SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Who weeps anymore? Leonard Ravenhill

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

Who weeps anymore? Leonard Ravenhill

Who Weeps Anymore?

By Leonard Ravenhill (1907 – 1994)

The church as we know it today seems a million miles from the New Testament church. That may be a great generalization, but I will stand on it. There is a gulf between our average Christianity and the church of the New Testament that makes the Grand Canyon look like a cavity in someone’s tooth.

What is it that is missing from our churches? To use an Old Testament term, it is the burden of the Lord. One of the tragedies of the hour is that the voice of the prophet is no longer heard in the land. Where is the lamenting for the lost? Isaiah was a man heavily burdened for his people and their sin. So was Jeremiah; his concern for the people caused him to weep day and night.

The last revival mentioned in the Old Testament is found in the Book of Joel. The Prophet Joel proclaimed a solemn assembly and said, “Let the priests, the ministers of the Lord, weep between the porch and the altar...” (Joel 2:17). Well, let’s face it, who weeps anymore?

We need a revival in the church, but we make a big mistake in placing the burden for revival on the pew. As I read the Scripture, God puts it on the pulpit. We need preachers who are eternity-conscious, who come to the pulpit bowed with the sin of the world, yes, and perhaps the sin of the congregation. Instead, we have someone coming along saying, “Look, just kneel here for five minutes and this is what you will get: your name in the Lamb’s Book of Life, a mansion on Main Street, a five-decker crown, rule over five cities, and a free ticket to the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.”

I yearn to hear a voice that declares God’s judgment on the godlessness he sees around him. Where is the denominational leader who has the Gospel boiling in his veins as Jeremiah did in chapter twenty? Many of our preachers seem incapable of being volcanic. Many sermons have become religious entertainment and move no one to tears of repentance.

The true prophet of God is not concerned first of all about the nation, or even about the church. He is concerned that God is insulted openly; that God’s laws are broken; that God’s Son is rejected, and this in a land that is seemingly saturated with the Gospel. Yet every day millions of sins are committed; the name of Jesus is taken in vain a million times; and all the while the country is inundated with religious messages.

Remember, Sodom had no preachers; Sodom had no gospel broadcasters. America has thousands of radio stations and a number of them, at some time in the day, carry a gospel program. But how many listen to it? The lights are flashing in the world around us; our civilization is on the edge of disaster and only a heartbeat from judgment; but who is warning us?

When Alexander Maclaren was called to the pulpit of a great Baptist church in Manchester, England, he sat down with his deacons and said, “Gentlemen, there is one matter to settle before I take this position. Do you want my head or my feet? You can have one or the other, not both. I can run around doing this and that and drinking tea, if you wish me to; but don’t expect me to bring you something that will shake this city.” God does not call men into the pulpit to become Jacks-of-all-trades to run errands. He calls them to get on their faces before Him. Dr. Maclaren’s deacons got the message; but who gets on his face before God today?

When I speak to preachers as I have done frequently in recent years, I tell them, “You have nothing to do biblically except to fulfill Acts 6 by giving yourselves continually to the ministry of the Word and to prayer.” In writing to the Thessalonians the Apostle Paul said, “I am praying night and day.” What was he praying for? Not for a lost world or for the overthrow of the Roman Empire. He said, “I am praying night and day that I may see your face and supply that which is lacking in your faith” (1 Thes. 3:10). They had faith but it was deficient. It is the pastor’s task to supply that lack.

The burden of the Lord in the Old Testament was not for the Amalekites, Hittites, Perizzites or Jebusites; God’s chief concern was Israel. In the same way not a single epistle in the New Testament was addressed to the lost; every letter was addressed to Christians. Dr. Orton Wiley points out that the Epistle to the Hebrews contains not one word for lost men and women. Why? Because only a church strong in faith, a revived church, can be used of God to reach the lost.

The sickness of the church, I believe, is twofold. First, we have taught people to witness and to work but we have not taught them to worship. Christians will not take the time before God to see Him in glory and majesty and holiness. I know preachers who think nothing of taking three days for elk or duck hunting, but who do not care enough about human souls to get down and fast and pray and seek the face of God. I know deacons who begin to fidget if the Sunday service runs five minutes overtime because they want to hurry home to watch the ballgame. How do they think they will stand it in eternity?

The second cause of the church’s sickness is that the prayer meeting has become almost obsolete. I have visited some of the famous churches of the world and have discovered a curious thing about the mid-week service. Two-thirds of the average “prayer meeting” (if it is held at all) is actually a Bible study. A prayer or two is added at the end, and that is it. Paul said that he travailed in prayer. Are we greater than Paul? He said, “I travail in birth” (Gal. 4:19). I do not believe a man has a right to preach on the text “You must be born again” unless he has first “travailed in birth” that people can be born again.

Some pastors tell me that theirs is a New Testament church. Let me describe a New Testament church from Acts 4: the people went to church every day; they prayed every day; they broke bread every day; they brought souls to the Lord every day. Every deacon in that New Testament church was separated and tested to see if he was full of faith and the Holy Spirit.

What, then, is the burden of the Lord for today? He is concerned for sinners who are rebels, who have their fist up against God. He is concerned for preachers, that they should preach His judgment. And He is concerned for His church, the bride for whom He is coming. People ask me sometimes, “Are these the last days?” and I tell them, “No.” I think we are in the last minutes of this dispensation, or maybe in the last seconds as God counts time.

And yet – if I could, I would like to call together thousands of preachers in different countries of the world to spend a week in prayer for renewal. I would like to see them given instruction in prayer; not seminars on prayer, mind you, but exhortation to pray. We would spend the whole week praying, with periodic breaks. I believe this could be a detergent in the life of the church. It would be a cleansing process. We could go back to our churches and perhaps stave off judgment, and God would usher in the revival that must come. Before Jesus comes I am convinced that we will see a great, sweeping Pentecost that will out-Pentecost Pentecost. God will pour out His Spirit on all flesh, as Joel said. Our sons and daughters will prophesy. God will produce a race of spiritual giants for the last mighty ingathering. Today God has these leaders hidden, but in the great Day of the Lord He will bring them to light, and the last shall be first. I pray that day will come soon.

– Taken from America Is Too Young To Die by Leonard Ravenhill. Copyright © 1979, 2012 by Offspring Publishers (offspringpublishe

2020/9/29 20:41Profile
wombat1

Melbourne

Re: Who weeps anymore? Leonard Ravenhill

I also feel deeply burdened by the empty prayer meetings and the hollow backslapping blessing focused preaching in my group the pentecostals.

Ravenhill should not be the one who alone points to how things should be, but rather just the average preacher. Clearly he was not a preacher as in the sense of holding the office of the "pastor", but rather probably that of the prophet.

The day Ravenhill longs for is coming. Imagine in Isaiah, where the Lord is using Isaiah to address the daughters of Zion and calling them whores who will face destruction, now imagine that this is the state of the church today. Isaiah did show that the destruction was not complete but that there was a faithful remnant.

Later in the book after the emergence of the faithful servant the woman repents, becomes both a bride and a mother. This I believe is just in front of us, a day when a" sweeping pentecost will out pentecost pentecost".

The cost to leave the smoke machine entertainment focus will be high, but the anointing will return, the prayer meetings will be so full you'll need to get in early. I recall days like this in the late 60's.

After repentance we will need to prepare ourselves in the secret place as the bride adorns herself in preparation for the marriage

blessings Oskar

2020/9/30 7:56Profile
Washad1

Re:

Thank you for posting this reminder. It challenged me today. Of course, Bro. Ravenhill would say "the question isn't were you challenged. The question is were you changed?"
Only time will tell but this was truly a word in due season for me and I am sure for others as well.

2020/9/30 16:13Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

AMEN. and Amen. Oskar. Blessings to you also.
Thank you for replying to the post..

After repentance we will need to prepare ourselves in the secret place as the bride adorns herself in preparation for the marriage
I am believing for a third great awakening. I see His Bride awakening. I am blessed to be an intercessor and am involved with prayer meetings.. May there be vicarious repentance and a revival of prayer like on the Return.. Send the fire LORD send the Fire Lord..May His anointing fall up us as we repent and seek HIS face.. Let the Fire fall Let the Glory come down in JESUS name.
Sister Frannie

2020/10/1 20:42Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

Bless u..
Thank y ou for replying.

I love Brother Ravenhill and we all need to challenge each other.. Our swords need to be sharpened. There I believe is a shift coming.. We need to be ready..
I am always challenged by the old writers. I want to be challenged more and more in JESUS name.
Bless u
Sister Frannie

2020/10/1 20:45Profile
scotsbaker

England.

Re: Leonard Ravenhill Quote

Just wanted to add an item of hope concerning prayer and coming revival. I live in England, so can only give a perspective from there.

As the bible teaches, preparation for a task can happen over many years. From my own life I can offer the following glimmer of hope in the Lord.

Introductory Note: all the words/replies from the Lord I quote below were written down by me on the spot, at home, as I heard them. So they are the actual words God spoke at that time. I am now 75, so there is hope for seniors to be used in later years! Remember Moses started at 80!

By way of background, some 15 years ago (2005 - when I was 60) I was in the bath with my bible having a soak and reading John the Baptist’s words: “He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and fire”. After getting out of the bath, suddenly, out of the blue, the presence of the Lord came upon me and I found myself desperately and agonisingly pleading for his holy fire – “I MUST HAVE THE FIRE”. This agonising prayer came from the inmost depths of my being and was definitely the most gut wrenching and heart agonising prayer I have ever prayed in all my 35 years as a Christian. Prior to this it had never entered my head to pray for the fire. That event appeared at the time to be a “one-off” intervention by God and my life went on as before.

5 years later (2010) when we had our inaugural training evening for our Healing Team, the priest who did the training then privately gave some of us some “words”. One of the things he said to me was: “The Lord is assigning angels to you and they will act on your words”. To say I was taken aback was no exaggeration but, as you do, I filed this under the “what? I can’t believe that!” category and forgot about it.

In early 2014 the Lord told me to do a three day fast (no food, just water) and spoke to me about fasting: “Keep seeking after me. I spoke to you about fasting because by doing this you will hear my voice more clearly. You will get to know me better and fasting will enable you to bring your passions and acts of your will under control. By doing this I will be able to use you more and our relationship will be strengthened. I have never stopped loving you and I never will. You are the apple of my eye. Seek me with all your heart and I will draw you closer to me”.

During the fast I had a bad cold and felt I had failed in not maximising the fast time. The Lord said: “Trust me in the plans I have for you. Nothing catches me by surprise, so be re-assured of that. I have enjoyed your worship time with Me and your meeting Me in My word. You haven’t failed in your fast. There will be more opportunities for us to share time together in the future. My plans are many and varied and can adapt to every circumstance. Be encouraged; I do not condemn you in any way. I am your Lord and I always seek to build you up, never to condemn. Keep seeking Me with all your heart in the days ahead and I will strengthen you in your walk with Me. I am pleased with you because I love you and live in your heart. We will share many times together in the future and I will draw you apart to be with me often. Again I say: be encouraged!”

He also said around that time: “Trust me, you are on the right track and are going on the journey I have long planned for you. Before the foundation of the earth I knew you and planned your journey of faith with Me. We have a long road still to go and many miles to travel. Always endure with me until you arrive at the goal of your life – union with Me. There will be difficulties, hardships and testings along the way. The way to enter life is through such things. I will bring you to hard testing, that your faith might be shown to be gold, pure gold, that will endure and shine brightly”.

I said to the Lord: ”Lord I know many faltered and failed along the way – Solomon for example, and also Jehu. Lord, I’ll need to know your nearness all the time, to get through the future!” He replied: “Jesus is your example. Look to Him every time. He withstood every test and trial. He sought me with great longings and sighings and I met His every need. I will do the same for you if you take the same path He did. I treat all my children equally – there are no favourites”.

One day I said “Lord, is there anything you want to say to me today? He replied: ”My child, I have prepared the way for you to work mightily in my name. Everything you need I have given you – it is yours. You just need to walk in it. I have assigned angels to assist you in My Kingdom work and they long and look forward to acting in My Name on your behalf. Trust me in this and you will soon see the fruits of our work together. Spend much time in prayer throughout the day and I will prepare you for what lies ahead. Then you will be fully prepared to do the works I give you to do. Fear not, you will lack nothing. You will be clothed with power and walk in my ways”. (Confirmation here of angels being assigned to me, as prophesied by the priest as stated above!)

Then in March 2014 I heard the Lord say in the night “baptise by fire”. I asked him the next day for insight and revelation about this and he said:
“ You have read the words of John the Baptiser :”He will baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire”. My word is being fulfilled in your day. I have chosen you to be a carrier of my fire to many people. Many will seek you out and seek my fire. Do not get puffed up in this or I will be displeased. As you plead with me for my fire I will put it upon you in growing measure day by day. It will not be an easy process. It will require dedication on your part to continually seek me and my fire. I do not give my fire lightly. Carriers of my fire run a holy race and you must continually remain submitted to me. My fire is holy and must be respected.”

I asked the Lord when this process would begin, and he replied:
“ It is not for you to know dates or times. I am preparing all things for my people according to my plan and my timescale. Your part for now is to cry out to me repeatedly to receive my fire. As you cry out I will hear and I will answer. The fire will burn you up and you will no longer be your own. I will possess you and carry out my plans and purposes through you”.
I said “Lord, who am I that I should be chosen?”
God said: “You are dearly loved by me and My Father. All who surrender fully to me are loved by us, and the Father and I pour out our Spirit on the surrendered ones. Again I say, do not get puffed up. Rejoice rather that many will be touched and consumed by my fire and My Kingdom will be advanced. Many will be carriers of my fire in this day. Wait patiently for my timing”.

Sadly, to my shame, this conversation went out of my mind for several years more, until a few weeks ago, that is some 6 years later.

By August this year I was back on track, fasting and praying and listening for the Lord but seeing and hearing nothing much happening, so I said: “Why am I not hearing your voice regularly, despite fasting and praying?” He replied: “Write down what I’m going to say to you”.

He said ”You are not yet ready for what I want to say to you. I love the efforts you have been making to hear my voice and get close to my heart. You are making good progress in your internal life with me. Wait and persevere so that I might do a complete work in you. Do not be downcast or upset at the seeming lack of progress. In due time you will burst forth like a flower coming into bloom and all will see my beauty through you. Persevere, persevere, persevere!

Then, on 23 September this year the Lord said:
“Because you are preparing yourself for ministry in my name I am bestowing on you my righteousness and holiness. This will be manifested in you as you walk in my ways and minister to those I am bringing to you. Do not turn anyone away, because they will have been sent by me for you to minister to.

There will be many who will seem unsuitable and not the type of person you expect. Nevertheless, my ways are higher and so you must work according to my plans.
This will happen sooner than you think since I am bringing things rapidly to a conclusion. The world is changing very fast and your old ways are passing away, never to return. Brothers and sisters will be meeting you from many backgrounds and your life experience will be radically altered. Keep praying to me for the strength you need and for the holy fire that will surround you and consume you.

You will be used to minister my presence and my holy fire to those who seek after me and my truth and righteousness. Some will come for other reasons and I will give you the ability to discern motives. Do not judge people who will come, as my love is available and freely given to all, irrespective of motive”. Now the scary bit! He continued: ”I will take responsibility for my Kingdom work and your hands and the hands of others must not touch it or interfere with it, otherwise there will be a penalty to pay and I do not wish to administer discipline unless you are wayward in this task. Be faithful and do not give up or delay in acting on what I give you to do”.

I am still in the preparation stage as I write this, so am still waiting for the Lord to fulfil His work in me and through me. I am pleading for His strength to carry this.

2020/10/13 10:54Profile

Re:

I am still in the preparation stage as I write this, so am still waiting for the Lord to fulfil His work in me and through me. I am pleading for His strength to carry this.

email me:

admin@rhomphæam.ch

ܡܫܚܐ⁩

2020/10/13 11:54
wombat1

Melbourne

Re:

I could not be more excited by your response Frannie. It has been a long time since I was here, however I feel at home. I am so in need of returning to prayer myself.

I am in Alice Springs the centre of Australia and spoke to several men about what I believe God is going to do here. So many churches obviously all divided and I felt that the Lord wants to unite them in truth.

To one church I challenged that God is going to call the ministry to get right before him and part of this is the willingness to lay it down and see what God raises up. No reply. I worry not about what I see or hear but about how I respond.

The next discussion again revolved around God doing something new, sovereign, not revival but reformation and unity of doctrine. Again with the division of those who will submit to his will in this move and those who cling to the old. The message today in this church was the goats and the sheep. One of the leaders came to me and said later that Pharasees got it wrong, I felt the barb. But that we may be surprised to see people in heaven who had done lots of good works but never accepted Christ.

I was informed that the denominations were there for a purpose by one of the leaders in direct response to my belief God is going to melt away what is here for those who would respond. I described myself as Charismatic which is what they would understand and one old chap said he had been used of the Lord for healing in the Charismatic years, healing of cancer and of hearing bunions falling off feet. I felt encouraged to encourage him.

In the meeting was the children's time and I saw a message of how to get to heaven, by plane? no. By Rocket? no, but by the cross. This older lady had the message of truth that was denied by the leader I spoke to.

On the way to the service, I was riding my bike passed a dried river bed, which rarely ever flows in this desert country. I was considering why I could not call down the rain, and if I did, would it be out of the Lords will or would it cause devastation. As I pondered my starving state before God, I saw a raging torrent of blue water flowing like rapids. A beautiful blue whilst at the same time I then saw the rain descending slow soft bluish drops, all of which represents the anointing of the Holy Spirit in this place.

When I dont know, however I felt the freedom recently that I dont need to worry or be anxious, as its not about me, I dont have to do anything, by myself.

I know this is tangential to this wonderfull topic but I was told when I was a young teenager that I would not be brought into function until late in life. I was also told not to be envious of others raised up early. I am pretty relaxed about it today but that does not stop the fire from burning or the knowledge of what is coming.

Remember me in your intercession please Frannie. I need wisdom to proceed or silence which I have no mastery over.

Lastly I know its not the season however I get a very strong sense of resurrection like at Easter. I had it the last few days and caught sight of a display of the empty grave whilst at this church today. No need for the confirmation however as it has been surprising and strong enough to recognise its not easter whilst still feeling it.

Sorry I did not respond to your post specifically, yes there is the third awakening, which is typified by the third feast of Israel, Tabernacles. It celebrates the completion of the walk to full maturity in Christ. As I say to my pentecostal friends, the feast of Pentecost celebrates arrival and the revelations that took place at Mt Sinia.

If you are not aware of the teaching you are aware of the process and the outcome. Sinia was arrived at after 50 days journey on what should have been a 120 day journey. Being baptised in the spirit is less than halfway. The plans that were given are more like a road map for the journey, into the desert to die to self. The end of that journey like the image of Zion in Isaiah is one of the marriage. it does not take place at passover and certainly not at pentecost. Few like Elisha will leave the 50- Pente, sons of the prophets and follow their master into the desert.
But its the only place where the double portion anointing comes.

blessings from down under, Oskar.

2020/11/22 12:41Profile

Re:

Dear Brother Oskar,

You said:

“When I dont know, however I felt the freedom recently that I dont need to worry or be anxious, as its not about me, I dont have to do anything, by myself.

I know this is tangential to this wonderfull topic but I was told when I was a young teenager that I would not be brought into function until late in life. I was also told not to be envious of others raised up early. I am pretty relaxed about it today but that does not stop the fire from burning or the knowledge of what is coming.”

It was so refreshing to read your testimony!!

There is a reality about His life inside you that just “is”....and it sounds like you are increasingly peaceful waiting on Him for any outworking to come forth, in his timing, in his way, as the Spirit leads.

Love you brother! Thank you for sharing!

2020/11/22 12:55
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

"When I dont know, however I felt the freedom recently that I dont need to worry or be anxious, as its not about me, I dont have to do anything, by myself."

Hello Brother from down under.
Thank you for the response to my post..I am only on this forum when the Holy Spirit tells me I believe.
I was nudged by the Holy Spirit to get on here today and here is this response.. In response to your quote...
Im blessed to pray for you and if u ever need prayer feel free to email me.. its on my profile..
As an intercessor I have learned most importantly to depend on the HOLY SPIRIT.. HE WILL NUDGE OR MOVE ME TO call or move.. He doesn't tell me anymore just nudges. or gives me an impression then I say What do u want me to DO LORD??. There is such a Blessing for OBEDIENCE>. CHECK OUT THE WORD OBEDIENCE>.
die to YOU LIVE TO HIM. I HAD a DEAR INTERCESSOR Mary who is now with the great cloud of witnesses she would tell me over and over
THIS IS WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT..
GAL 2:20“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
OBEY Whatever HE TELLS U.. I love JESUS I'm accountable for my OBEDIENCE ONLY MINE.. NO ONE ELSES. When the BOOKS are open.. I WILL BE THERE JUDGED ALONE.. MAY HE FIND US FAITHFUL AND OBEDIENT
FATHER TOUCH YOUR SON..Oskar,
I declare and decree the fire of GOD to fall upon Him break all hindering spirits and stir Him UP.. FRESH WIND OF THE HOLY SPIRIT OVER HIM.. I declare and decree the Angels of GOD you have for HIM according to Psa 91:11 Give HIS ANGELS CHARGE OVER HIM.. Help Him Holy Spirit WIND WIND BLOW ON HIM WHEREVER HE HIS WAKE HIM UP WITH YOUR AGENDA AND YOUR HEART.. HELP him remember We overcome Him by the BLOOD OF THE LAMB AND THE WORD OF OUR TESTIMONY IN JESUS NAME>. Rev 12:11 I pray in Faith in the mighty name of JESUS in the power of the HOLY GHOST.
iN Christ
Sister Frannie

2020/11/22 20:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy