SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : On this Day, 4005 B.C.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

On this Day, 4005 B.C.

October 23, 4005 BC is the day the Earth was created, per James Ussher.

2020/10/23 8:09Profile

Re: On this Day, 4005 B.C.

Look on the bright side Todd.

For those who do a date aspire
To lesser minds in foolish gain
Doth give these mockers all in vain
A strength to end of time to make
And in that strength a hidden misery

Refused the date of dawning time
It is the very man they wrest to make
And in that man of Eden comes
A creature from the trees to take
And thereby ruined house to stumble all

ܡܫܚܐ

2020/10/23 9:28
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Whoa. Too deep for me.

Happy birthday universe!

2020/10/23 10:09Profile

Re:

Well dear brother, seeing as I wrote the bard just for yourself in response to your post about Bishop Ussher it seems somewhat remiss if I were not to address your point one time asking me to be plain in speech and not so obtuse. And in that regard I am assuming by all reasonable means that by obtuse you intend to mean rather annoying or insensitive.

And that dear brother is the fault. Neither mine nor yours but the very stuff of language.

So if we therefore, assume that sensitivity to others is a good quality and that this corresponds to the love of God, as some require it to mean, are we not at risk of being endlessly misunderstood? If we are seen to be insensitive and thus provide a need to insult, are we not seen as argumentative and divisive?

It seems to myself at least that the only way to be sensitive to others as God is full of mercy and love, is to know God in the spirit made alive in Christ and thus resist endless speculations arising out of a necessity to being sensitive when sensitivity in that meaning is mere psychological empathetic intelligence.

And that it seems to myself, again, is what the Pope is about in his utterances on homosexual matters.

It is for this reason and effect that when I insisted on buying pews for the church two years ago I had to explain myself so that in time those who wanted a modern church and saw pews as a retrograde step would become wise. I asked them what the pew symbolised. Then explained that it speaks of fathers and mothers and children. I asked if the homosexual man or woman comes into our midst where will they sit if our seats are set to families of fathers, mothers and children? And suggested that they could sit with any family that would be so compassionate to love them and open their seat to them and to do so out of mercy seeing as we abhor their conduct and reject their manner of life according to God.

The bard dear brother speaks this:

If we take a date for the beginning of time and loose hope in our forefathers of the Spirit who gave us a firm hope in Christ then like our forbears of the flesh we will also lose hope in God because we will see ourselves swinging from the trees onto our feet and thence to evolution and thence to no measure of time and no hope in the Lord' return because we have lost hope in the Word of God.

Just saying Bro.....

ܡܫܚܐ

2020/10/23 11:17
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I did get the gist of your poem but I appreciate the interpretation.

Regardless of how old I think the earth is, I still do not believe we evolved from simians.

The main reason for my post was that while I knew that Ussher (and others of course) believe the universe is around 6000 years old, I didn’t realize he went so far as to put an exact date on it. I just learned that this morning. That’s pretty impressive.

2020/10/23 12:36Profile

Re:

And in almost every textbook in Geology he is mocked ruthlessly because of it.

I suppose that is the effect of holding to a seeming biblical account. There is also the gap theories which Watchman Nee utilises. He was a Chemist by training and so no one could accuse him of not being a rationalist or of not having a scientific iterative mind of reason. His book The Mystery of Creation makes his case.

For myself I have seen people literally lose their minds trying to find a way of addressing the issue of the age of the rocks and thus of the earth. When I have been ministering to them in their lost minds what I have found is that Satan has slipped into their thinking a sense of reality predicated on supernatural reason and sensibilities rather than them holding onto a true revelation of Christ.

I share this problem and its answer as entering into an Athenian Library. Which I speak into and ask how we would feel if we were at once found in a great library in Athens in the time of the platonic philosophers. Tens of thousands of scrolls and all the substance of the thinking of every great man in the ancient world at our finger tips. Yet suddenly reasoning that in order to read even one scroll one would have to learn Classical Greek. And what then of the library after years of study, just to gain the medium of comprehension? How many books could we read in a lifetime?

Yet the profound truth is that when we came to Christ did we not receive the entire knowledge of God in Him? Did we not receive His mind? We call that the new creature and so if we are to lay hold of that as a living reality we must also be delivered from the old man. Just one true encounter with Christ by the Holy Spirit in the will of the Father is the same as learning every book and knowing every fact.

It is all passing away. Unlike the soul that is an indestructible life. I don't suppose that too many true believers hold to a theory of evolution. Countless others do. Yet they are perishing and we have life. How is that that we have life and know all things in the Spirit yet others perish for a lack of true knowledge?

ܡܫܚܐ

2020/10/23 13:35
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

//Just one true encounter with Christ by the Holy Spirit in the will of the Father is the same as learning every book and knowing every fact.//

If you could explain this a little more I would appreciate it. Obviously you don’t mean that all of sudden we are polymaths if we have a true encounter with Christ.

You may be saying we will know all that matters- but I am not 100% sure.

2020/10/23 14:48Profile

Re:

In simplicity I am saying that we will know all that matters by knowing Christ. And yet that is not nearly sufficient to know what knowing Christ as He is and knowing how that corresponds to learning every book and knowing every fact means, by knowing Christ. But the qualification must be by the will of the Father through the Holy Spirit to know Christ as He is.

I feel sure that others who have posted on SermonIndex in the last week and who have posted simple illuminating quotes from the pages of the books written by the Lord' servants, as well, sisters who have posted great songs written by other sisters, expressing the same true meaning, could also share if they have a leading to do so.

For myself, Todd, I am likely to take you into a place that will first pull down the evil pride of life before you see the simplicity of knowing Christ according to the Father in heaven and how that true revelation of the Spirit is all that is needful for any man or woman to truly serve God and to do so with the benefit of the full faculty of their minds to the measure that their minds are able - if that means that they also take a living from working in the sciences.

Please believe me brother that I am not saying this to be contentious or to pontificate neither to remove or demean your faith and the love with which you love Christ. It is simply that we live in an exceptional time and we are headed for a truly appalling reality the like of which seems to be clear to us by some measure of sound doctrine or else by experience, just as you yourself do not deny the darkness that is increasing, yet when we speak of darkness do we truly know what that means?

You would imagine that were you to have in your possession that witness of the Father, by the Spirit of His Son the Lord Jesus Christ in the manner and the meaning which is being spoken of in these words then you would already know the true character of the times we live in and not simply that things are growing darker.. To that effect of knowing, it would not be possible to casually or amusingly, in a public place, speak easily about those effects that are now upon us - which have always been upon us since the time of the apostles, and yet are now coming to fruition in our sight.

I was just speaking with a younger brother who I am in ministry with, he is a mathematician and an engineer - as well a teacher and a pastor in his calling. By all those means he is able to serve God by serving others and yet it is his pastoral calling that requires him to lay hold of the revelation of Christ by a sharp two edged sword because he cannot receive it by reason. Yet I know many brethren who have laid hold of this mystery in an instant of time. They have run a straight course until they have once again forgot their first love and have thereby lost sight of Christ. The one who labours to that end of harming the Lord' servants is Satan.

It is also needful to say that we all know that wicked one because by Christ we comprehend that he is against God. What we do not see is that it is not possible to be truly against God until we have first known God. It is that fact which ought to most sober us up and cause us to flee to the Father and seek refuge in Christ at His right hand. And if we do sense its meaning then we ought to also understand that it is the evil pride of life that most inclines us to his cause even though we would not that it were so. The only remedy that the Father has given us to address that fact of the flesh and the heart of pride - be it a man of intellect or a man of beauty or great speech - is the Cross unto death.

In truth, brother, I have answered your question.

ܡܫܚܐ

2020/10/23 16:42

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy