SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History :  God Waits To Give Flood Times Of Mighty Revival

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
AbideinHim

Louisiana

God Waits To Give Flood Times Of Mighty Revival

God Waits To Give Flood Times Of Mighty Revival
By Oswald J. Smith
“And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh” (Acts 2:17).
We are still living in the “last days.” This is the dispensation of the Holy Ghost. Pentecost was the birthday of the church. But if Peter could speak of Pentecost as the “last days,” then we are living in the “last hours” of the last days. This is Saturday night in the history of the church. It is the eleventh hour! Pentecost was the beginning of the “last days.” Our generation marks the approaching end of the last days. The “last hours” are upon us!
God has declared that in the “last days” He would pour out of His Spirit. That promise was partially fulfilled on the day of Pentecost. But it remains for us to see the final and complete fulfillment. Let me again remind you that this is still the dispensation of the Holy Spirit.
Have we Scripture to warrant the hope of another great outpouring of the Spirit of God as we enter the “last hours” of the last days of this age? I believe we have. It is my deep, deep conviction that God is waiting to pour out His Spirit once again, and that wherever He can find a people who will meet His conditions He will give flood tides of mighty revival. And this, the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, is, I am convinced, the greatest need of the hour!
But is this outpouring for a select few? Is it only for spiritual leaders and for men alone? By no means. Thank God, His Word is absolutely clear and conclusive.
“I will pour out of My Spirit,” He declares, “upon all flesh.” Yes! Upon old flesh and young flesh, upon rich flesh and poor flesh, upon high flesh and low flesh – “all flesh.”
“And your sons and your daughters shall prophesy…and on My servants and on My handmaidens I will pour out in those days of My Spirit; and they shall prophesy.” Not only the men but the women; not only the old but the young; not only the high but the low. Daughters will prophesy and handmaidens as well.
All May Claim a Part
It is to be a great universal outpouring for all peoples everywhere. Anyone may seek it, any church expect it. This is the solution of all problems. Not money, but the outpoured Spirit. Not how to get the attention of the people, but how to secure the operation of the Holy Ghost. Not better preaching, but Holy Ghost preaching.
“I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh.” This, my brethren, is the greatest need of the hour!

2021/12/23 2:33Profile
beloved-vern

Re: God Waits To Give Flood Times Of Mighty Revival

YES! Let it be done according to HIS Word.

2021/12/23 5:02Profile
docs

Re: Revival and then what? (edited)

I continue to get the feeling that if a mighty revival comes that touches all aspects of society that, it is believed that somehow it will cause the church and mankind to be able to bypass and navigate around the fullness of evil and wickedness that the Hebrew prophets, Jesus, and the early church predicted would engulf the world prior to and in close proximity of time to Christ's return. Christ spoke openly and clearly of a final time of time of trouble unlike any seen before just prior to His return (Matthew 24:21). He was quoting almost verbatim Daniel's prophecy regarding this same time (Daniel 12:1). Correct me if I'm wrong. I sincerely mean that. But ALL or most of the current talk of the need of revival seems to leave out mention of a coming time of trouble. Scriptural prophecy does not forecast that this present age will end on a high note for mankind. But it seems the church maybe thinks somehow a mighty and great revival will get us around this. I am for a great revival. We all should be. But scriptural reality is scriptural reality. An age ending harvest of souls is forecast to occur within the greatest time of persecution and trial the church has ever seen (Rev 7:14 etc.). The need of revival is spoken of everywhere these days, but in my opinion, it seems the other side of the same coin is virtually being ignored. Help me here. Am I wrong? Is a great revival going to make things easy for the church? Scripture does not state that. Revival can happen in the midst of growing opposition I assume. I'm just of the opinion that something seems out of balance today in the midst of all the current talk of revival. Just my thoughts. You don't have to agree. Meanwhile, I am for revival. But it seems the full counsel of God, the overall big picture, is being left out by a large part of the church in the mass volume of voices crying out for revival.

Thank you.

2021/12/24 11:46Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Amen Brother David! I agree and so does the Word.

“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.” (Isaiah 60:1)

“For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.”

Isaiah 60:2

2021/12/24 20:34Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

Amen Brother David! I agree and so does the Word.

“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you.” (Isaiah 60:1)

“For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.”

Isaiah 60:2

2021/12/24 20:42Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

There may be dark days ahead but Mt. 24:21 cannot be used as a proof text for same as it most certainly references the siege and destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD.

From Gill’s commentary (and Matthew Henry’s commentary agrees):

“For then shall be great tribulation”

This is urged as a reason for their speedy flight; since the calamity that would come upon those who should remain in the city, what through the sword, famine, pestilence, murders, robberies would

“be such as was not since the beginning of the world, to this time,
no, nor ever shall be.”

The burning of Sodom and Gomorrha, the bondage of the children of Israel in Egypt, their captivity in Babylon, and all their distresses and afflictions in the times of the Maccabees, are nothing to be compared with the calamities which befell the Jews in the siege and destruction of Jerusalem. Great desolations have been made in the besieging and at the taking of many famous cities, as Troy, Babylon, Carthage but none of them are to be mentioned with the deplorable case of this city. Whoever reads Josephus's account will be fully convinced of this; and readily join with him, who was an eyewitness of it, when he says {m}, that

``never did any city suffer such things, nor was there ever any generation that more abounded in malice or wickedness.''
And indeed, all this came upon them for their impenitence and infidelity, and for their rejection and murdering of the Son of God; for as never any before, or since, committed the sin they did, or ever will, so there never did, or will, the same calamity befall a nation, as did them.

2021/12/24 22:21Profile
deogloria

Re:

"The need of revival is spoken of everywhere these days, but in my opinion, it seems the other side of the same coin is virtually being ignored..."

Yes it always depends who we listen to and what scripture we use. Based on my overall understanding of Scripture and the times we live in now, I also believe that very very difficult times are ahead of us before Christ returns. I'm not going into deep details, just a few verses and thoughts:

Matthew 24:36 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark.…
During the days of Noah people were completely ignorant of Noah's preaching and not many were saved.

1 Timothy 4:1Now the Spirit expressly states that in later times some will abandon the faith to follow deceitful spirits and the teachings of demons, 2influenced by the hypocrisy of liars, whose consciences are seared with a hot iron.

"A recent survey conducted by the Barna Group, a leading research organization whose focus is on the relationship of faith and culture, found that less than 1 percent of the young adult population in the United States has a biblical worldview. Even more startling, the data shows that less than one half of one percent of Christians between the ages of 18 and 23 has a biblical worldview."

"The Fuller study also found that most church youth programs tend to focus on providing entertainment and pizza rather than building up young people in their faith. As a result, teens are ill-equipped to face the challenges they will encounter upon leaving home..." (from Got Questions.org)
Adult believers feeding our youth now with entertainment and pizza rather then with the Word of God.

It is most important that we prepare ourselves spiritually for what is yet to come

Markus

2021/12/25 4:35Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

I think both views are right. There will be coming a revival but amidst great darkness and persecution.

The revival will prepare us for persecution, the persecution following the revival will refine before we meet the Lord.

This reminds me of the parable of the 10 virgins.

The brides resemble the church who believes in Christ (Jews and Gentiles).
All of them waited but all fell asleep - that is all of us!
The cry is made by the friends of the bridgegroom, the true prophets of today who call for repentance.
The lamp is the word of God, the oil is the Holy Spirit.
The lamp will not burn without the oil, nor can the oil be burned without the lamp. Word and Spirit must work hand in hand.
At midnight - that is now - the church wakes up - that will hopefully happen very soon, only half of them are prepared to meet the bridegroom.

They wake up and go out to meet their bridegroom. They trim their lamps, make amendments, and on their way half of them make a shocking discovery, they have no oil!

The difference in the first group of virgins, which I will number from 1 to 5 is the midnight oil, which is the supply of the Holy Spirit for those who ask. This midnight oil must be burned in your private and quiet devotions when you pray to the Lord. It will be continuously supplied as it burns. When it runs out, you must ask, ask, ask and ask and the supply continues. Over time, you will build up a little treasury of supply of the golden oil of the Holy Spirit, which you will need to go out and meet the bridge groom.

So who are the foolish virgins No 6-10 who had no oil?

No. 6 They were taught by preachers, who teach the trinity of Father, Son and Holy Bible. You do not need an extra baptism of the Holy Spirit; you get it at conversion, period. They pride themselves as being true servants of the word but forbid speaking in tongues and prophesying and always warn about the excesses and errors of those who go the extremes. All you need is good bible teaching, going to the meetings and be good.

No. 7 They may have started in the Spirit, as the Galatians, but then were corrupted by those who brought them back under the law. Then it was Judaism, today it can be a teaching ministry that brings them under some sort of bondage, which can be system of theology, Jewish roots, Sabbath observance, and the like.

No. 8 where those who just sit passively in the pew and swallow everything down and pride yourself to "sit under" a preacher with great learning and a remarkable oratory gift. They are taught 99% correct doctrine, but they are just consuming it without ever bringing fruit for themselves.

No 9. Maybe they have started in the Spirit, but thren saw the excesses in the charismatic movement and became cynical and always point out their faults, but no longer seek intimacy with the Lord.

No. 10 Were those who went to a good church with good teaching, godly leaders, lovely saints and they received a lot of good, but never bothered to have their own walk with the Lord but rather went with the people around them. They were in the meetings, participated in good deeds, but were just too lazy to get into the habit of burning the midnight oil themselves.

Seeing their folly, they looked for a way to buy oil, which is absurd, as this oil is not for sale but only for those who ask.

They were all virgins, not prostitutes, they kept themselves pure, waited for the Lord and did not participate in sinful activity. Unfortunately, this is not enough. Half of them missed out on the midnight oil and forfeited their marriage.

2021/12/25 12:01Profile
docs

Re:

/There may be dark days ahead but Matthew 24;21 cannot be used as a proof text for same as it most certainly references the siege and destruction of Jerusalem in 70 AD./

There is a characteristic to much of Hebrew prophecy that a fulfillment will take place of that which has been prophesied but yet come short of a total and comprehensive fulfillment. Later, often in the distant future, a complete and exhaustive fulfillment will take place. In keeping with this proven characteristic of Hebrew prophecy, acknowledged by many commentators and scholars, why have we come full circle and once again Jerusalem is again occupied by unbelieving Jews surrounded by hostile armies intent on its destruction? We are among the first Christian generations in almost 2,000 years to see this prophetic phenomena. The same scenario as 70 AD and a more exhaustive fulfillment of prophecy regarding Jerusalem and the Jewish people is now possible once again after so long. Plus, Jesus' prophetic discourse in Matthew 24 ends in His second coming at the last trumpet (Matt 24:29-31)seen in Matthew 24:31 compared with I Corinthians 15:51-52. The resurrection is linked closely in time to the sequence of events during the final time of trouble.

In Jesus' mention of an unprecedented time of trouble just prior to His second coming, He was quoting almost word for word Daniel's prophecy in Daniel 12:1. Daniel 12:2 speaks of the physical resurrection from the dead. Gill agrees with this as he associates these verses, Daniel 12:1-2, as occurring in the time of the beast and the final persecution of Jews and Christians (the time of never before seen trouble) and then the resurrection. Matthew Henry seems to take a more spiritual approach to these verses. At any rate,it is "after the tribulation" (Matthew 24:29) of those days that Christ comes and the righteous dead are raised. So Matthew 24 clearly awaits a future and more exhaustive fulfillment which ends the age and ushers in Christ's second coming and the physical resurrection. It cannot be properly understood without giving the words of Daniel their strategic place in the overall picture. A time of trouble such as never seen occurs in close proximity of time to the resurrection of the dead. The time of trouble in Daniel 12:1 is immediately followed by the resurrection in Daniel 12:2.

"At that time Michael shall stand up, the great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people; And there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation, even to that time. And AT THAT TIME YOUR PEOPLE SHALL BE DELIVERED." (Daniel 12:1)

When and how were Daniel's people delivered in 70 AD? History shows just the opposite if I am correct.

When were the dead resurrected in 70 AD?

Among other things, as the unbelieving world, and parts of the believing church, will increasingly throw Israel to the curb, I believe part of the the opposition to the Christian church and outright persecution will be because large portions of the church will be committed to and stand with the Jewish people and nation in their coming darkest hour of need. This time of unprecedented trouble affecting the entire globe, will end the age and usher in Christ's return. It's my opinion, based on the scriptural witness, that no amount of revival, as much as it is needed and as much as a God send as it will be, is going to be able to navigate around this. This is what I believe is being left out of much of today's talk of revival.

2021/12/27 4:44Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: I think both views are right. There will be coming a revival but amidst great darkness and persecution.

I have got to think 2nd world war here - a evil axis will arise...

No doubt war of any kind will bring darkness if you'll look at Rev 6:7 You'll find that 1/4 of the world population is going to die +/- 2 billion people dead.

The beast empire is said to be a 10 nation alliance with the main focus of operations in the middle east - so persecution may not be a world wide event.

My expectation would be for a Islamic caliphate to rise with dreadful persecutions in the middle east - with suicide attacks in other parts of the world like what we saw during when ISIS was trying to set itself up.

2021/12/27 8:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy