SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Can Salvation be lost?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
jamccor

New Jersey

Can Salvation be lost?

Hi
I just joined a calvary assembly of GOD curch las month. I was baptized in water(although I have been saved since 1993).As I am getting to know more about Pentacostals,I have been doing some researching and came across something on the internet which said that some pentacostal churches believe you can lose your salvation. Now I believe that once your name is written in the Book of Life, thats it! But my pastors wife emailed me to look at II Peter 2:20-22.It seems to suggest that salavation CAN be lost.Does anyone have any info on this.
Thanks!
John

2006/5/4 11:37Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re: Can Salvation be lost?

Hi,

You might have just started a thread that will have a million responses, so before everyone goes all out, I will just give you Chuck Smith's feelings on this. He said that as long as you abide in christ, you are eternally saved.

Galatians 5:18-26

2006/5/4 11:44Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

John,

Hebrews 10:26,27

"If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God."

Murray

2006/5/4 11:46Profile
Logic

You can loose your salvation, but not like you loose your car keys.

You walk awy from it and denie God as divorce is to marrage.

Say, you dissown your father and he would have an inheritance for you, but you will not take it.
Though he remains your father, it does not matter, for it is the relaition[u]ship[/u] that counts, not the biological relaition.
Or
You let your heart become so hard against your wife that you divorce her.
These are the same as when you loose your salvation.

BUT, you can not be born again [b]again[/b].
Once you loose it, your finished!

[b]Hebrews 6:4[/b]

[color=990000]For [b]it is impossible[/b] for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
[b]:5[/b] And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
[b]:6[/b] [b]If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance[/b]; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.[/color]

2006/5/4 11:49Profile
jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

I realize this can easily turn into a battle of Bible quotes,and I apologize in advance for that.
I thought maybe someone out there experienced the same type of teaching in pentacostal churches.
I believe that even after we are saved,,we are still flesh and therefore sin still lives in us.If we fall into our old ways(or backslide) we have grieved the spirit,but have not lost our salvation.Isnt that what the parable or story of the prodigal son was about?

2006/5/4 11:54Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Yes,

I definitely have been taught that in the pentocostal church. I have gone to several church of God's, and they are very heavy into this teaching. I feel there has to be a medium. I hear a lot of preachers that sit there and condemn people all day long, and on the other corner I hear people that let sin thrive in their church.

We need to keep this in prayer and go to the source, The Word.

I have heard a lot of debates on this, and have swayed both ways on the issue, but I still have to agree with Chuck Smith's teaching on this.

2006/5/4 12:29Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

John,

I am not looking to turn this into a battle of bible quotes. But the word is our authority on our relationship with God. If God tells me that I cannot DELIBERATELY keep on sinning or else I become his enemy, I believe Him.

I realize we sin unintentionally(Sins of Omission), like being ungrateful,etc. It is a question of sin being your master or Jesus being your master.

1 John 2

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense-Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

We know that we have to come to know him if we obey His commands. The man who says "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

God bless your hunger for truth John.

Murray

2006/5/4 12:33Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

If you can choose your "salvation" then you can lose your "salvation". If you view salvation as accepting a gift that can be returned at anytime then that is something you can lose because it was never there in the first place.

Many people falsly view God with outstrecthed hands just begging people to take salvation from him. They feel that people can see it for what it is and take it or leave it simply at their own discretion.

When in reality, nobody wants his salvation (Rmns 3) at all but he he gives it freely to those whom he wishes. Then when our eyes are opened to this wonderful gift, we cling to it tightly and there is nothing that can remove it from us.

This type of salvation...the salvation that comes by grace through faith--not of works that no man may boast...cannot be lost.

This salvation, that is true salvation, is nothing that we earn and nothing that we deserve. This salvation that is solely based on the grace of God, cannot be lost by what we do because it was not given based on what we do.

If I cannot earn my salvation, why would I believe that I can lose my salvation?

Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." Habbakkuk 2:4 says that the "righteous shall live by faith."

How can I be crucified with Christ with Christ living in me, living by faith and lose my salvation, my hope, my Lord? Impossible!

Does this mean that my faith never goes weak? Of course it does on occasion. But thankfully God has already planned for that!

Romans 8
26In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. 27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.

Hebrews 7:24-26

24but because Jesus lives forever, he has a permanent priesthood. 25Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.

26Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens.

So, if I am weak then Jesus himself intercedes for me. So, if I live by faith and are called by God, and Jesus himself and the Holy Spirit are interceding for me...I will never fall! Because if I fall then that means Jesus has failed...which can never happen.

This is not to say that I am perfect and will never sin...but it does mean that I will never fall from grace and lose my salvation.

2006/5/4 14:05Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

[sorry about the duplicate]

jamccor

New Jersey

Re:

I am going to look for that Chuck Smith teaching.
Thanks to everyone for helping a brother out.
GOD Bless!

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy