SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What does the bible say about Hell?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

What does the bible say about Hell?

I have forever believed,and still do, that hell is a place of eternal torment and "gnashing of teeth". I came across this website and I spent many hours reading what it had to say. I even went to scripture to validate some of its content. Here is the link http://www.geocities.com/liveprayer24/ofhell.html

I know there are some other articles on it, but if anybody could read this and see if what this guy says is true or just plain fiction,Id love to hear anyones take on it.

Thanks
John

2006/5/16 21:43Profile

Re: What does the bible say about Hell?

Quote:
So how does eternal fire get confused with Hell? As I hinted before, it is due mainly to one single mistranslated word. That word is Gehenna (Strong's # 1067). Gehenna is the only word used in reference to eternal fire. Every single time that Yahshua spoke of "hellfire" or eternal fire, the word used is Gehenna.

Didnt read the whole site, but Ive seen the same arguments 1000 times.
Arguing that the word hades doesnt mean fire is irrelevant.

What matters is the DESCRIPTION of this place given by the one man who would know what it was like...Jesus Christ...God Himself.

Its just basically being ignorant to say that 'hades' or sheol or any other word doesnt mean fire or isnt associated with fire, when Jesus gives such a vivid description of that horrible place...

===============
"And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go [b]into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched[/b]:
Where their worm dieth not, and [b]the fire is not quenched.[/b]

And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast [b]into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched[/b]:
Where their worm dieth not, and [b]the fire is not quenched[/b].

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into [b]hell fire[/b]: Where their worm dieth not, and the [b]fire is not quenched[/b].
(Mar 9:43-48)
==========

Ive seen these arguments dismissing what hell is like using single word definitions instead of accepting the WHOLE context of hell and the lake of fire given in scripture.

Hell, lake of fire, whatever place it is and whatever its called, our Lords words make it clear this place is unpleasant and to be avoided.

2006/5/16 22:04

Re:

Upon reading more of the site, I think the author may have been arguing something different than what I first thought..

2006/5/16 22:06
Jimotheus

Greetings:

The Bible has a lot to say about Hell. In fact, there is no other source of truth concerning the afterlife and where men and women are going to spend eternity. The Bible is the only source I say because it is the word of God. It should be instructive to know that God in the flesh preached much on the subject of Hellfire. I would think that ministers would take their que from the Lord Jesus Christ and the apostles. Luke chapter sixteen says of Hell that it is a place of fire and torment. Even though Hell is more horrible than we can put into words, the Lake of fire and brimstone is far worse. The present [i]Hell[/i] is only a temporary place for the wicked when they die. But after the Great White Throne judgment, they will be cast into the Lake which burns with fire and brimstone. This is called, [i]the second death[/i]. This is the place where Jesus said their worm shall not die, nor shall their fire be quenched. The most mind-bending part about the Lake of fire is that it is forever. This has to be the most terrible reality that most of humanity is in danger of. Every preacher needs to hear in his innermost being the cries of the damned.

2009/7/25 17:55Profile
rbanks

Re:

And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire: Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
(Mar 9:43-48)

I was reading these scriptures a while back and I thought about how horrible hell really is and also how much Jesus tried to warn us of eternal fire. He said it would be better to have your hand, foot cut off, and our eye plucked out, and to be without these things than to go to that awful place of eternal fire. The eye would be representing what one would be lusting after. The hand would be representing the evil one does. The feet would be representing the evil one goes to do. I thought Lord if we did cut off our limbs and pluck out our eyes even that wouldn’t create in us a clean heart neither would it cause us to be born again.

Then a wonderful thought came to me, that this is exactly what Jesus did for me when he was crucified, he did more than just a few limbs. He cut the whole sin nature completely off by being crucified in our place. What love Jesus has for us in that He was crucified in our place so that we could be crucified in Him and be made a whole new creation in Christ. Our wonderful Savior Jesus Christ doesn’t put any demands on us that he doesn’t fulfill them for us so that he can make it real in us if only we would totally and continually believe in Him.

Praise his name forever!

2009/7/25 19:45Profile

Hello, John (Jamccor):

The link you posted is totally wrong. The reason? It relies on the newer Bible Versions. The King James is very clear about Hell, where the unsaved dead await the Great White Throne Judgment. Also, Jesus Christ should be the one trusted on this issue. He is the Creator God who spoke everything into existence out of nothing, and undoubtedly the creator of Hell, as well as the Lake of Fire (created initially for Satan and his fallen angels)

[b]Jesus Christ will[u] baptize all people. Those that accept Him, and receive him are saved and receive their Baptism with the Holy Ghost[/u]—a Spiritual Baptism. [u]Those that are lost will receive their baptism with[/b] [color=990000][b]fire[/color][/b][/u]—[b]Hell to begin with (until the Great White Throne Judgment), and then the Lake of Fire for eternity.[/b]

(Matthew 3:11-12)
[color=990000][b]11. I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he (Messiah, Jesus Christ) shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:
12. Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner; but he will burn up the chaff with[u] unquenchable fire.[/u][/color][/b]]

[b][color=0000CC]If hell was not real, then Christ’s sacrifice of Himself would be trivial, and of no effect.[/color][/b]

At the great White Throne Judgment, all of the souls will be judged by their own works, in comparison to the Standard, the Bible and all of their work will prove valueless.
The lost will receive resurrected bodies, that will be cast into the lake of fire, and will be tormented forever & ever:

(Mark 9:43-44)
43. And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

(Mark 9:45-50)
45. And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

47. And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:
48. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
49. For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt.
50. Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

However, the deceased Christian believers soul does not go to hell, but straight to heaven, to wait for the rapture, where they will receive their new glorified bodies like that of Jesus Christ:

(2 Cor 5:8)
8. We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

Sincerely,

Walter

Quote:

jamccor wrote:
I have forever believed,and still do, that hell is a place of eternal torment and "gnashing of teeth". I came across this website and I spent many hours reading what it had to say. I even went to scripture to validate some of its content. Here is the link http://www.geocities.com/liveprayer24/ofhell.html

I know there are some other articles on it, but if anybody could read this and see if what this guy says is true or just plain fiction,Id love to hear anyones take on it.

Thanks
John

2009/7/25 20:30

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy