SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Article: Walking With God

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Article: Walking With God

[b]Walking with God[/b]
[i]By Jesse Morrell[/i]

“Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, because God took him away.” Genesis 5:24

Never has there been more said about a man then this one single sentence. There have been great men of history who have thousands of pages of biography written in volume sets about their unmatched achievements, yet none of them say nearly as much as this simple verse about the man Enoch.

If great men such as Caesar with his mighty empire, Michelangelo with his angelic paintings, Shakespeare with his master-piece plays, Beethoven with his splendid symphonies, failed to walk with God, their lives appear as lives well wasted when compared to the greatness of walking with God. Glorious lives appear as tragic lives when measured by this true test of greatness. Some of the men that the earth praises for their genius the Heavens frown upon for their foolishness.

If the verse said, “Enoch conquered the entire world” or “Enoch had more riches and more wisdom then any other man” it would drastically pale in comparison to the magnificent fact that “Enoch walked with God”.

In all of life there is nothing greater then the Almighty God. Therefore can there be anything greater that man can do then to walk and live with his God? Men seek after power, privilege, pleasure, and possessions, yet the vanity of all these things, even combined all at once, is manifested when one comes to an understanding of the greatness of God.

When a man comes to understand the greatness and worth of God he will decide that all else is dung compared to knowing Him and walking with Him. (Philippians 3:8). When a man comes to understand the greatness and worth of God he will leave all to follow after Him. (Matthew 4:19-20). When a man comes to understand the greatness and worth of God he would sell all that he had if it meant gaining Him. (Matthew 13:46). When a man comes to understand the greatness and worth of God he would be willing to not only deny himself every day, but would be willing even to die on a cross the most painful death of crucifixion rather then to live a life apart from Him. (Mark 8:34). Since there is nothing and no one greater then God, why seek after anything or anyone more then you seek after God?

The greatest blessing from the Lord is the blessing of the Lord. When a man comes to realize this reality of God, seeing Him in the truth of His wonder and worth, he will desire no richer portion or cry out for any finer inheritance then the Lord Himself. (Psalms 16:5). For such a man there is no higher Heaven then the presence of God and no deeper hell then the absence of God.

A life lived apart from God is a life lived in death and darkness. But a life lived in the presence of God far exceeds a life anywhere else. We sing in Church that one day in God’s courts is better then a thousand else where. But if we lived the way that we sing how marvelously different our lives would be.

Sin eternally separates men from God. So to be with God men must separate themselves from sin. “Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? Or who shall stand in his holy place? He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully”. (Psalms 24:3-4). Though sin separates man from God eternally, self can separate man from God temporally. A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands is the mark of a man who will live a life of poverty, both physically and spiritually.

In the life that God has given us, we all have the same amount of hours in a day. In all that God has given us, how much of it do we give back to Him? Christian, how much of your life is spent, not on sin, but on self? Family entertainment has replaced the family alter. Silliness has replaced study. Personal pleasure has replaced personal prayer. Careless downtime has replaced Christian devotional time. How much of your life is structured to serve yourself rather then to serve and be intimate with God?

In all that there is, there is nothing greater then God. What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world yet is never intimate with the Lord? Examine your life. Examine your habits. Examine your desires. “Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” (Colossians 3:2). If you set your affections on earthly things you will live an earthly life. If you set your affections on heavenly things you will live a heavenly life.

When you are old and dying reflecting back on the years you have lived, will your memories be haunted with idle play and wasted time or will your memories be blessed with deep, passionate, intimacy with God?

2006/5/7 22:04
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

Re: Article: Walking With God

Thanks for sharing, Bro. Jesse! This is a good word.

2006/5/10 9:13Profile

Quote:
When you are old and dying reflecting back on the years you have lived, will your memories be haunted with idle play and wasted time or will your memories be blessed with deep, passionate, intimacy with God?

Hmmm, this is good. Thanks for sharing this article. I was blessed reading it.

2006/5/10 18:55
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Yes, this is a wonderful message. Thanks for sharing Jesse.

2006/5/11 9:38Profile
myfirstLove

yes, very beautiful and encouraging article.

"The greatest blessing from the Lord is the blessing of the Lord. When a man comes to realize this reality of God, seeing Him in the truth of His wonder and worth, he will desire no richer portion or cry out for any finer inheritance then the Lord Himself. (Psalms 16:5). For such a man there is no higher Heaven then the presence of God and no deeper hell then the absence of God."

Genesis 15:1

1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, YOUR EXCEEDINGLY GREAT REWARD.”

2006/5/11 10:25Profile

Re:

Quote:
Genesis 15:1

1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, YOUR EXCEEDINGLY GREAT REWARD.”

Amen. That's right. Nothing is greater then God. Without God heaven itself would be like hell to the Christian.

2006/5/11 17:23

Re:

Quote:
“And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the LORD appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect." Genesis 17:1

The verse from Genesis and the article made me think of this verse in Genesis. I love it how God first tells Abram what His Name is, Almighty God or El Shaddai, which means the all-sufficient One. Then God tells Abram to walk before Him and be perfect.
The command to ‘be perfect’ was a struggle for me until I saw this verse and tied it together with the meaning of God’s holy Name. How can we ever be perfect and walk with God? But here is the answer, God is the all-sufficient One. He will help us to walk before Him and be perfect.

It makes me think of 2 Corinthians 12:9-10, “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”

2006/5/11 18:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy