SermonIndex - Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival
20 Years SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : God’s feelings

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

God’s feelings

In the old Testament God expresses his feelings towards his people in manyfold ways

We read of grief, anger, wrath, jealousy, joy. The first time God was grieved is recorded in

Gen 6:5-6 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
What a strong statement! Can we image the magnitude of almighty God’s disappointment?
God was mostly grieved throughout the history of Israel in the Old Testament. There were only rare moments when God was actually showed his joy and satisfaction. Here is one:

Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

He is described as the man of sorrows.
Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

It still bewilders me that God can bear so patiently with man for thousands of years in billions of tragedies of sin and suffering in individuals, churches, peoples and nations. Why does God allow himself to bear so much pain and grief with us man, apart from rare exceptions where we bring joy to Him?

In the New Testament God’s grief is nowhere expressed. Actually God does not communicate his feelings in the New Testamtent directly towards his people in the way he did towards Israel. It comes out through the Holy Spirit through the mouth of the apostles and Steven who express their feelings of grief, joy, anger, compassion towards the churches and people they are talking and writing to.

Christ has provided propitiation for our sin on the cross, but if man does not believe that God has done all he could and is not willing to accept that, God has no more pity, only wrath. His wrath is fully justified, and any pity would only contradict his atoning sacrifice.

These feelings are very precious, as they are imparted through the Holy Spirit from the risen savior to his servants by Him who is seated at the right hand of God. Oh would that we can partake in God’s feelings in that way. How wonderful it is to share God’s feelings for God’s people. How privileged are we, when we no longer come with out own petty issues to God but can actually share God’s burdens and joys toward his church.

Paul did not only state great truths in his letters, but he also suffered much, and he was deeply emotionally attached to the people he ministered to. Here are some scriptures to show this :

2 Cor 11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
29 Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
Gal 3:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you,
Philippians 1:8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ.
Philippians 2:26 For he (Epaphroditus) longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick.

There are many good preachers who have great learning and can teach the word with accuracy, but there are very few nowadays who actually share in Christ’s sufferings, longings, joys and anger. Are we willing to be emotionally involved in His ministry? We easily diss emotionalism as something uncontrolled, raw, and as something we need to suppress rather than express. I seriously question this. We in the western world have sadly adopted this Greek influenced low view of human emotions. Aren’t the Psalms full of strong emotions? What happened to tears? When Jesus wept, should not we? When Jesus rejoiced in Spirit, and said, “I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes” should not we?

As long as we are still complaining about brothers and sisters, coveting what others have and lusting after things of this world we cannot know the heart of God. Let us lay our lifes on the altar so that he will not only reveal truth to us but also share his precious feelings with us.

2022/11/27 17:31Profile

©2002-2023 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy