SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The bible is NOT the Word of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

The bible is NOT the Word of God

The Bible is NOT the Word of God. Upon hearing this, some people will become upset and/or concerned. Some will accuse me of promoting lies, or having a spirit of the Anti-Christ. I do understand why some will say such things as the bible has been widely believed by the Church as being the Word of God, though it is not. Before I am judged in this matter, all I ask of you is to open your heart and mind. Please let me plead my case, for I am doing so for Christ. This is what my Lord has asked of me and I know it will not be well received.

There is a great danger that has presented itself through the establishment of this lie by saying the bible is the Word of God. This danger does not present itself in the Church, for actually it has been beneficial for the Church to promote such. By saying the bible is the Word of God, the Church has been able to push the authority of the bible. There is no doubt the bible has authority granted by the Lord, however, the question of authority is not being addressed in this letter. All authority belongs to Christ whether the bible is the Word of God or not. Christ is Lord.

The danger this lie presents is this: unbelievers (and possibly some believers) are unsuspectedly pushed into idolatry, specifically bible worship. Calling the bible the Word of God is the equivalent of saying the bible is God. For true believers, this does not pose a threat, as they have already accepted Christ as Lord. For the lost, for seekers of God, the bible itself can become a stumbling block. They may believe the bible is the Word of God, and accept it as though it were God Himself. As such, they will have an entire faith based upon the bible and not on Christ Himself. What a dangerous place for any person to enter.

We know God is good, and that He would not allow any true seeker to remain lost. Even so, I believe it is the responsibility of the Church to uphold the truth, which is Christ. And so, here is my plea and testimony as Christ has shown me to deliberate before the Church. The bible is not the Word of God. Rather, the bible is a vessel by which the Word of God can come. All scripture is a testimony of the Word of God, of Christ, our Savior and Lord.

This is key. The bible is not the Word. Christ is the Word. The bible is a bearer of the Word, that is, a means by which the Word can come to us. As such, it is no wonder Christians have long confused this truth. Since the bible is a vessel by which the Word may come to us, we often think it is the Word of God. We read the bible and feel awakened by the Word that comes to us. Because of this, we think the bible itself is the Word when truly, the bible was just the vessel used by the Word.

It is quite obvious to unbelievers who read the bible and do not encounter the Word, that the bible has no life. Rather, it seems to be a confusing book of fanciful tales. They often think Christians are quite insane to place so much stock in a book, but also wonder if they should not as well. The Churches treatment of the bible as the Word of God has supported many other false religions in believing they could find God in the bible, and rather than through Christ. I was once a part of one of these religions who worshipped the bible like a God, but denied Christ His Lordship. Let it be known to all, the bible is only a vessel. This vessel may be filled with Christ, or it may be emptied of Christ in accord with God's Will. The Lord Christ is the Word of God, and He may choose to come unto whomever He wishes. He may also be denied by whoever should deny Him.

As established above, scripture does have authority. This authority does not come from the writings alone, but from God who grants authority. Just as the apostles were given authority by Christ, so does scripture have authority that cannot be broken. This comes from above. However, this authority is not greater than Christ, and it certainly cannot be manipulated by any person or lawyer in order to justify any sin.

With the above said, I wish to explore this issue in the bible and plead my case to you in accord with the Will of the Lord. For the purpose of this discussion, I will use the New American Standard bible.

John 10:35
"If he called them gods, to whom the word of God came (and the Scripture cannot be broken),

Many people will be quick to point out that the word "scripture" and "word of God" are paralleled in this verse. However, there is another word included that many don't take into consideration that adds emphasis on a particular characteristic of scripture. It is this word "came." This word little word may seem insignificant, however, it is a theme carried throughout the entire bible. In over 98 verses, the phrase "the Word of the Lord came" appears in the New American Standard bible. This phrase appears over 93 times in the King James version. The Word does not just speak, it comes.

The word "came" suggests a personification of the Word of God, meaning that the Word of God is not just something that comes from God, the Word is a person. If God were speaking to a person directly, the bible would say, "The Lord said..." However, in these passages it says, "the Word of the Lord came saying," as though the Word was a person speaking.

This, of course, is not a new notion for Christians. The first chapter of the gospel of John establishes that the "Word became flesh." Jesus Christ is the Word of God. We know Jesus Christ is a person. The Lord comes to all Christians and saves them. Before Christ was born as a man on earth, He came to prophets in times past. These scriptures speak well of this. "The Word of the Lord came" which means Jesus came to old testament prophets. These prophets recorded what they heard and saw in what we now call the bible.

If you notice, the Lord comes to people speaking. He comes giving a message that is to be delivered. Only on a few rare occasions has God spoke Himself directly. These occasions are told about in the bible, but who can say, "God has spoke directly to me?" On many occasions, God sends a messenger, a human being or angel, to speak on His behalf. He gives them the words to say, and they speak His Word.

These prophets or apostles have experienced the Lord first hand. They have a real life experience with the Word of God. As it says, "The Word of the Lord came." The Word came to these people. They have encountered the Word of the Lord and have met His person. They have heard His command. They then have written this experience down in accord with God's Will. The Lord has chosen men and women who have abandoned themselves to Him, so that they will do exactly as He commands. As such, these writers have written as God has commanded them.

Even still, what was written, was not the Word of God, but rather a testimony of the Word. The Word of God is a person. A person can be written about, however, what we have is a story of the person. No person can never know another person unless he or she has experienced the person in reality. Reading a written document of someone does not mean you have actually met him in truth. For example, I may have read a great many books about Abraham Lincoln, but do I really know him? I cannot know Abraham unless I meet him in person. LIkewise, no person can know the Word of God just by reading about Him. They must meet the real person, Jesus Christ, in order to truly know Him in truth.

Each of the writers of scripture recorded a personal testimony of the Word of God. The Word came to them, and they wrote what they saw and heard. By this, the writer has become a vessel of the Word through which others can hear about the Word. The written text, scripture, is also a vessel by which this Word can come. Scripture is a written testimony of the Word.

The word "testimony" appears 107 times in the New American Standard bible and 75 times in the King James version of the bible. One key document spoken about in the bible is the ten commandments. This document is most unique of all documents as this document was written by the very hand of God. Of all the texts we have throughout history, none is like this. Every other time, there has been some human writer who wrote down the words. This one document, however, was written by the hand of God Himself.

Of all the writings we have, would you not think that the ten commandments would be called "The Word of God." Even with this document, the Lord calls it a testimony. There are many scriptures where the Lord refers to the ten commandments as a testimony. The following is one such:

Exodus 34:29
It came about when Moses was coming down from Mount Sinai (and the two tablets of the testimony {were} in Moses' hand as he was coming down from the mountain), that Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because of his speaking with Him.

The stone tablets that Moses held in His hand were called a "testimony." The tablets were stone. The commandments written on the tablets have no power or authority apart from God who wrote them. As such, they were called a testimony because they testified to God. They spoke of the nature and person of God.

The commandments, not the words or tablets, are the Word of the Lord. They cannot be broken. No person can change the Word of the Lord. The Word of the Lord was recorded on the tablets as a testimony. As such, the tablets are a vessel by which the Word of the Lord can come. The tablets are a testimony. The commandments are the Word. As shown above, the Word of God is a person. These commandments tell of the person of God. They are the person of God. God is Holy, and this is made manifest in His Word.

This concept may be a difficult one to grasp because it is a bit abstract. The best way I can describe it is like this. Let us say you were commissioned by God to preach the Word of God. The Lord commanded you to go out and send a warning. You are the vessel God has chosen to deliver His Word. The Lord has come to you, and put His Word on your tongue. You then go out and preach to the nations. You are preaching the Word of the Lord as it was given unto you telling it exactly as you heard and saw. Does this mean you are the Word? No, you are not the Word. You are merely a vessel that the Lord is using. Is your words the very words of God? No, they are your words. The words you speak are a testimony of the Lord's Word. You are telling what you saw and heard. However, within this testimony, within you, is the Word of the Lord. And so, it will proceed forth from you. The Word of the Lord will either be accepted or rejected. If it is accepted, then the Word of the Lord will have power over the person who accepts it. The Word will be alive in that person.

The same is true of the bible. The bible is a vessel by which the Word of the Lord may come through. The bible is a testimony of the Word. Through this testimony, a person may come to accept the Word. When this happens, the Word of God enters into that person. As such, the Word is in them, and the bible then becomes affirmed. The bible becomes true for a person, when truth Himself enters into that person.

2 Samuel 23:2
The Spirit of the LORD spoke by me, And His word was on my tongue.

As such, based upon this, we can see the words of Paul made true. Scripture is inspired of God. Scripture is God-breathed. Scripture is the testimony of the Word as given by the Lord. As such, Jesus is spoke about in the bible, but Jesus is not actually in the bible. The bible is inspired of God, having come from God through men, however, the bible is not God. Jesus Christ, the Word, is God. We worship Jesus. The words of Jesus are the words of God. Jesus is the Son of God.

Revelation 19:10
Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, "Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."

We do not worship the bible, or seek to obey the bible in and of itself. The bible is a written testimony of Jesus, written by our fellow brethren. We seek to obey the Word of the Lord. We seek to obey Christ. We worship God by keeping His commandments in our heart. We worship God by keeping Christ in our heart. With Christ inside of us, we are a vessel by which the Word can come. We are a living testimony of Christ.

However, there are people who think that the bible is the Word of God. They seek to obey the bible in order to worship God. They seek to obey the bible as the Word of God. This is a dangerous proposition. The bible is not the Word of God. The bible is the testimony to the Word. The bible should lead us to Jesus, in order that we may be saved by Christ. The bible should not be our salvation. Christ is our salvation, and Christ is our Lord.

I am deeply concerned about this matter. More and more I am seeing signs and billboards promoting this lie. More and more Churches are pushing people toward the bible rather than toward Christ. I have seen billboards and signs that hold the bible in higher esteem than Christ.

I am also concerned for the Church who in many cases is placing more faith in the bible than in Christ. Indeed, the bible was given to us as a guide. The bible is good for testing and edification. The bible affirms our faith.

However, each believer should have a personal testimony of Christ. The entire Church should be able to share these testimonies and be strengthened in unity by them. There is one testimony of Christ as given by the Holy Spirit through all believers. The bible is a collection of testimonies, and we can compare and contrast this with each of our own. We can use the bible to test and see if they agree because we know God is not an author of lies or conflict.

However, the bible is not our only source of testing. We are a body of believers who need each other. We have replaced a proper relationship with one another with a deep reliance on the scripture. We have replaced Christ in us, with Christ in the bible.

I am concerned for seekers. I am concerned they will not see Christ in us, because we push them toward the bible. I am concerned they will not find body of Christ in the world, because we force the bible upon them. The Church is the body of Christ on earth. We need to step up and speak the Word of God and obey our Lord Christ in word and action.

I pray for all of you my brothers and sisters to consider this message I am sharing with you. Please do not discard this message without prayer and consideration. The Lord has given me this testimony to share with you that we may draw nearer to Christ.

I submit this to you in love and in Christ.

May Christ be our Lord and may His Kingdom reign,

Blake

2006/5/18 17:02Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: The bible is NOT the Word of God

What kind of cereal did you eat this morning?

:-P :-?

2006/5/18 18:50Profile
SeanHobson

Cleveland, OH

Re:

Haha...

Joh 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Dear Brother,

As the Lord liveth I truly appreciate you spending so much of thy God given time to, out of love I presume, share your advice in this matter. I regret that I do not an equal amount of time to sacrifice to give you a sufficient response-- but what little I do have I offer you. I say this most humbly brother, but your title is a little miss-leading. There is no argument that can be stated to say that the bible is not God's word. I believe what you were intending was that the bible is not our manifested Christ--true--when I die there won't be a burgundy KJV sitting on the great white throne commanding me to give an account of my life. However, Christ IS the bible. To say that he is not would be to contradict when our Lord said before the religious people in his day "this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing". No doubt this topic is an interesting play on words, but let us not focus on the order of words dear brother, but the order of concepts. When the Holy Ghost spake by peter saying "Holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost." The Bible is infallible, inerrant, and I argue it is the only perfect thing in this fallen world :) But I get your point, it is NOT God per say, as in the physical. But it is God word for word, and every word you read from cover to cover is Christ. He is the word, He speaks the Word, and he preserves the word. So Dear brother I completely heartily agree with you when you said we should not worship the bible, --of course! Why worship the command when we can worship the commander? You are wise indeed to bless us, thy family members, with such profitable advice. However, couldn't we say brother that we would not know how to worship God lest his word instructed us? I know nothing printed is of the godhead, but I also hath read "the letter killeth", and it is God himself that quickens what I read. Again, thank you for such a knowledgeable post, I pray it helps whom our Lord sees good to teach.
May we Grow in grace together in Christ....

;-) ;-)

2006/5/18 21:40Profile
W_D_J_D

Re:

all scripture is Godbreathed.....

Jesus is the word.

we do not worship the book made by hands....but rather we worhip the One who gave us the word.

people can make the church building into and idol..so shall we knock down all church's? people make the pulpit into an idol shall we knock down all pulpits???

surely not.....i did not read your enitire post...and i did not want to i have read nonsense before but that is like icing on the cake.....

ciao

2006/5/18 21:55Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Actually it is the "Inspired" Word of God and I am running with that.All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Timothy 3:16)

2006/5/18 22:09Profile

Re:His inspired Word, it is Spirit Breathed!

beenblake posted:
The Bible is NOT the Word of God. Upon hearing this, some people will become upset and/or concerned. Some will accuse me of promoting lies, or having a spirit of the Anti-Christ. I do understand why some will say such things as the bible has been widely believed by the Church as being the Word of God, though it is not. Before I am judged in this matter, all I ask of you is to open your heart and mind. Please let me plead my case, for I am doing so for Christ. This is what my Lord has asked of me and I know it will not be well received. "
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stever responds:

To say the least, it is not well received at all. If I were you I would sincerely "test the Spirit" that has told you to do this.It surely cannot be from God.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
This definition, found in Easton’s Bible Dictionary clarifies the situation for me. At one time, before I was saved, I had read the Bible through 5 times, and it was a very interesting Book to me. After I was saved, I studied the Bible, book by book, and found a blueprint for living my life. Still later, when I became Spirit Filled by receiving the Baptism of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands, THE BIBLE CAME ALIVE TO ME. The Holy Spirit has that effect on believers. Non-believers read it all the time, and get nothing out of it.

Topics: The Bible

Heb. 4:12, etc.: The Bible so called because the writers of its several books were God's organs in communicating his will to men. It is his "word," because he speaks to us in its sacred pages. Whatever the inspired writers here declare to be true and binding upon us, God declares to be true and binding. This word is infallible, because written under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, and therefore free from all error of fact or doctrine or precept. All saving knowledge is obtained from the word of God. In the case of adults it is an indispensable means of salvation, and is efficacious thereunto by the gracious influence of the Holy Spirit (John 17:17; 2 Tim. 3:15, 16; 1 Pet. 1:23).

Topics: Inspiration

Text: that extraordinary or supernatural divine influence vouchsafed to those who wrote the Holy Scriptures, rendering their writings infallible.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God" (R.V., "Every scripture inspired of God"), 2 Tim. 3:16. This is true of all the "sacred writings," not in the sense of their being works of genius or of supernatural insight, but as "theopneustic," i.e., "breathed into by God" in such a sense that the writers were supernaturally guided to express exactly what God intended them to express as a revelation of his mind and will.

The testimony of the sacred writers themselves abundantly demonstrates this truth; and if they are infallible as teachers of doctrine, then the doctrine of plenary inspiration must be accepted. There are no errors in the Bible as it came from God none have been proved to exist. Difficulties and phenomena we cannot explain are not errors. All these books of the Old and New Testaments are inspired. We do not say that they contain, but that they are, the Word of God.

The gift of inspiration rendered the writers the organs of God, for the infallible communication of his mind and will, in the very manner and words in which it was originally given. As to the nature of inspiration we have no information. This only we know, it rendered the writers infallible. They were all equally inspired, and are all equally infallible. The inspiration of the sacred writers did not change their characters. They retained all their individual peculiarities as thinkers or writers.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I really don’t know much about your personal beliefs, but the Bible is the only way to test what the Spirit tells us. The Spirit that speaks to us can be the Holy Spirit, our flesh, or Satan and or one of his demons.

The Church today, engulfed with all of the newer versions, is lost in regards to sound Doctrine and is more focused on feelings than truth. The Truth can be found in God’s Word, the King James Bible. Christ is indeed the Word, but the Bible is His inspired Word, it is Spirit Breathed, and declares the truth of who and what He really is. Without it, the false Church will follow the false Prophet into the Tribulation, and into perdition.

xxxxxxxx

God bless,

Stever

2006/5/18 23:22
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro Stever
i think bro blake is referring to how Jesus Christ is the Word of God (with the capital W) while the bible is the word of God (small w) and the 2 are different. i don't think bro blake doubts that the bible is the word of God.

2006/5/19 0:24Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: The Bible, the Word of God

[i] Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.[/i]Joh 5:39

Seem to recall we have traveled this road before Blake. What it boils down to is this is not necessary and I wonder if you have considered what manner of confusion you can be adding by this. You wouldn't have even the first understanding of what you are attempting to begin to say without the scriptures.

Fully realizing what in part you are trying to state it only will amount to circular reasoning in this manner. If you look at, this is circular reasoning that you are doing. If one is reading, studying, absorbing and becoming that which is written in the Bible (The scriptures), is regenerated by the Holy Spirit and taught by the same Holy Spirit, that person would not be worshiping a book, but the God and Savior expressed through it and in it.

It [i]is[/i] the Word of God, much more than a binding and wood pulp.

[b]Joh 5:39 -
Search the scriptures[/b] - The word translated “search” here means to “search diligently” or “search anxiously.” It was applied to miners, who search for precious metals - who look anxiously for the “bed” of the ore with an intensity or anxiety proportionate to “their sense” of the value of the metal. Compare the notes at Job_28:3. It is applied by Homer to a lioness robbed of her whelps, and who “searches” the plain to “trace out” the footsteps of the man who has robbed her. It is also applied by him to dogs tracing their game by searching them out by the scent of the foot. It means a diligent, faithful, anxious investigation The word may be either in the indicative or imperative mood. In our translation it is in the imperative, as if Jesus commanded them to search the Scriptures. Cyril, Erasmus, Beza, Bengel, Kuinoel, Tholuck, DeWette, and others, give it as in the indicative: Chrysostom, Augustine, Luther, Calvin, Wetstein, Stier, Alford, and others, regard it as in the imperative, or as a command. It is impossible to determine which is the true interpretation. Either of them makes good sense, and it is proper to use the passage in either signification. There is abundant evidence that the Jews did search the books of the Old Testament. It is equally clear that all people ought to do it.

[b]The scriptures[/b] - The writings or books of the Old Testament, for those were all the books of revelation that they then possessed.
In them ye think ye have eternal life - The meaning of this is: “Ye think that by studying the Scriptures you will obtain eternal life. You suppose that they teach the way to future blessedness, and that by diligently studying them you will attain it.” We see by this:

1. That the Jews in the time of Jesus were expecting a future state.

2. The Scriptures teach the way of life, and it is our duty to study them.

The Bereans are commended for searching the Scriptures Act_17:11; and Timothy is said from a child to have “known the holy scriptures, which are able to make us wise unto salvation,” 2Ti_3:15. Early life is the proper time to search the Bible, for they who seek the Lord early shall find him.

[b]They are they[/b] ... - They bear witness to the Messiah. They predict his coming, and the manner of his life and death, Isa_53:1-12; Dan_9:26-27, etc. See the notes at Luk_24:27.

Albert Barnes

Quote:
However, there are people who think that the bible is the Word of God. They seek to obey the bible in order to worship God. They seek to obey the bible as the Word of God. This is a dangerous proposition. The bible is not the Word of God. The bible is the testimony to the Word. The bible should lead us to Jesus, in order that we may be saved by Christ. The bible should not be our salvation. Christ is our salvation, and Christ is our Lord.

[i]These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.[/i] Act 17:11

Quote:
I am deeply concerned about this matter. More and more I am seeing signs and billboards promoting this lie. More and more Churches are pushing people toward the bible rather than toward Christ. I have seen billboards and signs that hold the bible in higher esteem than Christ.

To call it a "lie" is something you might want to reconsider, this is really a matter of perception and I think you are creating one where it doesn't exist. To say this does not happen, a higher and misapplied esteem for the "Bible" in itself as a means to an end, as a purely historical or scholarly piece of material to dissect and interpret at mans will and a thousand other heretical conjectures, there is no dispute there. But the way you are attempting this is to devalue the scriptures themselves even if you are trying to draw greater attention to the the Lord, [i][b]they are they which testify of me[/b][/i].

Have you ever done a thorough study of how the scriptures came together, the painstaking, exacting process of how the Old Testament was written, the history behind what we are so blessed to hold in our hands, the lives given and martyred so that you and I can even begin to postulate such thoughts? It's not meant to be pointed brother, but I believe you are greater misrepresenting that which you do not fully understand.

2006/5/19 0:52Profile

Re:

Oh boy... so much ignornace, so little time.

Mike, good response by the way.

Krispy

2006/5/19 7:57
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Gods Word

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.
Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
Luk 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?
Luk 4:23 And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself: whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.
Luk 4:24 And he said, Verily I say unto you, No prophet is accepted in his own country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joh 13:18 I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled, He that eateth bread with me hath lifted up his heel against me.

Joh 19:28 After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

2Ti 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
2Ti 3:14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;
2Ti 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

(notice what precedes and includes in that context)

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

93 instances of "[i]It is written[/i]"

Mat 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Unnecessary to list them all. The Lord Himself appealed, refered and in the ultimate sense is the Word made flesh, that is not in dispute.

Rom 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[i]For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.[/i] Heb 4:12,13

It is right here Blake where I would wish to concentrate and give you your due where not all is misunderstood. Even the proponents of the KJV "only" have to wrestle with the cutting aspect of the substance of this exacting passage. Not to single them out alone, there is a plethora of what is noted just here abroad in this day;

2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

The cults, the legalist, the prosperity seeker, the proud in the heart, the high minded, the Pharisee, the conspiracy minded, fault finding mind, on and on it could go, even the very Devil himself [i][b]using[/b][/i] scripture, abusing scripture ...

But not coming under it, not submitting to it's cutting and dividing of the very substance of what we are. There is a certain ultimatum expressed in that passage that could be said to be all inclusive and if there is anything that it is to be boiled down into just one word ...

Honesty

That is requirement throughout scripture. Have been giving much thought of late to just this as it always comes full circle back to it. Reading of the "Law" straight on through, even before there were [i]law's[/i] (plural) this law has been in place. David in the Psalms spoke of it constantly and seemed to have in mind a variety of expression to state the same thing;

Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

Psa 19:8 The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
Psa 19:9 The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
Psa 19:10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.
Psa 19:11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.
Psa 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
Psa 19:13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.
Psa 19:14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Psa 37:31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

Psa 40:8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law is within my heart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Psa 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

[b]And in his law[/b] - On his law, or his truth. “He doth meditate.” The word used here, הגה hâgâh, means properly to complain, to mutter; then, to speak; then, to utter in a low complaining voice, as is often done by a person in deep meditation; hence, in the usual sense, to meditate on anything; to think of it. So Jos_1:8 : “Thou shalt meditate therein (the law) day and night.” Psa_77:12 : “I meditate on all thy work.” Pro_15:28 : “the heart of the righteous meditateth what to answer.” The meaning here is, he thinks of it; he endeavors to understand its meaning; he has pleasure in reflecting on it. It is not a subject which he puts away from him, or in respect to which he is indifferent, but he keeps it before his mind, and has satisfaction in doing it.

[b]Day and night[/b] - That is, continually - as day and night constitute the whole of time. The meaning is:

(a) he does this habitually, or he intentionally forms the habit of meditating on divine truth, by disciplining his mind in order that he may do it;

(b) he takes time to do it - designedly setting apart suitable portions of each day, that, withdrawn from the cares of life, he may refresh his spirit by contemplating divine truth, or may become better acquainted with God, and with his duty to him, and may bring to bear upon his own soul more directly the truths pertaining to eternal realities;

(c) he does this in the intervals of business, the moments of leisure which he may have during the day - having thus an unfailing subject of reflection to which his mind readily reverts, and in which, amid the cares and toils of life, he finds relaxation and comfort; and

(d) he does it in the wakeful hours of night, when sick and tossed upon his bed, or when, for any other reason, his “eyes are held waking.” Psa_63:5-6 : “my soul shall be upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night-watches.” Psa_119:54 : “Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.” Compare Psa_119:23, Psa_119:43; Psa_143:5. It is probable that the psalmist had the injunction in his mind which is contained in Jos_1:8.

Albert Barnes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Apologize for the length here, these are excerpts out of something that has been coming together in just recognizing what this [i]One Law[/i] is, in principle if you may. A earlier example from the Book of Job;

Job 22:22 Receive, I pray thee, the law from his mouth, and lay up his words in thine heart.

[b]Job 22:22 - Receive, I pray thee, the law from his mouth[/b],.... Not the law of Moses; for it is a question whether that was as yet, or could come to the knowledge of Job; rather any doctrine, as the word signifies, any revelation of the mind and will of God, made unto the patriarchs in former times, and which was handed down from one to another, and was to be received as coming from the mouth of God, not as the word of man, but as the word of God; and as such to be received with meekness and reverence, with readiness, cheerfulness, and gladness; and not only to be attended to but obeyed:

[b]and lay up his words in thine heart:[/b] as a rich treasure, very valuable, and preferable to gold, silver, and precious stones, laid up in chests and cabinets because of their value, and that they might not be lost, but be preserved safe and sure, and that they might be come at, and made use of on proper occasions; as the words of God and doctrines of the Scriptures may be, against the temptations of Satan, the lusts of the flesh, and for the instruction of ourselves and others; and therefore should be retained in our minds, hid in our hearts, and dwell richly in us; and, unless they are in the heart, and have a place there, they will be of little avail to have them in the head or on the tongue; but if they come with power into the heart, and have a place there, they work effectually, and influence the life and conversation: these Job had, and had a great value for them; see Job_6:10.

John Gill

Keeping all this in mind and in heart, this matter of honesty and appealing back to the passage in Hebrew's the question raised in my mind is what doesn't fit under it?

What is repentance but a turning back to this.
What is correction and our rebelling against it
but a lack thereof?
What is sin but dishonesty ... ultimately.
What is meant by [i]In spirit and in truth[/i]?

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him [b]must[/b] worship him in spirit and in truth.

We tend to close our ears to that which we prefer not to deal with, run off on tangents to peripheral matters to busy ourselves away from dealing with heart cuttings, over expound on areas of personal preference and a whole host of things that can be nothing more than distractions at times.

I have gone on long enough here. The facts are that the opposite of what you Blake have stated here is the need of the day. Christianity has become by and large a commodity to be bought and sold, crafted to taste, applied at will (of man) and to buttress you underlying sentiment, yes abused and worshiped for all the wrong reasons in many instances, but let that fault be applied where it belongs on mere men who refuse to become honest in heart, not because the [i]"Bible is not the Word of God"[/i]. The fact remains that it is because of the Biblical illiteracy rate is not only high in understanding of the mind but a lack of humility and soberness as it is approached prayerfully and reverently in the very core of our being.

The Word of God, [i]is[/i].

2006/5/19 10:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy