SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What bibles do you give new converts who are not very good at reading

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

What bibles do you give new converts who are not very good at reading

I am wondering whether what bibles you give some new converts who are not very good at reading. I like to get the KJV and I would most but it is about reading it.
Also where is the cheapest that you can get bibles in bulk and for cheap

2006/5/3 9:03Profile

Re: What bibles do you give new converts who are not very good at reading

I'd give them the ESV. I would really caution giving a new believer, especially someone not good at reading, a KJV. It tends to throw people off.

For Bibles in bulk, go to:
http://www.bibles.com

ESV Bibles in bulk:
http://www.bibles.com/Templates/ProductList_Bibles.aspx?Catalog=ABS_NEW&Category=Bibles_English

Jordan

2006/5/3 10:59
Combat_Chuck

NASB is my favorite, but you probably won't be able to get them for below $11 or so each.

Check with the gideons, I think they do NKJV full Bibles for about $5, though I could be wrong...

2006/5/3 17:10Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

I am english and dont have a credit card

2006/5/3 19:22Profile
mega

Australia, NSW

Re:

:-) thats funny

I have been told 'the Message Bible' is good for new converts its just the New Testament and I think it comes in different languages too...I think its not to expensive but dont quote me on that...Bless Ya.

2006/5/4 4:46Profile
teamtoucan

Queanbeyan, Canberra, NSW, Australia

I'd recommend the New Living Translation (NLT). The English is very simple, and specifically designed for people who have limited english reading skills.

2006/5/4 5:23Profile

KJV... nothing else. Why? Because I am convinced that the modern versions are based on corrupt texts. Why would I give a new convert (even one who is not a great reader) a Bible that I believe is corrupted? No, I'll give them what I believe is the real deal. People are capable of learning, even elderly people. If they need to read better then what better place to start than with the book that is considered the masterpiece of English literature?

Besides, the KJV is written at a 7th grade reading level. Most people can read at at least a 7th grade reading level. It is a complete myth (and lie perpetrated by the publishing companies) that the KJV is too hard to read.

Krispy

2006/5/4 8:43
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

Krisp,

Do you have 100% proof that those texts were corrupted?

I have found none

I would defintely recommend the NKJV more than anything. I buy those little leather bound bibles at the book store for about $9, but the people I give them to are always really appreciative at the fact I will give them a Bible. I have also found some of those little pocket NASB personal workers new testament, but I dont care too much for them, because they only contain the NT, psalms and proverbs, but I think that will be okay to give out.

May god bless you all!!

2006/5/4 9:50Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi deltadom...

I prefer to give the NIV to new believers. I started reading the NIV, and quickly progressed to reading the KJV. Over time, I eventually tell new believers that it is a good idea to read the KJV too. Here is a [url=https://shop3.gospelcom.net/epages/IBSDirect.storefront/445a2ecf05e2e940271d45579e7b0694/Product/View/920_921_922_923_924_925]great place[/url] to buy inexpensive complete bibles (Old and New Testaments) in bulk for as low as $1.99 each (or about 2.58 AUD).

As for the statement that the KJV is on a "7th grade English reading level," I have read the opposite. In his book [i]The Reading Ease of the King James Bible[/i], D.A. Waite, Jr. uses the Flesch-Kincaid grade-level formula and rates the KJV at a 5th grade level. However, this formula relies completely on the [i]length[/i] of words, rather than the [i]common use[/i] or [i]familiarity[/i] of words. Most credible charts that I have seen (including the one in a University English book -- [i]The Bedford Guide[/i]) places the KJV at an advanced 12th grade reading level.

I personally had difficulty with many of the words of the KJV when I met the Lord. Even now, as a post-graduate student, I still have to sometimes rely on a dictionary or Strong's Concordance from time-to-time for clarity. It was the intent of the translators of the KJV to provide a commonly understandable version of the Bible, where readers did not have to rely on such explanations for the Scriptures.

:-)

2006/5/4 13:10Profile

Re:

Quote:
Do you have 100% proof that those texts were corrupted?

I have found none

Then you probably have not looked very deeply into the subject. But this has been debated at great lengths here, and it's not my intention to start another. Get in the way-back machine and look at past threads.

As for Chris' comments about certain words being difficult in the KJV, and having to sometimes rely on a dictionary or a Strong's... thats called "studying", and when you have to research certain meanings it can also open up other doors of understanding into God's Word as well... and I do not see that as a bad thing. If someone has truly been born again then the Spirit will instill in them a desire for the deeper things of God, and not just read the Word, but study it and delve into it like it was a treasure chest that they just found on a sunken pirate ship at the bottom of the sea.

Krispy

2006/5/4 13:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy