Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Dancing in the Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
Nellie

Re:

Krispy,
I agree with your post
I have felt the same way about looking for another Church.
I am praying and asking God to lead me.

Thank-you
God Bless
Nellie

2006/4/10 12:24Profile
Nellie

Re:

Thanks Diane,
We lead by example, and the Young people will follow the example of the Youth Leader.
Thanks so much for all your in put.
I appreciate my Brothers and Sisters on this web
site, even when they don't agree with me.
I have a lot to learn, and will be learning until Jesus comes or calls me Home.
God Bless you
Nellie

2006/4/10 12:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
Are people really serious about not knowing what fleshly dancing is as opposed to spiritual dancing? Is that how worldy the church has become?

This is why i was afraid to post because i did not want to be misunderstood. All i wanted to know was what was meant by worldly dancing. Thanks for clearing that up with me Nellie. The reason i was asking in the first place was for a concern i have about dancing in the church and mearly wanted the opinion not criticism of others.

2006/4/10 13:37

Re:

I wasnt critisizing others, and you were not the only one who was questioning the difference between carnal dancing and spiritual dancing.

Sorry if you took that personally.

You have to admit there are times when it seems the church is so much like the world that there isnt any difference. We are not seperate. We are not even peculiar anymore. It's that condition that I was addressing. It's not critisism... it's called truth.

Krispy

2006/4/10 13:47

Re:

Quote:
You have to admit there are times when it seems the church is so much like the world that there isnt any difference. We are not seperate. We are not even peculiar anymore. It's that condition that I was addressing. It's not critisism... it's called truth.

Yes, i wholeheartedly agree with you, 100%. I did take it personally, which i am sorry i misunderstood. :oops: (Feeling a little sheepish now)
God Bless You Krispy

2006/4/10 14:03
roadsign

Re: Wordly or spiritly

Quote:
This is why i was afraid to post because i did not want to be misunderstood. All i wanted to know was what was meant by worldly dancing.

Geraldine, You did not ask a bad question at all, but a very good one

I think people muddy things up by the way they use words. And then we don't have clear meanings. For example: What is dancing "in the spirit" anyway? There are all kinds of spirits, good and bad that loiter around our churches. And not everybody who thinks that they are "moving" in the Spirit really know what it means to be moved by the Holy Spirit.

I would prefer not to conclude that all those in churches, black or otherwise, who are jiving to the music are responding to a special prompting of the Spirit. Nor are they particularily "worldly". A lot of behavior in our churches is simply conditioned. Ex: In some churches everybody raises their hands. IN some they kneel, in some they say "amen", etc etc. But that doesn't mean it is intrinsically wrong. I'm not knocking it.

Movement is good - good for the body and good for the psyche. I'm trying to get these Presbyterians whom I work with to move a little more. Even clapping would be great. But for some of the older folk, even that is like asking them to play pat-a-cake. It feels condescending. So, I have to be careful to respect that.

We just don't need to deify behaviors in church with sacred expressions like "moving in the Spirit" That does not necessarily justify it.

I love dancing, and sometimes at home I put on some lively music very loudly. Tell me I'm worldly, but all that I know is that I get the excercise I desparately need. It's good for my heart, lungs, and muscles. And I'm having fun, and I'm praising God. It's better than that ol' treadmill.

Geraldine, does that make your understanding clearer or muddier?
Diane

2006/4/10 14:48Profile

Re:

Thanks Diane. To answer your question, Clearer. I asked because when i worship the Lord in church i like to close my eye's raise my hands and stand in awe of my wonderful God! I may swing side to side as i rock my baby in my arms but i cant say i have 'danced'. There have however been times where we have been told that we are not being lively enough and are critisized for being too 'quiet' (i cant think of a better word at present or of the actual word used). Anyway you could feel as we were being condemned for not moving enough or praising enough the Holy Spirit was being quenched. It was awful.
So my question really did have apoint to it. I really wondered what was being refered to as worldy dancing.

Quote:
I love dancing, and sometimes at home I put on some lively music very loudly. Tell me I'm worldly, but all that I know is that I get the excercise I desparately need. It's good for my heart, lungs, and muscles. And I'm having fun, and I'm praising God. It's better than that ol' treadmill.

Ahh, now i can relate to that! I have three wonderful children and many times have we put on a christian cd and danced together (more jumping up and down , there very energetic :-) ) and then there are the times im alone and the Holy Spirit floods in and all i want to do is jump up and praise The Lord!
God Bless you Diane

2006/4/10 16:05
roadsign

Re: coercing worshippers

Quote:
There have however been times where we have been told that we are not being lively enough and are critisized for being too 'quiet'

Geraldine, The amount of body movement has NOTHING to do with the work of the Spirit! That is more like pagan rituals, invoking the spirits with rain dances and such. I think of the Baal worshipers at Mt. Carmel, or those who danced around the golden calf. That is not God's way.

It is possible to invoke the wrong spirits in our churches, assuming that it is God's Spirit. That is the nature of deception - it looks like light, but is darkness.

Perhaps you could suggest to your church leaders that you do a Bible study on the role of the Holy Spirit.

Quote:
we were being condemned for not moving enough or praising enough the Holy Spirit was being quenched.

You were being condemned because of a faulty understanding of the Spirit. Not only that, it is inappropriate to "make" , coerce, or shame anyone into certain religious behaviors. Jesus NEVER did that. He allowed people freedom - even freedom to accept or reject him.

This is antirely different kind of freedom than was inappropriately permitted to our dancing duo at the beginning of this thread.

There is such a thing as good rules to promote orderliness.

Diane

2006/4/10 19:53Profile

Re: Dancing in the Church

Ya i have seen this alot. Flesh! Pastors looking the other way. Look at Ezekiel chapter 9. Abominations will happen in the church. Jesus will come and shake everything that can be shaken. Dont feel prude, there are others who discern and feel the same as you.

2006/4/13 19:38
sleepless

Re:

'But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh
what does it mean to put on…?
is putting on in contrast with fulfilling the lust of the flesh? Or can both coexist, as long there is no sin.

Can I be involved in “clean” activities and yet without realizing I am a person that makes provision for the flesh. We are skilled when it comes to defend what we like and never consider doubting what we do.. “My preference has more value than your statement “

Jeremiah 23:16 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, ...: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD.
17 They say still unto them that despise me, The LORD hath said, Ye shall have peace; (ther is real and false peace) and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you.

What is interesting the people who despise the Lord and those that walk after the imagination of their own heart are prone to be deceived.

But him who stays under the Lord’s counsel can understand and make His will known (18)
Our Lord mention that a man lives” with every word that comes from God”.
Am I thirsty for His word? Do I long for His word that can give me the true life? What is the purpose of running to prophesy (v21) is it the result of me staying at His counsel? (v22) or I am using the Lord’s name so my words have more credibility as verse 31 mention.

So
-if I belong of the group that despise the Lord (in my mind I may say differently, but my activities don’t support it). Yet those who seek God’s glory and interest gladly depart from all appearance of evil….

-if I accept and submit to the desire of my heart ( not necessarily evil or sinful but those dreams that have nothing to do with honoring God, but rather honoring myself making me feel important, good, appreciated…) some have good impression of themselves yet God think otherwise. The whole Bible condemns self-seeking as wrong, and inconsistent with the true service of God. If I walk after such then I am in danger to be deceived.

Or
-if I consider myself called and yet is not the Lord that send me ( I did not stay at His counsel, nether do I esteem His word as the only food that I can live with,) then I am in danger of doing, going without being sent.

The Holy Spirit has in mind Christ only, not myself, He will talk of Me says Jesus.

May the Lord’s peace be upon His people!

2006/4/14 4:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy