SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : How many people here suffer from depression

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re: How many people here suffer from depression

Quote:
Hope that helps give you more understanding as to where I am in this thing.

Ormly, it does, thanks.
Quote:
Clinical depression is a neurological condition which requires medical treatment...

I prefer not to refer to "extreme sadness" as "depression" as it tends to water down "clinical depression" in the minds of those who cannot distinguish between the two.

This is also helpful. I want to say though, that there are those who probably should have treatment, who don't know how to describe what's wrong, and who somehow pull through, and there are others, who genuinely flip in and out of suicidal feelings, who cannot get the medication they need, even though they report accurately what they are going through. Only once, the Lord permitted me to see and feel for a couple of seconds, what it 'feeling suicidal' feels like, and I was most impressed at how compelling it is.

The last thing a Christian should ever offer to someone who is experiencing these feelings, is permission to proceed. [i][b]Don't[/i][/b] think it's clever to put the person's resolve to the test. This is a person who has something genuinely broken in their neuro-chemistry, their spirit or their soul - even all three - and they need to hear that there is [u]help[/u] from somewhere. It may require a steep learning curve for those of us on the outside - and our time - validating the person's existence while a more permanent solution is found to their need, but, it [u]is[/u] worth making the effort, for Christ's sake.

2006/6/19 7:19

Re:

Quote:

CJaKfOrEsT wrote:
Quote:

Ormly wrote:
?? Sin or sins?

Obviously we will have a disagreement on this one.

My daughter died of cancer at the ripe age of 8 yrs which took hold when she was 5.. Now speak to me about "sins".:-(

Quote:
"Self" is "handled" by "crucifixion" (Gal 2:20; John 3:30)

When does or did this get accomplished in you?

:-orm

2006/6/19 10:31
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:
Obviously we will have a disagreement on this one.

My daughter died of cancer at the ripe age of 8 yrs which took hold when she was 5.. Now speak to me about "sins".:-(

Firstly, my condolences. Death caused by sickness is always a tragic thing. Please don't read my words to say "Cancer sufferers have cancer because of sin in their life." This is not what I meant. In fact, Asaph seems to imply the you would be more likely to suffer illness from being righteous than when in sin, in Psalm 73. By refering to "sin" I mean the condition of sin. Usually the one who suffers from the "sins" we commit is not us, but an "innocent party". Consider the variety of causes of cancer in this day and age, and even if we factor out genetic defects caused by the fall (as Answers in Genesis teach), most of these catalysts came about due to some convenvience that was intended to make our lives easy, or fun (ie, preservatives, skin cancer - due to sun bathing, etc...). We embrace these things, not realising the ramifications on our life, and run the risk of suffering the consequences.

Quote:

Kind of a long story. Was a moment, that began a process. Not finished yet.

2006/6/20 4:03Profile

Re:

by CJaKfOrEsT on 2006/6/20 4:03:55

Re: Your response to the first part.

Perhaps we aren't as far apart as I thought.

Thank you.

Quote:

Quote:
Kind of a long story. Was a moment, that began a process. Not finished yet.

Not looking for the long story just happy to read your words: "process" and "not finished yet".
However the process part is what I'm interested in since the process doesn't end for any of us though we can be deceived in believing "we have enough success in it" and are ok in regards to what Father requires of us. Fellowship hinges on the revelation that the gospel is an easy message but hard to live out. In fact it is impossible without a sensitive/intimate relationship with the Father. So much for liturical form of Christian piety and service from self mode. The term "for Jesus' sake" should take on a fresh meaning if the process is understood.

But perhaps I'm straying off topic..... But on the other hand?

In Him,

:-Drm

2006/6/20 6:39
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re:

Quote:

Ormly wrote:

One other note, because I can see how my words couldhave come across as harsh. My point was never to "water down" cancer, as much as to highlight that depression can be just as serious in cases, just as in some cases, in this day and age, cancer can be a minor and esily treated condition.

My wife often says, "Why do people joke about mental illness without fear of offending people, when they would be considered heartless if they did the same with cancer?" And this was my inspiration.

2006/6/20 8:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy