SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Interpretation needed?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Interpretation needed?

SI members,

You know the parable of the new wine and the old wineskin, could someone tell me what it means? It is found in Matthew, Mark and Luke so Jesus must have wanted us to understand it. Thanks in advance.

Murray

2006/4/6 8:34Profile
Josiah777

Sterling, VA

Re: Interpretation needed?

Murdog,

Here's a few principles of biblical interpretation that I find helpful, and then briefly speak toward this parable. The context of the parable is a key. For example, in Mark 2, Jesus is telling this parable in response to the question about fasting. Another important principle is that Scripture interprets Scripture. For example, wine in the Old Testament is a picture of earthly joy (see Ps. 104:15). But we should pay the closest attention to what Jesus says about wine, and we have some examples in John 2, which is contrasting wine and water, and at the last supper, where He draws attention to that being the new covenant. Most of all, when we approach the Scripture, we should be asking the Father to lift the veil to see Jesus, for He is the essence of all the Bible (see John 5:39, Luke 24:44-45). If study this parable to know the parable, we may miss the Life--Jesus. For that, we desperately need to wait upon God's Holy Spirit to lift the veil off the Bible to see Christ (see 2 Cor. 3:14-18). Only God can reveal God.

With that being said, Mark 2 has three questions addressed to the Lord Jesus, and they all have to do with the old system of holiness. In 2:14-17, the question/accusation was, "Why does Jesus eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?" Their thinking was an old covenant thinking that physical association brings defilement. Jesus pointed them to Himself--a Person: basically, "I am the Physician." Physicians are supposed to be around sick people.

In 2:18-22, the second question is on fasting, observing certain days to abstain from food. It is insightful again to see that their fasting was based upon a calendar and not a Person. Note that Jesus' answer also pointed to Himself--a Person: basically, "I am the Bridegroom." Fasting is not necessary when Jesus is present.

The third situation in 2:23-28 is a question on Sabbath observances, also an old covenant principle. Jesus again replies by pointing to Himself--a Person: basically, "I am the Lord of the Sabbath."

Now with this is your context, you can better appreciate what the Lord was trying to say about new wine and old wineskins. The people coming and asking questions were getting bent out of shape because Jesus wasn't fitting into their system of do's and don'ts. Jesus had to point out to them that their old system must be replaced by a new one, one in which He Himself is the centerpiece and preeminent Life. If you try to relate to the Lord in an old covenant way, you're going to get bent out of shape and the "new wine" the new covenant life of Christ will be spilled and lost. Hope that helps...

2006/4/6 9:26Profile
Greenquality

mountains of Pa.

Re:

I think this parable has many levels of deeper truth,here is one of them,we know that wine is made from yeast,This yeast is very gasey. pharisees self-righteousness is the old bottles, or skins, which have been strethed to their limts.so if new wine is put in to these old skins,the old skins will not streth,and will burst open.

2006/4/6 12:10Profile
Logic

Re:

Mark 2:21-22 No man also seweth a piece of new cloth on an old garment: else the new piece that filled it up taketh away from the old, and the rent is made worse.
:22 And no man putteth new wine into old bottles: else the new wine doth burst the bottles, and the wine is spilled, and the bottles will be marred: but new wine must be put into new bottles.

It is about the difrence between the two covenants.

You can not fit the new covenant into the old, you need to have a totly new mindset or way of livinging up to the requirements of the law.

this is why Jesus use the term "Bride Groom" to discribe hiself here
Mark 2:19-20 And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber fast, while the bridegroom is with them? as long as they have the bridegroom with them, they cannot fast.
:20 But the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken away from them, and then shall they fast in those days.

Think about:
Romans 7:1-3 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?
:2 For the woman[us] which hath an husband[The law, with its requirements], is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband.
:3 So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man {the new law of Grace].

Rom 8:3-4 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

2006/4/6 12:44Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Thanks a lot for the insight. I felt it was about the new and old covenant but I was having trouble articulating it.

I also thought the new wine may have been the holy spirit and the old wineskin was our sinful bodies before we accepted Christ.

Murray

2006/4/6 19:22Profile
Onesimus4God

Pinson, Alabama, USA

Re:

Christianity, eternal life by faith in Jesus Christ, does not work with religions people.
Religious people are like whitewashed tombs. The center of their being is dead and corrupted.
The christian on the other hand is pure and clean, holy and righteous on the inside because God lives there, even though the old outside may look a bit old and bent out of shape.
Jesus said, behold, old things are past away, behold all things have become new. New creations are not suited for religious systems.

"O"

2006/4/7 4:57Profile
Graftedbranc

Re: Interpretation needed?

Quote:
You know the parable of the new wine and the old wineskin, could someone tell me what it means?

The wine is the wine of the Spirit. The Life of God to be imparted into HIs believers. The wineskin is the container. IN Christ's day, the Old wine skin was Judaism. That is, the religious system of the day.

The Spirit had no place in Judaism which was built in law, in tradition, in mens teachings. The Spirit has no place to work, to function in the Old wine skin. A New Wine skin must come to be. That is the Church. That is the body of Christ which is not in tradion, in law or in mens establishment, but is organic, is living, and is the proper container for the wine of the Spirit of the crucified and resurrected Christ.

Graftedbranch

2006/4/17 14:25Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Where in scripture does it represent the Holy Spirit as wine?? Where is the life of God the Holy Spirit?

2Ti 1:1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, according to the promise of life which is in Christ Jesus,

Tts 1:2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began; Christ is the Life of God to us.

Ephesians 1:3-4 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ: According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Are you representing the "Spirit" as Christ in us the hope of Glory, or The Holy Spirit our Teacher?

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to understand what you are saying. What do you mean by organic? I thought we were born again of Spirit and water, the Spirit being the Incorruptible Seed of Christ birthed in us by the Father and the Water being the Living Water of Christ in us the Hope of Glory, and never needing to thirst for salvation again, our thirst is for More of Him. The Holy Spirit fulfills that thirst by Comforting us and Teaching us this truth of Christ in a human being, with the nature of Satan our pre-salvation father destroyed, by the precious ((nature)) of our new birthing and our life being the Life of Christ in us. Rom 2:14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by ((nature)) the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:

Rom 2:27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by ((nature,)) if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?

Christ is our new Nature, the Offspring of the Father, son's of God by Christ Jesus in us by birthing of the Father.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/4/19 2:49Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy