SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is the Bible really the inerrant Word of God?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 Next Page )
PosterThread
MSeaman

Michigan

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
...and this is one of my favorites!

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

...but good luck finding it in a modern version!

Krispy

NIV omits this verse! I wonder why? You are right there are some differences. What is the point of being baptised if you don't believe in Jesus?

Great Job, Krispy!

2006/3/22 10:19Profile

Re:

beenblake wrote:

Quote:
My concern in this is not for those who hold the bible dear to their hearts, but for those who hold the bible as a greater authority than Christ Himself.

My concern is for those who follow the bible before following Christ, whose hearts are so far from Christ they fear letting go of the bible and trusting in Him.

beenblake... God has a much higher value on His word than you do. I really question your understanding of scripture. Seems pretty reckless to me. Some really godly men from the past take issue with what you just posted.

Psa 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: [b]for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name[/b].

(Note that this is drastically changed in the modern versions... wonder why? It's no coincidence...)

Anyway, here is what some tremendously godly men had to say about this verse in their commentaries.

JFB commentary: Psa 138:2 -
[i](Compare Psa_5:7). thy word above all thy name — that is, God’s promise (2Sa_7:12-16), sustained by His mercy and truth, exceeded all other manifestations of Himself as subject of praise.[/i]

Spurgeon on Psalms:

Psalm 138:2 - [i]Heaven and earth shall pass away, but the divine word will not pass away, and in this respect especially it has a pre-eminence over every other form of manifestation. Moreover, the Lord lays all the rest of his name under tribute to his word: his wisdom, power, love, and all his other attributes combine to carry out his word. It is his word which creates, sustains, quickens, enlightens, and comforts. As a word of command it is supreme; and in the person of the incarnate Word it is set above all the works of God's hands. The sentence in the text is wonderfully full of meaning. We have collected a vast mass of literature upon it, but space will not allow us to put it all into our notes. Let us adore the Lord who has spoken to us by his word, and by his Son; and in the presence of unbelievers let us both praise his holy name and extol his holy word.[/i]

Matthew Henry:

[i]For thou hast magnified thy word (thy promise, which is truth) above all thy name. God has made himself known to us in many ways in creation and providence, but most clearly by his word. The judgments of his mouth are magnified even above those of his hand, and greater things are done by them. The wonders of grace exceed the wonders of nature; and what is discovered of God by revelation is much greater than what is discovered by reason. In what God had done for David his faithfulness to his work appeared more illustriously, and redounded more to his glory, than any other of his attributes. Some good interpreters understand it of Christ, the essential Word, and of his gospel, which are magnified above all the discoveries God had before made of himself to the fathers. He that magnified the law, and made that honourable, magnifies the gospel much more.[/i]

Wesley: [i]Psa 138:2 - Magnified - For thou hast glorified thy word or promise unto me more than any other of thy glorious perfections.[/i]

Krispy

2006/3/22 10:21

Re:

Quote:
NIV omits this verse! I wonder why? You are right there are some differences. What is the point of being baptised if you don't believe in Jesus?

Exactly!

Krispy

2006/3/22 10:28
MSeaman

Michigan

Hey Krispy!

so do the newer versions, completely change the fact that you have to believe in Jesus?

2006/3/22 10:32Profile

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
...and this is one of my favorites!

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

...but good luck finding it in a modern version!

Krispy

Now come on Krispy, now you're taking this a bit too far ... I gave you the Textus Receptus Greek and you're telling me the KJV is better than the Greek ????

Listen - everytime you post one of these KJV threads, I've always come on to back you up and always post this same old dumb link
[url=http://watch-unto-prayer.org/scriptures.html]Comparitive Charts.[/url] And then I have to put this same old disclaimer in ... that the Charts are good but the site and the comments between the Charts are not right on.

And you come back now with ... " ...but good luck finding it in a modern version! "

Aw pooey man ... I'll stick with the Greek and you can stick with mocking folks.

:-P
Annie

2006/3/22 10:32

Re: Hey Krispy!

Quote:
so do the newer versions, completely change the fact that you have to believe in Jesus?

If it isnt omitted in the text, then there will be an (*) beside the passage leading you to a footnote that claims that it either shouldnt be there, or the "oldest and most reliable manuscripts" omit it.

Oldest and most reliable refers to the Alexandrian Text, which has been discussed at length already. By the way, the only "proof" there is that the Alexandrian Text is the oldest is the word of the Roman Catholic Church. Not exactly a reliable source, if you ask me.

Krispy

2006/3/22 10:38

Re:

Quote:
Now come on Krispy, now you're taking this a bit too far ... I gave you the Textus Receptus Greek and you're telling me the KJV is better than the Greek ????

When did I say that?

You lost me... I dont know what you're talking about...

Krispy

2006/3/22 10:40

Re:

Maybe it's too early in the morning.
But page 14 at the bottom.
Our posts are back to back.
I'll see ya later maybe.
I'm just a wee bit tired and getting cross-eyed real fast.

Take 'er easy.

2006/3/22 10:54

Re:

I see where the mess up was.

I said Version and you came back with a verse.

I see said the half-blind lady.

I found it in ...

(LITV) And Philip said, If you believe from all the heart, it is lawful. And answering he said, I believe Jesus Christ to be the Son of God.

(MKJV) Philip said, If you believe with all your heart, it is lawful. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

(YLT) And Philip said, `If thou dost believe out of all the heart, it is lawful;' and he answering said, `I believe Jesus Christ to be the Son of God;'

but e-sword doesn't have the others, but I know what you mean ... now.
Sorry, I really haven't been to bed yet.

But it was worth it, on all accounts. I had fun on your thread actually.

And I got to post my dumb link with my dumb disclaimer again anyways.

Ha.

Love ya guy.
Have a great day ... after all.
Sorry about the mix up.
me again

2006/3/22 11:00

Re:

MeAgain... check the footnotes on those modern versions concerning that verse. The verse is in the text, but drawn into question in the footnotes.

Krispy

2006/3/22 11:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy