SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What bibles do you give new converts who are not very good at reading

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

I can read those threads till my brain explodes.

But we werent there. All we can do is speculate, although I do think it is odd that certain verses are omitted in the newer version, we should not tell people which version they can read or not.

I have read all of those posts, and actually defended the King James version, but all we can do is talk. We were not there. Can you tell me 100%, 100%, 100% that those manuscripts are corrupted.

As for these bible versions, I think TNIV, and the message are really watered down versions. But the NKJV, NASB and maybe NIV(thats pushin it) are the best for me. I would recommend they read something like that. When I handed the KJV out, people did complain they didnt want to read that. So what are we gonna do? tell them they cant be saved? I would just hand them a newer version like the NKJV.

I hope this helps everyone,

God Bless you Krisp, I am not trying to get in any debates about the scriptures, I have read them all, and I am not trying to challenge your walk at all.

May god continue to bless you all....

2006/5/4 13:32Profile

Re:

Quote:
When I handed the KJV out, people did complain they didnt want to read that. So what are we gonna do?

So we give the unsaved what they want, or what they need? Does someone who just got saved know anything about the KJV... or even read it? How do they know it's too hard to read? I wish I had a dime for every new believer I've either discipled or led to the Lord (or both) who told me the KJV would be too hard to read or understand who came to me later (after I challenged them to give it a chance) and admitted they had very few troubles reading and uderstanding it.

I would be quite rich.

Krispy

2006/5/4 14:32
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

There are many people I know that I was good friends with in the world, that at least had a little knowledge of the word to know that the king james version was hard to read.

I am not giving in, but if there is a new translation that could help clarify things to them, I would use it.

You still didnt answer my question about you knowing 100% that those manuscripts were corrupted?

God Bless you brother, :-D

2006/5/4 14:48Profile

Re:

Quote:
You still didnt answer my question about you knowing 100% that those manuscripts were corrupted?

sigh... this is a trap question. Do you know with 100% certainty what kind of gas mileage your car gets.

Do you know with certainty that the manuscripts are not corrupt? One of them has to be corrupt because they are so different.

But I'm not going to debate this any further, as this was not my intent. And you said it wasnt your's... so there ya go.

Krispy

2006/5/4 15:41
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

God Bless ya Brother

by the way, I get 29 miles per gallon, well depending on city or country.(just kidding)

2006/5/4 15:45Profile
allhavsinned

North West England

Re:

Krispy, I don't believe it's giving the unsaved what they want, but when someone askes to find out more about God is it WRONG to give them anything other than the KJ? It's like giving a hungry man a Big Mac, it's not the best but it will put him on for now. To follow your thinking, (and I do agree with all you said and I only read the KJV)- God can't save anyone who doesn't read the King James.
Myself, I am tomorrow going to see a guy who wants to know more about Jesus (Please pray for me, his name is Ian), and I will be giving him a KJ Gideons bible I picked up very cheap. But I question weather or not the hard line approach is straining at a gnat a bit. God can save people when they read a Jehovah's Witness bible (NWT) so I'm sure He can speak to someone through a NIV. (the Message or Street bible :-( I wouldn't buy if they were a dime a dozen!) May God forgive me if I am wrong.

Ste

2006/5/4 16:58Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

I will pray brother, god bless

2006/5/4 23:14Profile

Re:

Hi Dom,

I used to teach reading to adults who had slipped through the education net, often because of lack of opportunity, or, undiagnosed / helped learning difficulties.

These people know how to get by. Their spoken English and knowledge of how to get what they need without being able to read, depends on their [b]listening[/i] and their courage to [b]speak[/i] up - questions - till they understand they have their answer.

When I saw the question in the title of this thread, I immediately thought 'an audio Bible'. They are not particularly expensive on ebay, and, even if someone spent £10 on a cheap cd player, and £30 on a really good dramatised KJV on several discs, they would have spent less than one good leatherbound study Bible, such a Newberry. I picked up a cd with the whole KJV on it (with no music or actors taking parts), for £4 (from ebay).

There are several versions on cd and also on cassette.

While there may be disadvantages to not seeing the verse and chapter breaks when listening only, if the Bible is read out intelligently, it actually conveys the meaning very well.

And, at the back of my mind I'm thinking that if the listener is really taking in the word of God this way, then it is going to help clear their mind, and make them [i]more[/i] able and hopeful about learning to read, (and to read scripture) when they do feel the urge to study more for themselves.

Often, people with a learning difficulty have developed a wonderful memory, because they can't make notes to themselves, or get information they need, any other way. But, others, who find reading hard but have a very visual memory, may not enjoy listening to scripture, unless they have the words in front of them. Then, it would be important to buy a cd and a cheap copy of the same translation, so while they are trying to read it, the audio can be helping them out with some of the tricky words and long sentences.

2006/5/5 6:10

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, I don't believe it's giving the unsaved what they want, but when someone askes to find out more about God is it WRONG to give them anything other than the KJ? It's like giving a hungry man a Big Mac, it's not the best but it will put him on for now. To follow your thinking, (and I do agree with all you said and I only read the KJV)- God can't save anyone who doesn't read the King James.
Myself, I am tomorrow going to see a guy who wants to know more about Jesus (Please pray for me, his name is Ian), and I will be giving him a KJ Gideons bible I picked up very cheap. But I question weather or not the hard line approach is straining at a gnat a bit. God can save people when they read a Jehovah's Witness bible (NWT) so I'm sure He can speak to someone through a NIV. (the Message or Street bible I wouldn't buy if they were a dime a dozen!) May God forgive me if I am wrong.

allhavesinned... I never once said that a person can only be saved by reading the KJV. While there are some misguided people who believe that... I do not. I myself was saved in a church that used the NIV, and on top of that, it was a Word of Faith church. There is no doubt in my mind that I was saved.

However, as I grew in the Lord I came to a place where I rejected both the NIV (and other modern versions) AND the Word of Faith doctrines. But for several years I was taught rank heresy in that church. I was taught the "name it and claim it" doctrine, I was taught that God doesnt want any believers to be sick and all we needed to be healed was enough faith, I was taught that being slain in the Spirit was scriptural (even tho it's never mentioned in scripture), I was taught that tongues was a required sign of being Baptised in the Spirit, I was encouraged to read Benny Hinn's garbage, etc etc.

This church chose experience over sound Biblical doctrine. Biblical doctrine must confirm or reject experience, not the other way around. But one doctrine they did manage to understand well was salvation... and thats how I came to know the Lord.

Now, thats not all because they used the NIV. But my point is, if I can spare someone from the gross error that I was exposed to as a new believer, then I will do it. And I firmly believe that Bible versions is a crucial issue... and I personally can not in good conscience hand anyone a version that I believe with all my heart is corrupted.

In my own personal discipling of new believers I have taken the effort to teach them how to study the Bible, and how to make good use of commentaries and concordances to help them understand God's Word. I've discipled people who were not great readers, but who have learned to study the KJV just fine with little trouble. It's a myth that people can not understand it. It's more than a myth... it's a lie. Having to rely on a dictionary from time to time is a GOOD thing because it means they are taking the time to understand and not just read.

And besides, the questioned as it was posed on this thread was about what Bible to give to NEW CONVERTS. So we are talking about people who are already saved.

Krispy

2006/5/5 8:28
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Krisp,

Thanks for sharing that. I know you have a true heart for christ. I also went to a Word of faith church for about 6 months, and was taught the same stuff as you were about slain in spirit, tongues etc. However, I dont feel that if someone reads another version of the bible, they are in error. My church (calvary chapel) uses NASB, however I use KJV, and the NKJV, and many people get fed by all of them. I will never question my pastor on this issue.

I appreciate your sincere concern on this subject, but we will have to agree to disagree.

god bless ya krispy

2006/5/5 9:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy