SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Has the Meaning and Depth of God's Grace Sunk In?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Has the Meaning and Depth of God's Grace Sunk In?

[b]A Day's Journey[/b]
MAY 22ND
by Jon Courson

[i]"Moreover the law entered, that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound: That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord."[/i]

Romans 5:20-21

Everything wrong with the world today, everything wrong with you, your family, and the people you work with is all due to Adam's failure. Knowing this allows me to see people in an entirely different light. I realize that whether a man is a sly entrepreneur who cheats his way into money he shouldn't have by cutting deals he shouldn't make, or whether he's as obvious and gross in his sin as Charles Manson - I am no less a sinner than he. And it's all because of Adam.

No wonder Jesus could look at the multitudes and have compassion on them - not crusade against them, march to get rid of them, or mobilize to neutralize them. He looked at the multitudes, and in every instance, He had compassion.

You see, when it finally sinks in that by one Man righteousness justification, and grace came - I stop striving and stuggling to prove I'm a notch or two above you, and I stop feeling bad if I'm a notch or two below you. I'm not the issue at all. He is. When I understand this, I stop being a worker and become a worshipper.

Do I find myself trying to earn blessings by intensive prayer or Bible study? Do I try and prove I'm saved by street witnessing or by ministering in Mexico? If I fall into that trap, my Christian experience will always be one of analyzing, scrutinizing, and condemning myself and others.

Salvation is not based upon my knowledge, my deep study, or my 24-hour prayer chain. It's based upon one thing only: the grace and goodness of God in sending One Man, the Last Adam: Jesus Christ.

2006/5/22 13:32Profile
Salmmbone

Nairobi,Kenya

Re: Has the Meaning and Depth of God's Grace Sunk In?

What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25 Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Father am new to this faith, I pray that you show me how to trust you, understand scripture and that your Grace may abound in me always. Thank you God.

2016/6/22 8:10Profile

true faith in Christ produces the fruit of the Spirit

I believe that faith without works is dead, because true faith in Christ produces the fruit of the Spirit, while false faith produces nothing but dead works (James 2:26). I believe that false faith is a mental assent trusting in doctrinal truths, while true faith is of the heart and therefore trusts the PERSON of Jesus who is the truth (John 5:39; John 14:6), I believe that Christ produces the fruits of the Spirit naturally, as I trust Him.

Since I am abiding in Christ, He bears much fruit through me and glorifies God, the Father (John 15:8). Since Jesus is my Lord (1 Cor. 12:3), He reject any counterfeit works of Satan in my life. I agree with this rejection, because these works are simply not who I am (Rom. 8:9). I believe that in the Cross of Christ, I have been crucified to the wrong use of my flesh, and do not fulfill its lust by simply walking in the Spirit truth concerning who I really am. (Gal. 5:21; 5:16)

I believe that I have all the gifts of the Spirit, because Jesus, the Giver, lives in me. However, He manifest any particular gift, as He wills (1 Cor.4-11). I believe that out from me shall flow rivers of living water (John 7:38). I believe that God chose me, and calls me His friend (John 15:15-16).

I believe that the truth will set me free (John 8:32) and that walking in the light is the only path of fellowship ( I John 1:7). I believe that Jesus in me stands against Satan’s deception by taking every thought captive in obedience to Himself (2 Cor. 10:5). I believe that through the Cross I have put off the old self with its evil practices and I have put on the new self (Col. 3:9-10). I declare myself to be a new Creature in Christ, the old self has past away, and the new self is Christ in me the only hope of Glory (2 Cor. 5:17; Col. 1:27).

2016/6/22 13:10

The author writes........

"Salvation is not based upon my knowledge, my deep study, or my 24-hour prayer chain. It's based upon one thing only: the grace and goodness of God in sending One Man, the Last Adam: Jesus Christ."

Just one critical part missing from that equation and if the author had added this on I would agree...........

"Salvation is not based upon my knowledge, my deep study, or my 24-hour prayer chain. It's based upon one thing only: the grace and goodness of God in sending One Man, the Last Adam: Jesus Christ and my response to it." .........bro Frank

2016/6/22 13:18
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

True Frank. That addition is vital. When we read that faith without works is dead, we must realize that for faith to be true, it must result in action. What I truly believe, I will do something about. When i do not believe, I will remain action-less.

2016/6/23 19:27Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Of course I must agree that salvation does not come by works nor do I earn points with God with my best efforts. We are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. This is our foundation. Yet, as Paul advised the Corinthians, let every man be careful how he builds on this foundation. How do I allow the grace of God to work in me? Am I a hearer of the Word only, or a doer? Can I say with Paul: " I did not receive the grace of God in vain..." and ",,,I worked harder than all the apostles...". I.O.W. The knowledge, the prayers, the evangelism, the good works...ALL are fruits of the righteousness received by faith, nonetheless the fruit must be there on the healthy tree. Good works therefore, are the evidence of faith and of grace received (some sixty some hundred fold...). God bless!

2016/6/25 5:35Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

These threads are wearisome. They promote the false Joseph Prince type of gospel. The irony is this: if you believe that grace alone and faith alone in grace alone is sufficient, why do you keep making these Jericho laps around the discussion boards announcing it? For the love, take advantage of your rest in what you believe to be true and lay your burden down. You do not have to work so hard to prove you are right in order to be accepted by Jesus. Nobody here promotes or believes a works-oriented righteousness, so nobody here NEEDS to hear it; the only people pleased by the incessant posting this tripe are the cadre of people posting it. Jesus isn't pleased with it since, by your own admission, He doesn't need to be. Since you don't need for Him to be pleased, the only conclusion to reach is that you need US to be (which is men-pleasing) or you need EACH OTHER to be pleased (which is also men-pleasing but the rest of us don't want to be included in your echo chamber).

Kindly, pretty please, stop. Please.

2016/6/25 8:40Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Colossians 1:27-29 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

The only works I myself can accomplish are as dirty rags zero, zip, nothing.

The works that account for righteousness are His works which by faith are mighty in me. His works, which I strive accordingly to His perfection in me. Without Him I can do nothing. This warning is for every man; We can only be perfect in Christ, not my perfection but His. I still need to confess and repent daily.

1 Corinthians 1:28-31 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

No glory in my works, my only glory is in Him and His works in and through me. That is the faith of Him who lives in me which is now my faith thus putting works to faith.

Sorry Dolfan, could not Help it.

In Christ: Phillip

2016/6/26 7:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy