SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is it ok to say "if" I heard the Lord right in our everyday walk?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
MrBillPro

Texas

Is it ok to say "if" I heard the Lord right in our everyday walk?

This post "is not" to blast Pat Robertson and this "is not" my intentions and I hope and Pray it can stay on the original topic I am asking because I need to know for personal reasons, is it ok to say "if" I heard the Lord right in our everyday walk as we discuss what God has spoken to us personally about something? or should we be more positive and say The Lord spoke to me today and told me this and leave out the "if". This could be awful confusing especially for the non-believer, should we not be more positive in the words we speak if it's from God?

Robertson said the revelations about this year's weather came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8. On Wednesday, he added, "There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest."

2006/5/18 23:04Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re: Is it ok to say "if" I heard the Lord right in our everyday walk?

bro Bill
well i don't think it's a bad thing to say "if i heard the Lord right" if whatever you or i think we heard from heaven doesn't come to pass then we know who to blame. this doesn't mean that whatever was said will not come to pass necessarily. the messenger may have jumped the gun, or not heard the message from heaven. i'm kinda learning or should i say the Lord is becoming my boldness in speaking what i hear from heaven because i'm finding it is often offensive. my natural man would rather not rock the boat...

the best way though is to take such a word and present it to God and see if it indeed is from him or not.

2006/5/18 23:55Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Thanks Ironman I guess what I was looking for was before it came to pass, I think I would feel kinda weird presenting it back to God if he just told me something "but don't know" I also might feel he might say son were is your faith what did I just tell you. Hey this is some good stuff here to ponder, like I said it's really something I personally would like to know, "but there may be no real answer" really we could say "if" every time the Lord spoke to us if we wanted, but don't you think at some point we should say I am sure that the Lord spoke to me and told me this and this is what I am believing? "if" can leave doubt in our hearts and if he spoke something to us that required fast action on our part man this could be really confusing and we might not act, I don't know and this is why I posted this, because I have been personally told something that did come to pass and I did not act a while back and because I was wondering "if" it was really going to come to pass in other words I had some doubt, but what did come to pass was by no means a life or death situation but it could have just been a test of my faith and if it was I failed. You kinda see where I am coming from?
Thanks Ironman
Bro. Bill

2006/5/19 0:28Profile

Hi MrBillPro

Quote:
don't you think at some point we should say [b]I am sure that the Lord spoke to me[/b] and told me this [b]and this is what I am believing?[/b]

Yes. This is a good definition of faith..... that is [b][i]believing what God has said to you[/i][/b]

Let me put this complexion on the word which the Lord gave you previously...... He knows you, and He knew how you would wonder whether you could trust it. (Btw, this has also happened to me.) He wanted you to be able to check that it was His word, because it did come to pass.

If you now believe you were disobedient for not [i]doing[/i] something you should have because of that word, then you know the way forward, and next time, you won't put a word from God through the sieve of your mind... You will trust it, and take the necessary step(s) of faith. Then He will (or can) give you more light as to any further step He requires.

This question ties in very well with mine in the Lounge 'Love is [i][b]not[/b][/i] obejective?'

2006/5/19 6:27
roadsign

Re: Hath God really said?

Quote:
if he spoke something to us that required fast action on our part man this could be really confusing and we might not act,

I think you express a legitimate concern, BillPro.
His words could merely instill a sense of helplessness and confusion. ... like, "So what are we supposed to do about it!"

But then, I don't know the rest of his message. Maybe it is very helpful overall.

The first thought that popped to my mind was that anyone could predict this, and quite possibily be right. It is not an outlandished guess - based on what scientists have been predicting, also our increasing eratic weather and global unheavals, and the increased fear factor.

Now, if the prophet were to speak specific words in stragegic timing, to the appropriate people, so that those at risk could take appropriate action at the appropriate time, then, the words would be helpful. ( BTW, I didn't get that thought directly from God - that's just my common sense)

I don't know the track record of this man, so I really am not in a position to add any more comments.

(Sorry, but I'm just a bit on edge about the "God-told-me's" because of the many times it seems to really mean: "I think" or "I want to think")

Adding an "if" in front of what we sense may be from God may express humility. After all, we can be wrong. And it leaves us open to further enlightenment.

But when you pronounce an "if" publically.... how helpful can that be? Better sit at the feet of Jesus for a while longer and learn from him.

Diane

2006/5/19 7:47Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

dorcas and Diane Wow! I have such a peace within over the words you wrote here and I really did not have a clue is to what kind of response I would get, but these words have at least given me some sight forward, well off to work now but I sincerely appreciate your time and may you have a Blessed day matter fact may everyone on earth today have a Blessed day in Jesus name.

2006/5/19 9:19Profile
Logic

Re:

For some one who is in the public eye and talking about future events that concern America, I think Pat should keep quiet if he can not say, "thus sayeth the Lord".

However, I do believe it is not bad for him to say, "if I herd the Lord right" about what he said concerning America in a private conversation with a muture brother in the Lord.

Pat is in the public eye and he is a voice for christians to the world. No true Prophet of God would open his mouth unless he had a [b]sure[/b] Word of the Lord.
Yet, I have know that God's judgments are always
redemptive. There must be a message that comes with the prophacy that brings people to repentance. Otherwise the prophacy is of no use and will only point to the prophet, and not to God.

2006/5/19 10:08Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro Bill
when i was talking about presenting the word back to God i meant if it was coming from someone else, sorry about the confusion there. Now i think that saying if at the beginning of such pronouncements when one is an infant prophet/messenger is not a bad thing, one is still learning the ropes and there is much double-mindedness and self to deal with. One is concerned with one's image in the eyes of men if the word isn't valid so it is a safety net. However When one grows closer to God and these issues are dealt with, one can speak boldly and say "thus saith the Lord" Of course not every pronouncement needs to begin thusly but the idea that the word is coming from heaven must be communicated. The Lord has brought me to a place where i am concerned with getting His word out so He is my boldness when He wants me to speak of things such as judgement, where we are wrong and need correcting (which are things i don't relish like i thought i would) So when the Lord has me say, " i heard this from heaven" then you know it's for real.

one doesn't speak the word of God boldly overnight, there is much mire and muck which must be removed and i know it to be a rather arduous process. continue to seek the Lord's counsel.

2006/5/19 12:11Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
should we not be more positive in the words we speak if it's from God?

I would say positive is honesty. If you are not sure don't lie to yourself or anyone else about it.

2006/5/19 12:41Profile

Stever's response to MrBillPro:

Pat Robertson has been baptized by the Holy Ghost and because of that he operates with the gifts of the Spirit.

What are the gifts of the Spirit?

1 Corinthians 12:8-11 :
• words of wisdom;
• words of knowledge;
• faith;
• healing;
• miracle-working;
• prophecy;
• distinguishing of spirits;
• tongues;
• interpretation of tongues

He has provided us with a prophecy of upcoming events on the weather. In ancient Israel when a Prophet gave a prophecy and it did not come true, he was stoned to death. Why? Because he was a false prophet. Today, if a man of God gives a prophecy of a future event that does not come true, then we know he is not a Spirit Filled Believer, and a fraud.

I have never found Pat Robertson to give a false prophecy, or a false word of knowledge yet, have you?

Pat speaks with boldness, and does not disqualify what he hears from the Spirit.

God bless,

Stever :-)

P.S. I pray that God would give me boldness.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quote:

MrBillPro wrote:
This post "is not" to blast Pat Robertson and this "is not" my intentions and I hope and Pray it can stay on the original topic I am asking because I need to know for personal reasons, is it ok to say "if" I heard the Lord right in our everyday walk as we discuss what God has spoken to us personally about something? or should we be more positive and say The Lord spoke to me today and told me this and leave out the "if". This could be awful confusing especially for the non-believer, should we not be more positive in the words we speak if it's from God?

Robertson said the revelations about this year's weather came to him during his annual personal prayer retreat in January.

"If I heard the Lord right about 2006, the coasts of America will be lashed by storms," Robertson said May 8. On Wednesday, he added, "There well may be something as bad as a tsunami in the Pacific Northwest."

2006/5/19 13:04

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy