See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Abraham and his Seed

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
JaySaved

Kentucky

Abraham and his Seed

Galatians 3
15Brothers, let me take an example from everyday life. Just as no one can set aside or add to a human covenant that has been duly established, so it is in this case. 16The promises were spoken to Abraham and to his seed. The Scripture does not say "and to seeds," meaning many people, but "and to your seed,"[g] meaning one person, who is Christ. 17What I mean is this: The law, introduced 430 years later, does not set aside the covenant previously established by God and thus do away with the promise. 18For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on a promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Genesis 12
6 Abram traveled through the land as far as the site of the great tree of Moreh at Shechem. At that time the Canaanites were in the land. 7 The LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your offspring [Seed] I will give this land." So he built an altar there to the LORD, who had appeared to him.

Genesis 13
14 The LORD said to Abram after Lot had parted from him, "Lift up your eyes from where you are and look north and south, east and west. 15 All the land that you see I will give to you and your offspring [Seed] forever. 16 I will make your offspring like the dust of the earth, so that if anyone could count the dust, then your offspring could be counted. 17 Go, walk through the length and breadth of the land, for I am giving it to you."

Genesis 24
6 "Make sure that you do not take my son back there," Abraham said. 7 "The LORD, the God of heaven, who brought me out of my father's household and my native land and who spoke to me and promised me on oath, saying, 'To your offspring [Seed] I will give this land'-he will send his angel before you so that you can get a wife for my son from there. 8 If the woman is unwilling to come back with you, then you will be released from this oath of mine. Only do not take my son back there." 9 So the servant put his hand under the thigh of his master Abraham and swore an oath to him concerning this matter.

So my question is: If the Seed is Christ, and if Christians are Abraham's seed, doesn't this mean that we will inheirt the Land that was promised to Abraham?

2006/4/4 12:57Profile

Re: Abraham and his Seed

Probably you ought to consider these scripture verses, too.

Hebrews 11
8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.
9 [b]By faith he dwelt in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with [u]Isaac and Jacob[/u], the heirs with him of the same [u]promise[/u];
10 for he waited for [u]the city which has foundations[/u], whose builder and maker is God[/b].

Romans 9
for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom [pertain] [b]the adoption[/b], ... see Romans 8:15 -17

6 But it is not that the word of God has taken no effect. For they [are] not all Israel who are of Israel, 7 [b]nor are they all children because they are [u]the seed of Abraham[/u]; but, "[u]In Isaac[/u] your seed shall be called." [/b]8 [b]That is, those who are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God; but the children of [u]the promise[/u] are counted as [u]the seed[/u][/b].

2006/4/4 14:02
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Abraham and his Seed

Quote:

"So my question is: If the Seed is Christ, and if Christians are Abraham's seed, doesn't this mean that we will inheirt the Land that was promised to Abraham?"

Our inheritance is Christ The Seed not land of this earth, for His kingdom is not of this earth and either is ours. Eph 2:6 And hath raised [us] up together, and made [us] sit together in heavenly [places] in Christ Jesus:

We are not Israel and we are not Gentiles, we are new creatures in Christ Jesus. Who would want to inherit things of this world or lands or anything? Christ is our inheritance and He is going to build a place for us in His Father House which is in heaven. We do not and should not want anything to do with Israel on this earth. We can and should pray for the peace of Israel which is Gods', which is not of this earth yet, but will be when Christ sets up His Kingdom on this earth and rules over Israel and the rest of the World from David's Throne In the New Jerusalem and new kingdom on this earth. We are Christ ones, New creatures in Christ and have nothing to do with Israel or this earth. We are in the Kingdom of our Dear Lord and we will rule and reign with Him for we are His, the Body of Christ, His Church, Who Has made us sons' and fellow heirs of God in Christ Jesus. We are already translated into the kingdom of His Dear Son. Col 1:13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated [us] into the kingdom of his dear Son: Translated in Greek means: 3179. methistemi
methistano meth-is-tan'-o (1 Cor. 13:2)

from 3326 and 2476; to transfer, i.e. carry away, depose or (figuratively) exchange, seduce:--put out, remove, translate, turn away.
The same word as to remove mountains.

We don't need or want the land of Israel.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/4/4 15:58Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

So the promises made to Abraham and his Seed in Genesis 12, 13, and 24 do not include land?

2006/4/4 16:54Profile
Logic

Re:

Though we are grafted into the Olive tree, there are some promises that are only for Israel of the flesh.

2006/4/4 20:03Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote: again.

"So my question is: If the Seed is Christ, and if Christians are Abraham's seed, doesn't this mean that we will inheirt the Land that was promised to Abraham?"

Were Abraham's seeds, that is Israel, corruptible? Is the Seed of Christ Corruptible? 1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
We are not the seed of Abraham, Christ is the Seed of Abraham which makes us all of Abraham's seed. It is Christ, not Abraham. Abraham can save no one, only by his seed which is Christ are we saved.

When they said we are of our father Abraham, what was Christ's answer? Luk 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance, and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

This is the reason they Killed Jesus because He said His Father was God, not Abraham. If they had of been of Abraham they would have rejoiced to see the Day of Christ as Abraham did. They were of their father the devil.

John 8:56-58 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Their father was not Abraham or they would rejoice that Jesus was come from His Father, God.

How can Israel's earthly land be our heavenly home with Christ? It cannot.

The children of Israel are earthly, the son's of God are heavenly. Earthly and Heavenly cannot mix until Christ comes and all things are put under His feet and after all is accomplished and subdued, Christ will give all things back to the Father and He will be all in all. 1Cr 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Hebrews 6:1-3 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.

Let us seek Christ and not worry about the things of this earth and all things will be added unto us. Hebrews 6:1-3 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. And this will we do, if God permit.

Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Let us not even consider Abraham, for God will take care of him. Let us seek Christ which is in us and allow the Holy Spirit to bring Him forth through us to the world.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/4/4 22:28Profile
JaySaved

Kentucky

Re:

Phillip, I agree with all you said. I think I should have been more direct in my question. I will try it again.

If Abraham's Seed is Christ (as Galatians says) and God promised Abraham and his Seed the land in Genesis.

Does this mean that the promises given to Abraham apply to Christ and his followers or to the Jews.

Do you see where I am coming from? Some preachers say that the modern nation of Israel has a claim to the land in the middle east because God promised it to them through Abraham. But those promises are to Abraham and his Seed, which is Christ. Am I right?

Now, I am not calling for the removal of the Jews. I am not opposed to the nation of Israel, in fact I support their fight over in that region. My point is, is it biblical to say that the Nation of Israel has a 'Biblical Right' to that land through the promises God made to Abraham?

2006/4/6 14:28Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy