SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Alter calls

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
dgoo

Alter calls

Can anyone give me information on why to have or to not have alter calls. Where to find it on the internet etc. Any help would be appreciated.
God bless
Thanks

2006/4/26 16:14Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: Alter calls

Hi dgoo,

There is a history of how the altar call developed [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=9750&forum=40&post_id=&refresh=Go]here[/url] and its ultimate influence on modern evangelistic methods. the thread covers the New Birth primarily, but on the second or third page it goes into a history that will give you some issues to further research. It is not 'pro' or 'con' towards altar calls, it simply shows how the altar call was the beginning of a downhill slide towards what we see today (A de-emphasis on the New Birth).

Hope it helps.

Robert

2006/4/26 16:29Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Sorry. Duplicated post

2006/4/26 16:29Profile

Re:

One cool thing, I think was awesome that my church does. *Which I haven't seen until resently. cause they normally dont preach the gospel, but did cause of easter*

Is a DIFFERENT kind of altar call.

Their idea behind it is 'no one should sneak into the kingdom of God'.

Our pastor said 'If you want to make a decision today, then with every eye OPEN and every head UP, I want you to stand up. We have all done this before, and we are inviting you to the family of God. We (entire church) are here to help you in your decision with God.'

He then, of course, encourages them further so. Because of the fear of standing. But God is God, and 6 people stood, and everyone rejoiced and later, most of the congregation said 'hi' to the new converts.

I like this idea. Eh, just my personal liking. :-P

2006/4/26 16:37

Re:

I dont stand in judgement over anyone or any church that uses alter calls. I know countless people have been saved "at the alter". I do protest those who judge others who do not utilize alter calls. You will see no alter calls in the Bible. It's development has been fairly recent. Yet I have heard some of my fundamental brothers cast verbal judgement on churches that chose not to have alter calls. How can that be if alter calls are not found in God's Word? This condemnation from folks who claim there is no new revelation since the completion of the Cannon!

Ok... what am I saying? I'm just saying we shouldnt get too caught up in something that is a development of man. Does God use it? Yes, He certainly does. Is it necessary? No, it certainly isnt.

Krispy

2006/4/26 17:02
Graftedbranc

The alter call is fine as long as it is done according to the teaching and examples we have in the Bible and especially the New Testament.

The difficulty is, there is no teaching and no example of an alter call in the New Testament.

Why? There is no alter. Christ is our Alter. And the call is not to come down to some positional alter, but rather to come to the living, crucified and resurrected Christ.

Is He "up front" no. The Word is nigh thee, in thy heart and in thy mouth so that if you shall confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved."

The Lord Jesus is not at the Alter of some church building. He is as the Spirit poured out upon all flesh so that "whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved.

Is there no outward show or testimony? The Spirit leads us to seek baptism. This is our testimony, our declaration that we have believed into the Lord Jesus Christ, have been regenerated, taken out of the world, died with Christ and been raised with Him.

Why not return to what the New Testament gives us. A Living crucified and resurrected Lord, repentance and faith in His Name and baptisme as the testimony of our faith and union with Him in His death and resurrection.

Graftedbranch

2006/4/26 20:18Profile
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

Robert,
What an awesome work and expose'. Thank you dear brother. God bless you for your labor of love, a very enlightening piece.
As with that old saint J. Vernon McGee, we had better go "back to the bible", and do things God's way, if we want to see God'd kind of results and avoid giving people a counterfiet ticket to heaven. God help us all.

In Him,

"0"

2006/4/26 22:34Profile
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

Robert,
What an awesome work and expose'. Thank you dear brother. God bless you for your labor of love, a very enlightening piece.
As with that old saint J. Vernon McGee, we had better go "back to the bible", and do things God's way, if we want to see God'd kind of results and avoid giving people a counterfiet ticket to heaven. God help us all.

In Him,

"0"

2006/4/26 22:34Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy