SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Peter Cartwright (convert from the cane ridge revival)

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Peter Cartwright (convert from the cane ridge revival)

A famous Methodist evangelist named Peter Cartwright was known for his uncompromising preaching. However, one day when the President of the United States, Andrew Jackson, "Old rough and ready," came to Cartwright’s church, the elders warned the Pastor not to offend the President. In those days, the President had great power to influence a denomination for good or bad. Content, that their Pastor would not say anything to discredit their church, the elders retired to the back of the sanctuary.

When Cartwright got up to speak, the first words out of his mouth were, "I understand that President Andrew Jackson is here this morning. I have been requested to be very guarded in my remarks. Let me say this: "Andrew Jackson will go to hell if doesn’t repent of his sin!" The entire congregation gasped with shock at Cartwright’s boldness. How could this young preacher dare to offend the tough old general in public, they wondered.

After the service, everyone wondered how the President would respond to Cartwright. When Andrew Jackson met the preacher at the door he looked at him in the eye and said, "Sir, If I had a regiment of men like you, I could conquer the world!" When we appreciate the power of the word of God and the Holy Spirit speaking from the lips of people with conviction we will make eternal differences.

2006/4/7 20:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Peter Cartwright (convert from the cane ridge revival)

I am blown away by this short testimony of a life of a minister that was truly made sublime by the indwelling Holy Spirit. "eternal differences" what a radical thing it would be for many in the church leadership to be soley concentrated on eternity and living for that heavenly purpose.

2006/4/9 2:18Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Peter Cartwright

:-)

A sister quite awhile back made mention of him, think there may be some postings around somewhere.

Great stuff Greg. Here's a bit from the desktop that I never finished reading ... [url=http://lincoln.lib.niu.edu/cgi-bin/navigate?/lib35/artfl1/databases/sources/IMAGE/.1885]Autobiography of Peter Cartwright [/url]

2006/4/9 12:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy