SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Joseph's Coat of Many Colours

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I agree 100%! That is the marvel of the scriptures: it seems you can never get enough of it because it is so deep! Now this does not mean you cannot understand it. Far from it: you can but you cannot get all of it at once!

Joseph is an amazing character: he also grew up in a far less then ideal home. His brothers were men of violence; his dad had four women which did not do anything to enhance household harmony; severe sibling rivalry ruled. He was taken away while a teen, thrust into a pagan society AND he remained faithful to what he was taught! Now THAT is amazing! Do not let anyone tell you a young male cannot be pure under those circumstances. Think about that! His bosses' wife tried hard to seduce him and he fled, never minding how it jeopardized his job. The difference? He reverenced the God of his father, g-father- g-g grandfather Abraham. Now that made all the difference.

I am glad you like to study the character of Joseph. He is one amazing person.

Now the coat: I will have to think about that a litle bit more....this will give me something to think about while I work on my tomato plants today. (We grow tomatoes hydroponicaly.)

ginnyrose

2006/5/1 8:34Profile
NewAuthor

Re: Joseph a symbol of Jesus

This is so true. The Joseph of the Old Testament is a direct symbol of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Recently I had 15 aspects published on how Joseph's life is figurative of the life of Jesus Christ. Joseph was a savior to his family in the time of famine. Jesus came into our world to be our Savior and to bring us His salvaiton. The same publicaiton that is mentioned above begins with the alagory of Joseph's Colorful Coat. That coat, I believe, is symbolic of God's redemptive love. Joseph's coat was bestowed on him prematurely, but God's robe of righteousness is ours because of His love to us. It is not given to us prematurely, nor because of playing favorites. Joseph's Colorful Coat is only the first of several pieces of clothing that the Bible talks about Joseph wearing. Each is symbolic of our Christian walk.

2012/2/11 20:42Profile
NewAuthor

Re:You have some real great points here

ginnyrose, I love the relations that you pointed out in the figurative comparision of Joseph and Jesus. God has shown me several more points...but all in all, they were both unjustly judged, grew spiritually through unmerited injustice and became saviors. Jesus...the Savior with a capital 'S.'The Lord has given me many insights into the life of this awesome Old Testament hero. He has really been an example for me to bring me to glorious victory.

2012/2/11 20:53Profile
NewAuthor

Re:

Have you ever considered the thought that Joseph's colorful coat could be symbolic of God's robe of righteousness for us?

2012/2/11 20:57Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Psa 35:7 For without cause have they hid for me their net in a pit, which without cause they have digged for my soul.

Joseph's brothers faked his death. They threw him in a pit. Then, when the passing Midianites arrived, the brothers dragged Joseph up and sold him to the merchants for 20 pieces of silver. The brothers then dipped Joseph's coat in goat blood and showed it to their father, saying that Joseph had been torn apart by wild beasts. Indeed, those "wild beasts" were the jealous brothers.

Wild beasts are a "type" of religionists such as the ones that crucified Jesus. They cannot abide the authority of Jesus Christ in their lives so they set out to destroy Him or destroy those representing Him.

When Joseph confronts his brothers in Egypt, he recognizes them, but they failed to recognize him.

We are all "wild beasts" without Christ and whom Christ has come to many times in the past but we did not recognize Him. One day, by the grace of God, we recognized Him. Our eyes were opened.

Luke 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:

Luke 22:32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

And Joseph, strengthened his brethren and took care of them, too. Thought they covered him with hate and "murder", and told everyone that he was dead, Joseph covers them with love and forgiveness.

That is the difference between religion and Christ. When you finally "see" Jesus Christ, religion no longer has a hold on you. It's spell is broken and you are released to walk in love because you have been freed from fear.

Rev 19:13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God.

Pilgrim

2012/2/11 23:33Profile

Re: Joseph's Coat of Many Colours

Couple more things:
1.) Joseph was sold for 20 pieces of silver. The cost of a slave in Jospeph's day. Jesus was sold for 30. The cost of a slave in His day (inflation).
2.) From what I understand, Joseph, Joshua, and Jesus all come from the same Hebrew name root ultimately meaning "savior" or "deliverer".

2012/2/12 1:44
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"Have you ever considered the thought that Joseph's colorful coat could be symbolic of God's robe of righteousness for us?"

This quote set me on a train....never thought of it before, but you are on to something.

When we are righteous it will evoke the anger and jealousy of those otherwise. They grind their teeth in anticipation of ridding their environment of those that serve as a reminder of the convicting work of the Holy Spirit in their life.

But it did not work. They got rid of the wearer but it evoked a guilt that was not resolved for many years. Wonder if these guys were not a pain to live with?

(Rabbit trail: I have often thought how the story could have been radically different if the brothers had confessed their sin earlier. Would Jacob have sent someone to Egypt in the hopes of rescuing his beloved son? I could imagine it...But it did not happen. I see in this story God sovereignty over human events, even those that are terrible. God will use them to work out his plan to save someone, somewhere, wherever that may be.)

2012/2/12 9:44Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Joseph's father annointed him over his brothers. Joseph would not understand until God gave him revelation through his trials.

The Lord Jesus was sent by his Father to His brothers (Israel) to see to their well being, they rejected Him, conspiring against Him and causing His death.

When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him. Their family positions were threatened by Joseph being chosen. (Gen. 37:2-4).

The Pharisees were jealous of Jesus and their positions were threatened by Him. They could not speak a kind word to Him.

Joseph's brothers rejected him, consigning him to a "pit" causing his "death".

Jesus was rejected and killed, consigned to Hell (so the Pharisees thought), killed as a common criminal (sinner).

Joseph was later sold to the Midianites as a slave to sin.

Jesus had no earthly station or influence but was hung on a cross between two criminials appointed to save the world from their sins.

Joseph had no earthly station and was jailed with criminals, rescued the "world" from their plight.

Jesus saves one criminal (in prison to sin) and the other dies.

Joseph saves one criminal in prison and the other dies.

Jesus was given a position of prominence on earth receiving all power and authority subject only to the will of His Father.

Heb 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Joseph was given all power and authority subject only to Pharoah.

Gen 41:40 Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou.

The Father implements His strategy through Jesus saving us all from death. Jesus takes a Gentile Bride and He puts His brothers through a series of disastrous events designed specifically to place them entirely at His mercy and permit the revelation of His true identity. Jesus is the initiator of love and forgiveness.

Pharoah implements his strategy through Joseph, to save his people. Joseph takes a Gentile Bride and he puts his brothers through a series of testings in order to bring them to a place of utter dependence upon him. They then receive the revelation of who Joseph is. Joseph is the initiator of love and forgiveness.

A highly emotional reunion takes place between Joseph and Israel and a highly emotional reunion will take place when Israel's eyes are opened.

Rom 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Rom 11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

Rom 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

Pilgrim

2012/2/12 13:06Profile
jochbaptist

Re:

My favourite similarity between them ....
They were both taken from the grave.

2012/2/12 16:37Profile
NewAuthor

Re: Pilgrim

You have a lot of great concepts here, but I am wondering what you meant in two different areas. You said, "Joseph's brothers rejected him...causing his death." Can you clarify what you meant by "causing his death?" Then just below that you say "Joseph was later sold to the Midianites as a slave to sin." Can you also please explain what you are saying by "as a slave to sin?"
Iam very blessed by the life of Joseph and have done extensive research and writings, but I haven't come across the above concepts. Thanks, I look for the clarification.

2012/2/12 16:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy