SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : God is Alive Today!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
moreofHim

God is Alive Today!

The Lord is ALIVE and working today! This just keeps running through my head and my spirit. I know many of my posts deal with, what some may call supernatural, or edgy. It is important that we don't forget that God is alive and doing wonderful, miraculous things everyday in believers lives.

When we read all of the testimonies and stories from the past, they are educating and wonderful, but the Lord did not stop doing wonderful things back then. He is speaking to his church, if we will be willing to listen, if we will stop talking At Him for awhile and just listen and wait.

We can be so filled up with reading, praying, reading, asking, reading, looking back at what He's done- that we are missing out on what He is doing now and what He wants to do right now in our very own lives.

We can be so taken up with trying to pour the information in, cram knowledge into our minds, almost like a compulsion. I have been guilty of this, I have had to stop "striving", and rest in Him.

Sometimes we groan for "how it used to be when", when in reality, God is always moving forward. We cannot go back. His kingdom is coming and we must move along to His beat. Though we can learn many wonderful things from the past- we must take those things learned and apply them with what God is doing at this present time. The clock has not stopped, the Lord is still the same as He was during any revival. We must not "idolize" a time period, the past, old testimonies. Our focus cannot be on looking back, because He wants our focus on Him. He wants our gaze fixed on Him.

Lord, I pray that my focus stays on You and You alone. That I quit "trying" to "do" anything, but allow You to "do" what You want. That we will become empty vessels to be filled and used by You. I pray that Your kingdom comes on earth quickly Lord, so that we may see Your preeminance over all. I pray that revival begins in every hungry heart by your igniting fire, and that as You look down upon us, You will see these "dots" of fire, and in the spirit realm, will unite to become one huge revival fire across the earth. Amen

2004/1/9 11:32Profile
moreofHim

Re: God is Alive Today!

Greg and everyone,

I am sorry for my zeal on this last thread. I am truly grateful for all of these past "great men of God". I am grateful for this site and all that is on here. I have learned a tremendous amount from past spiritual giants.

I have had to come to a point, even myself, where I don't want to get stuck there. I really felt like God was saying "I am alive today, too!"

I am really just wanting to offer hope and encouragement that He is capable of doing what He has in the past- and even IS doing today in believer's lives.

In Him, Chanin

I'll be quiet now. :-)

2004/1/9 12:15Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Chanin,

Bless you.
You are right, we can get 'stuck' and I am just as guilty in this.

It seems the narrow way and the broad path run parallel to each other and the drifting on to the main road is as easy as one step. So I liken it to running back down the old path, the old narrow way, where the saints have gone before, asking them questions, learning from them so that I can run back up the path and grab those who have fallen by the wayside or drifted off course.

But it is just as easy to go back, take a seat and park there, forgetting that the journey is up the road, where the need is. A good word of caution you have offered us.

Now, I'll be quiet and go [i]do[/i] something. :-)

2004/1/9 13:06Profile
moreofHim

Re:

I read this some months ago and it really convicted me of my "search for knowlege".

The Danger of Spiritual Ambition
Fenelon

It is not surprising that you are very ambitious to advance in your spiritual life, and to find yourself in the company of those who have reputation for being spiritual. No matter what it looks like, these things still flatter yourself love. Do not seek to fulfill your ambitions of becoming more spiritual or to be counted in the company of those people who are honored for their spirituality. Your aim should be to die to all such ambitions by lettering yourself be humbled. you must learn to accept obscurity and scornful disregard while you keep your eyes solely on God.

You may hear endless sermons about living a perfect life. You may know what everyone preaches about it and still be farther away from perfection than ever. Your deepest aim should be to turn a deaf ear to self, while listening to God in silence. You should renounce your pride and give yourself over to what pleases God. Say little and do much - without wondering if you have been noticed or not.

God will teach you more than even the most mature Christian could. He will teach you better than all the books in the world could. Why are you so eager to chase after knowledge? Don't you realize that all you need is to be poor in spirit and to know nothing but Christ and Him crucified.
Knowledge puffs up, it is only love that builds up (I Cor. 8:1)
Be content with love alone.

What! Do you think that the way to love God comes by getting more knowledge? You have already more than you can use. Practice what you already know rather than looking for more knowledge. You deceive yourself if you think you are growing spiritually because your curiosity has intellectually explored some spiritual idea. Humble yourself and do not expect to receive from man what God alone can give.

2004/1/9 13:43Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

This reminded me of something I read of Tozer recently so I thought I would share;

We would think of God, then, as maintaining the unity of His uncreated being throughout all His works and His years, as ever saying not only, "I did", and "I will do", but also "I do" and "I am doing." A robust faith requires that we grasp this truth firmly, yet we know how seldom such a thought enters our minds. We habitually stand in our [i]now[/i] and look back by faith to see the past filled with God. We look forward and see Him inhabiting our future; but our [i]now[/i] is uninhabited except for ourselves...and we are lonely with an ancient and cosmic loneliness...but for all our fears we are not alone. Our trouble is that we [i]think[/i] of ourselves as being alone. Let us correct the error by thinking of ourselves as standing by the bank of a full flowing river; then let us think of that river as being none other than God Himself. We glance to the left and see the river coming full out of our past; we look to the right and see it flowing on into our future. [i]But we see also that it is flowing through our present[/i]

2004/1/9 14:11Profile
JENNYB34N

Re:

Chanin, I do hope that you remember me. Tried to find you for years. I'm Jennifer. Hope to hear from you. No idea how to write you on here.

2020/7/13 14:03Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy