SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Liberty and the Standards of Jesus -Chambers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Liberty and the Standards of Jesus -Chambers

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/myutmost.gif[/img]

Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free . . . —Galatians 5:1

A spiritually-minded person will never come to you with the demand— "Believe this and that"; a spiritually-minded person will demand that you align your life with the standards of Jesus. We are not asked to believe the Bible, but to believe the One whom the Bible reveals (see John 5:39-40 ). We are called to present liberty for the conscience of others, not to bring them liberty for their thoughts and opinions. And if we ourselves are free with the liberty of Christ, others will be brought into that same liberty— the liberty that comes from realizing the absolute control and authority of Jesus Christ.

Always measure your life solely by the standards of Jesus. Submit yourself to His yoke, and His alone; and always be careful never to place a yoke on others that is not of Jesus Christ. It takes God a long time to get us to stop thinking that unless everyone sees things exactly as we do, they must be wrong. That is never God’s view. There is only one true liberty— the liberty of Jesus at work in our conscience enabling us to do what is right.

Don’t get impatient with others. Remember how God dealt with you— with patience and with gentleness. But never water down the truth of God. Let it have its way and never apologize for it. Jesus said, "Go . . . and make disciples. . ." ( Matthew 28:19 ), not, "Make converts to your own thoughts and opinions."

more info: http://www.rbc.org/utmost/index.php

2006/5/6 13:05Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Liberty and the Standards of Jesus -Chambers

Quote:
Don’t get impatient with others. Remember how God dealt with you— with patience and with gentleness. But never water down the truth of God. Let it have its way and never apologize for it. Jesus said, "Go . . . and make disciples. . ." ( Matthew 28:19 ), not, "Make converts to your own thoughts and opinions."

Amen.

2006/5/6 14:07Profile
roadsign

Re: passivity or dependence on the Lord

I just happened to click on a pop-up photo of Even Roberts and the caption caught my attention. So I am posting it here because it mentions liberty - the loss of it, that is. Roberts is referring to the massive trend towards the passivity of the mind that sabatoged the Welsh Revival:

People say of things within the range of reason, and which have no need of spiritual guidance: “I have no liberty, I am waiting instructions.” Why do they not reason the thing out and decide? Because they are in bondage in regard to action.

When people are in this state of bondage, there is unreasonable inaction and bondage of action about them. When you suggest action they are in bonds; when they should be speaking they are quiet; when they should be silent they are talking.
And they give to all this state a Divine significance, whereas it has nothing but a Satanic significance.

Dependence on the Lord is important. So is waiting on the Lord, and following his will. But how can this good discipline turn into a bondage of passivity?

O C said:
There is only one true liberty — the liberty of Jesus at work in our conscience enabling us to do what is right.

... the liberty that comes from realizing the absolute control and authority of Jesus Christ.

enabling us to do what is right, having absolute control and authority..... yet we are not passive agents of God's will.

How can that be?

..something to think about...

Diane

2006/5/6 21:15Profile

Quote:
We are not asked to believe the Bible, but to believe the One whom the Bible reveals (see John 5:39-40 ).

Some of us accept this point, but, it makes others nervous. Without doubt, faith is required ... like that mentioned by Jesus, here:

John 20:29
Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed [are] they that have not seen, and [yet] have believed.

2006/5/7 13:39
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
We are not asked to believe the Bible, but to believe the One whom the Bible reveals (see John 5:39-40 ).

Which means we would believe the Bible.

2006/5/7 23:57Profile

Quote:
Which means we would believe the Bible.

Absolutely. Glad you imply a request for clarification on this point.

My experience is that the Bible is capable, in the hands of the Holy Spirit, of speaking beyond the written page, very much revealing Christ, as He said:

John 5
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

2006/5/8 6:19
makrothumia

Texas

Re:

We have walked a fine line of experiencing the wonderful liberty of Christ, and like the Galatians became focused on the doing, instead of the One whom inspired the heart to do. In our own lives, impatience with others has indicated our own lack, and I'm thankful for Oswald Chambers expression of this...it brings back memories of roads we have walk before, and fills my heart with thanksgiving at the Fathers great ability to deal with the hearts of men...

2006/5/9 6:36Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:

Which means we [u]would believe the Bible[/u].

Exactly.

2006/5/9 7:23Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy