROYED.

J-bird

2006/6/27 19:47
inastruzay

Re:

Philp 3:12-16
Yea, for me I know that it is doctrinely sound to know the above and I believe it, and practice it, but, for me, it is exercising to keep a mentality that perhaps it is attainable now?
This is a kind of self imposed discipline but an hope as well.

this is a good thread. Thanks guys.

2006/6/27 20:06Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
If were born of incorruptable seed and not of corruptable than that means there is no corruption after we are born again. Right? The question is what part is incorruptable? I believe it is our spirit that is incorruptable. "That which is born of flesh is flesh and that which is born of spirit is spirit." What spirit? The holy spirit. If our flesh is "concieved in sin" that means our flesh is born in sin and there is no hope because the flesh can't be born of the spirit. Right?

Advancing the notion of Christian perfection in some absolute sense is the most contrary notion in all of church history as it has never been attained.

Not even the apostle Paul claimed to "have obtained or alreatd benn perfected.".

Christian perfection consist in being in oneness and fellowship with the perfect one and being constituted with His perfect Life and nature.

The New birth bring into us this incorruptable Seed. But it is just a seed and must grow and develop. It is planted in fallen men and women who have been redeemed and justified in and by Christ and who as children with His lIfe must grow up in all things into Christ who is the Head.

There are many experiences and crisis which we undergo as believers beginning with repentance and faith resulting in the New Birth. But there is no one expreince which renders us perfect in ourselves but rather each crises and experience brings us into a deeper realization of our own corruption and Christ's indwelling perfect, overcomming Life with in us. And brings us deeper into a life of dependance upon Him.

The more we exprerience Christ, the more we are conciouse that "in me, that is in my flesh dwelleth no good thing". The more we know that in ourselves we are nothing and can do nothing and Christ must be all in all to us.

Graftedbranch

2006/6/27 20:57Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

""The New birth bring into us this incorruptable Seed. But it is just a seed and must grow and develop. It is planted in fallen men and women who have been redeemed and justified in and by Christ and who as children with His lIfe must grow up in all things into Christ who is the Head.""

The iIncorruptable Seed of the Spirit of Christ is full complete birthed in Mary, striped, crucified, dead, resurrected, ascended, and born again in the Believer. The Seed of Christ is full blown and all consuming life in the Mature Seed of the Father brought forth In Christ.

The Place where we must mature is in our mind, we already have the Mind of Christ but it is not His Mind that takes over our mind as the Spirit of Christ takes the spirit of Satan out, (dead old nature) and gives birth to our new nature Spirit, which is the Spirit of Christ. Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. The Holy Spirit is the Worker in our mind. The Mind of Christ is "finished", ours is not and never will be. Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. (That is death life in satan.)
Rom 8:10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

The Holy Spirit is the soul=spirit Teacher of the Mind of Christ that our mind is maturing into. Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, He that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by His Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Our wisdom in our mind comes from the Holy Spirit baptized into us by the Spirit of Christ that is birthed in us sent by the answered prayer of Jesus Christ by the Father. Christ is "made" wisdom to us by the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 1:30 But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
"Of Him" is the Holy Spirit, In Christ Jesus, by God the Father made to us, wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption.

Wisdom: 4678. sophia
Search for G4678 in KJVSL
sojia sophia sof-ee'-ah
from 4680; wisdom (higher or lower, worldly or spiritual):--wisdom.

Righteousness: 1343. dikaiosune
Search for G1343 in KJVSL
dikaiosunh dikaiosune dik-ah-yos-oo'-nay
from 1342; equity (of character or act); specially (Christian) justification:--righteousness.

Sanctification: 38. hagiasmos
Search for G38 in KJVSL
agiasmoV hagiasmos hag-ee-as-mos'
from 37; properly, purification, i.e. (the state) purity; concretely (by Hebraism) a purifier:--holiness, sanctification.

Redemption: 629. apolutrosis
Search for G629 in KJVSL
apolutrwsiV apolutrosis ap-ol-oo'-tro-sis
from a compound of 575 and 3083; (the act) ransom in full, i.e. (figuratively) riddance, or (specially) Christian salvation:--deliverance, redemption.

All Three of the God Head The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit are in the believer, making Their Abode with us that we will put on the Nature of Christ in us the Hope of Glory. Perfect In the Spirit of Christ, becoming Perfect in the mind=soul-spirit and will be perfect in body. 2Cr 1:10 Who delivered us (Christ)from so great a death, and doth deliver: (Holy Spirit) in Whom we trust that He will yet deliver [us]; God the Father with a new resurrected body Like Jesus Christ.

Perfect? Not Yet but getting their, and what we all should seek, to know Him in the Seed of Christ.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/6/27 21:46Profile
RandyJ

Peace River, AB, Canada

Re:

Quote:
We cannot with Paul say we have obtained. But by the indwelling Divine Life we pursue and as we do we are being perfected in this indweling Divine Life.

This is a common arguement. Also it was said that "even Paul said that he never attained unto perfection".

I think that this verse was taken out of context.

"If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect"

The perfection that he is talking about is the ressurection of the dead and more specifically the receiving of a body "fashioned like unto his glorious body".

But to use this verse to speak of the impossibility is vain for he says "I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded"

So there is a sense in which we may be perfect and a sense in which we will not be perfect until we receive a glorified body. I have shown also in a former post the fact that there is yet another sense in which we will never be perfect, to wit, perfect in understanding and the subsequent outward life that follows the perfect understanding.

So the obvious sense in which we are commanded to "be perfect as our heavenly Father is perfect" is moral perfection or wilful conformity to the law as we understand it. We cannot be obligated to do that which is impossible and so it would be bold faced mockery for Christ to command a type of perfection that was impossible for us to enact.

PS I still am wondering whether or not there are some here that think that the guy in Romans 7 who is "carnal, sold under sin" is a Christian.

Randy

2006/6/28 9:49Profile
mamaluk

Re:

"so it would be bold faced mockery for Christ to command a type of perfection that was impossible for us to enact." Quote from RandyJ

Right on!!

Thanks,
mml

2006/6/28 11:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy