SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Early Church Service vs American Church Service

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Also, if anybody could point me to a church in the greater Charlotte area that meets in an open format, please let me know. And not to offend anybody, but please don't point me to any Watchman Nee/Witness Lee church/cult.

2006/4/5 17:05Profile
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

KJ,
You might see if there is an evangelical "Friends" church there. You can do this by logging on to www.quaker.org.. Let us know what you find and how you fare.

"O"

2006/4/5 18:14Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re:

Brother Dene lives in Sacramento, California. I don't know how much traveling he does, as he is not a "full-time" minister in that sense. You can always get in touch with him at [email protected]

He may be able to help you find a body in NC, and I'm sure if you tell him about your situation, he'd be happy to offer insight and any help he can. He does answer emails, too, if you give him a couple of days. Gotta love accesible ministries....

May God guide your search for true body-life.

Your brother,
D.

2006/4/6 0:52Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re: what do you think?

We hear a lot of discussion about how to "do church" in this day and age. The (supposed)restortation of New Testament fellowship is the focus of many spiritual searches and endeavors.

We are aware of the different house church movements. Many have read or at least heard of George Barna's book, "Revolution." Then there are the traditionalists who like church services in the traditional sense (buildings, order of service, hierarchy).

How do we deal with the fact that although the early church had no resemblance to the church down through the ages up until today, most of the people revered and respected and honored here on SI (Ravenhill, Tozer, etc.) function in the traditional church set-up?

We all recognize the power and purity of the church of Acts, but we also see the power of God working through the early Methodist church and Salvation Army under men like John Wesley and General William Booth. What do we think of when we think of revivals? We think of men like Charles Finney or Duncan Campbell preaching and praying, and people coming to the church house.

Perhaps our question of how to "do church" is the wrong question. We all know that our first priority must be to know God intimately. Do you think that if we get our relationship with Christ our Head (Ephesians 4:15) correct that the members of the body will come together properly?

Focusing on the church itself draws our attention from the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2), to Whom we should steadfastly look.

I guess I don't really know what I'm trying to say. Church-life is important, and the desire to fellowship with other believers in a way pleasing to God is a good thing. We all need each other (Ephesians 4:12-16, 1 Corinthians 12:12-31, Romans 12:3-5).

Allow me to quote E.M. Bounds from the first chapter of his book "Power Through Prayer":

Quote:
WE are constantly on a stretch, if not on a strain, to devise new methods, new plans, new organizations to advance the Church and secure enlargement and efficiency for the gospel. This trend of the day has a tendency to lose sight of the man or sink the man in the plan or organization. God's plan is to make much of the man, far more of him than of anything else. Men are God's method. The Church is looking for better methods; God is looking for better men. "There was a man sent from God whose name was John." The dispensation that heralded and prepared the way for Christ was bound up in that man John. "Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given." The world's salvation comes out of that cradled Son. When Paul appeals to the personal character of the men who rooted the gospel in the world, he solves the mystery of their success. The glory and efficiency of the gospel is staked on the men who proclaim it. When God declares that "the eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show himself strong in the behalf of them whose heart is perfect toward him," he declares the necessity of men and his dependence on them as a channel through which to exert his power upon the world. This vital, urgent truth is one that this age of machinery is apt to forget. The forgetting of it is as baneful on the work of God as would be the striking of the sun from his sphere. Darkness, confusion, and death would ensue.

What the Church needs to-day is not more machinery or better, not new organizations or more and novel methods, but men whom the Holy Ghost can use -- men of prayer, men mighty in prayer. The Holy Ghost does not flow through methods, but through men. He does not come on machinery, but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men -- men of prayer.

God moves through men, not through organizations (even churches) in themselves.

Let us seek the Lord earnestly on this matter. May He lead us to a right relationship to Christ Jesus and to each other.

2006/4/19 17:12Profile
pastorfrin

Re:

Naci,

Amen, and well said. John 4:23 Jesus gives us the
method of fellowship.
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit
and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to
worship Him.
When we find this place of worship, then we find
real "church". One true worshipper at a time.

His Blessings,

pastorfrin

2006/4/19 21:43Profile

Re: Early Church Service vs American Church Service

The prophetic the world over mournes this one! Its not only in America, but all over! In my opinion, the whole structure of the church needs repair if not revolution! Christ is "The head" of the Church, not any Apostle, Prophet, Pastor, or Teacher. There is a problem with control. We need to mature, let go of fear, respect God, and let Him have His way! It would be alot more exciting, and look at what might happen? "Things" would happen,like tongues, prophesies, healings. The control is killing the vitality of the Holy Spirit! I sense the Jezebel spirit is the culprit! Jezebel=control, jealousy, power, fame! May Babylon fall!

2006/4/21 16:43
Onesimus4God

Chapala, Jalisco, Mexico

Re:

Maybe we should learn how to "be" the Body of Chrsit, then the church thing would take care of itself!

"O"

2006/4/22 22:40Profile
garoldr

Re:

My Brothers and Sisters in Christ!
I have good news for you. The Bride of Jesus Christ, His Church is alive and well. Indeed, the enemy has tried to prevail against the church of Jesus Christ,by deceiving and luring people with itching ears to hear a gospel or philosophy that fits their selfish desires. These churches are liken to a business where numbers and $$$ are the most important thing to the board. Souls lost because the preachers don't contend for the faith and teach what Christ commanded, are not important to those preachers. One day at the judgement seat, they will have to answer for all those souls they misled to an eternal hell.

Sadly, these so called churches are led by preachers and deacons claiming to be holy, but living a sinful life. You see, if you claim to be holy and you sin, you're nothing but a holy sinner. You're a hypocrit! God is and requires true holiness (Heb 12:14). Confessing a few sins and then continuing to sin again and again doesn't make you holy. (Josh 24) God will not forgive your sin if you keep on sinning. Sitting in a church pew, on the board, being nice, etc. won't make you holy. (How to be holy is another topic for another day)

Well, out of many of these denominations, some have said there will be a super merger of churches...an ecumenical church. They forget the basic truth that the church of the Living God is not divide, but it is already "one" - but there are two divisions. They aren't liberal or conservative, Catholic or Protestant.
They are:
1. THE CHURCH militant and triumphant; The church that is still at war with Satan & SIN.

2. and the church that has laid down her weapons.

God's word say's He's going to have a people without spot or wrinkle; but that is up to you. He can't do the work unless you provide the vessel. One day there is going to be a gathering under the Blessed name of Jesus Christ in the New Jerusalem. Pray fervently that you find a church that will lead you to that city. When we place our feet on the shores of glory, we will recognize we are home at last...forevermore.

Lord bless you,
Gary

2006/4/22 23:53Profile
Graftedbranc

Re: Early Church Service vs American Church Service

I would suggest that the modern Church service has very little to do with the New Testament church gatherings and meetings.

Forign to the New Testament church is the professional Pastor. There were elders and leading brothers, but no professional hired "pastor".

All the beliviers functioned because the ministry was carried out not by professionals but by the joints of the rich supply and the measure of each one part. All the saints functioned in the meetings. There was no program, no entertainment, etc. but rather all the saints came to gether and the Spirit of the Risen Lord Jesus Christ as the Head was the one who officiated in the meetings.

Until Saints come out of the clergy/laity (as some have pointed out. "the docrine of the Nicolaitans") system, lay hold on the gift of God which is within them (the Spirit of the resurrected Christ) and begin to function as members of the One body of Christ, the Lord will never have what He is after. That is, a practical manifestation, His expression in His body on this earth.

Graftedbranch

2006/4/26 18:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy