SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Paul is the author of Hebrews

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
dohzman

Re: Just a thought here

The fact is we don't know. The writting style is slightly different from Paul and at the same time has some similarities. It could be agrues that Timothy was never in prison while Paul was still alive-(that is if you check in this history)--Heb 13:23 Know ye that our brother Timothy hath been set at liberty; with whom, if he come shortly, I will see you.
-----That is of course as long as this Timothy is the same Timothy Paul discipled.

Personally though I believe the book is shrouded in mystery by intention from God. I believe it gives it almost a more timeless authority, don't you think?
8-)

2006/6/7 15:48Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: Paul is the author of Hebrews

Quote:

The KJ version states the audience of the letter had compassion for the writer of the letter because of HIS bonds. And who was imprisoned more for their faith in Christ then Paul.

When one reads the NT, we see lots of Christians in prison. One might say being in prison and being a Christian tended to go hand in hand.

2006/6/7 15:54Profile
Logic

Re:

saved_matt wrote:

Quote:
that it could have been Appolus, after all he was 'man mighty in the scriptures' Acts 18:24,

I agree that it might be Appolus.

This verse proves that it isn't an apostle:

[b]Hebrews 2:3[/b] [color=990000]How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us [b]by them that heard Him;[/b][/color]

The term "them" is the ones who actualy heard Jesus.
The term "us" are the regular folk like, us.

2006/6/7 15:56Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

Quote:

This verse proves that it isn't an apostle:

[b]Hebrews 2:3[/b] [color=990000]How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us [b]by them that heard Him;[/b][/color]

The term "them" is the ones who actualy heard Jesus.
The term "us" are the regular folk like, us.

That could be unless, the writer was trying to hide indentity because of percesution which is very much a possibility seeing he wanted to be compassionate to those in prison. But it can also be that the writer just witheld his name for the sake of humility.

But I like this observation, thanks for pointing it out.

2006/6/7 16:06Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Robert,

I actually don't have a theory, I may require a few moments to conjure one up.

Hebrews is unlike all the other letters in the New Testament. The other letters were written to specific churches like Corinth or Phillipi. Then there were the three pastoral epistles written to Timothy and Titus.

It says the intended recipients of Hebrews is simply his brethren Heb 13:22.

The letter mentions he wishes to be restored to his brethren, which I take to mean he is imprisoned. I realize Paul wasn't the only one ever thrown in jail. Timothy is regarded in this letter as his brother as opposed to his son. Not sure what to make of that?

Murray

2006/6/7 16:21Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
That could be unless, the writer was trying to hide indentity because of percesution which is very much a possibility seeing he wanted to be compassionate to those in prison.

This would make sense also because a name would be an invitation to persecution. I do believe that the one God used to pen the epistle had benefitted from Paul's teachings. That would tend to date the writing towards the end of the first century CE. I am not so sure that would fit, as it would seem that the early church could have used the information contained in the book to relieve the Jews of their focus on the Temple before 70 CE. Then again, maybe it having been destroyed, they could have understood how a 'better' Priesthood had supplanted it, etc.

2006/6/7 16:23Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

2 Thessalonians was written in AD 54. Hebrews was written around AD 67. 13 years later.

Perhaps because of its intended audience, not a church, but to the Jewish believers, and because of it's emphasis upon the Divine authorship of the scriptures, Paul did not see fit to give his usual salutation.

I like the preface in the RcV:

Author: apparently the apostle Paul, who alone was qualified to write the deep, high, and rich content of the book. The mention of Timothy and the tone of the fellowship also point to Paul as the author.

The footnote on vs 1:1 reads:

The emphasis of this book is that God, not man has spoken. Therefore, it does not identify its writer, nor in any of its quotations from the Old Testament does it mention the speaker's name. According to the concept of the book, the entire Scripture is the speaking of God. Hence, in referring to the Old Testament, this book always says that it is the Holy Spirit's speaking (3:7; 9:8; 10:15-17)

This I believe gives support to those who suggest, "the author is God" and leave it at that.

Graftedbranch

2006/6/11 19:00Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Amen.

2006/6/11 21:40Profile
Graftedbranc

Re:

Quote:
Hebrews is unlike all the other letters in the New Testament. The other letters were written to specific churches like Corinth or Phillipi. Then there were the three pastoral epistles written to Timothy and Titus.

I wonder why we call these "pastoral epistles'. Neither Timothy or Titus were "pastors' in the modern sense of it. They were co-workers with the Apostles and were never identified even as elders in any church. Rather the apostle exorted Timothy to appoint elders in the churches "in every place" and that was the content practically of the books.

It is interesting how we take modern traditional concepts and impose them on the scriptures. How many actually believe that 1 and 2 Timothy and Titus were written to "pastors" of a church? IN the New Testament church there was no such thing.

Graftedbranch

2006/6/12 10:04Profile
Logic

Re:

murdog wrote:

Quote:

It says the intended recipients of Hebrews is simply his brethren Heb 13:22.

You can say this about James too

[b]James 1:1[/b] [color=990000]From James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ: Greetings [b]to all God's people scattered over the whole world.[/b][/color]

2006/6/12 23:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy